Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #61
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Was the Raptor R ever made available in Australia? Some nick named it VelociRaptor.

It came with 500 hp.
Raptor R was only made for the Baja 1000 AFAIK.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #62
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et View Post
Raptor R was only made for the Baja 1000 AFAIK.
I know it ran the Baja, I didn't know if they made available to Australia. I am sure you all have places it could be used too.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #63
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Nope, no Thai built vehicles for me irrespective of what badge its wearing and pretending to be. Would rather take the bus than drive a thai vehicle.
Are you serious? You won't buy a car because it was built in Thailand? I've owned 3 and they are more reliable than anything Australian or European I've owned.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #64
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 orders already taken and growing
Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #65
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Are you serious? You won't buy a car because it was built in Thailand? I've owned 3 and they are more reliable than anything Australian or European I've owned.
I find that last statement hard to believe. We have Ford Rangers and Holden Colorados as our work fleet vehicles. Absolute buckets of cheap crap. Terrible cars. They scream of cheap and nasty. Not to mention they have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. Every one of them I have driven has some kind of issue, plus cheap broken interior plastics, creaking sounds, and really really poor visibility.

I'm a die hard Ford man, but there is no way in hell I'd ever own a Ranger. I'm not a 4x4 enthusiast by any stretch, so maybe Dmax's and Hilux's are just as bad? But I honestly don't get all the praise for the Ranger. People carry on about them as if they're something else, but as soon as I drove one I was dumbfounded at how overrated they are.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #66
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
I find that last statement hard to believe. We have Ford Rangers and Holden Colorados as our work fleet vehicles. Absolute buckets of cheap crap. Terrible cars. They scream of cheap and nasty. Not to mention they have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. Every one of them I have driven has some kind of issue, plus cheap broken interior plastics, creaking sounds, and really really poor visibility.

I'm a die hard Ford man, but there is no way in hell I'd ever own a Ranger. I'm not a 4x4 enthusiast by any stretch, so maybe Dmax's and Hilux's are just as bad? But I honestly don't get all the praise for the Ranger. People carry on about them as if they're something else, but as soon as I drove one I was dumbfounded at how overrated they are.
I find your statement hard to believe as well?

It sounds like you are a diehard sedan man, or just don't like anything in regards to 4x4 pickups? The get praised because they are a good thing, are you talking PJ/K/X/XII Ranger?

Fiesta, Focus and Everest are all made in Thailand too, I'm guessing they are buckets as well?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #67
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

I hope it has disc brakes at the back. Still don't understand why drum brakes are fitted to not only the Ranger but the other brands as well.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #68
My32Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
I hope it has disc brakes at the back. Still don't understand why drum brakes are fitted to not only the Ranger but the other brands as well.
Same reason heavy vehicles still have drums - weight carrying capacity.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #69
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Wouldn't bother mate, just sour grapes cause no falcon anymore.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et
The F150 Raptor only now has more power than a normal F150 though. The first gen didnt
It had the option of the 6.2 though, which I don't think was available in regular F-150's. Only Super Duty's got the option.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 11-09-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #71
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My32Doors View Post
It really is a cost thing, disc brakes are far better. Better stopping power, better fade resistance and wear.

All the big US pickups have four wheel disc brakes including the F450 that has a 15 tonne tow rating. Likewise all the Euro vans have gone four wheel discs. The Thai Utes have kept their rear drums due to cost
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #72
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A p5 ltd had 4 wheel disc brakes in 1973. And a $70000 dollar Wildtrack has drums in 2017 and again in 2018. Come on. Is it taking that long to catch up.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #73
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by My32Doors View Post
Very few newer Prime movers and trailers still have drums.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #74
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
We have Ford Rangers and Holden Colorados as our work fleet vehicles. Absolute buckets of cheap crap. Terrible cars. They scream of cheap and nasty. Not to mention they have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. Every one of them I have driven has some kind of issue, plus cheap broken interior plastics, creaking sounds, and really really poor visibility.

You just explained every base model ute no matter where it's built.
Especially work ones, they seam to get thrashed more than the private higher spec utes.

Really REALLY poor visibility? Seriously?
I have never thought of any ute I have driven as having poor visibility. Having a tray back actually makes rear visibility better compared to a regular wagon 4x4.

You seam like you are biased and had made up your mind before you have sat in the drivers seat.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #75
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Get the Miami's back and drop them in!
Something like this ?

https://roadtoracesa.com/ranger-rtr-660/
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 AM   #76
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It had the option of the 6.2 though, which I don't think was available in regular F-150's. Only Super Duty's got the option.
Some Lariats, Lariat Limiteds, and Harley Davidson editions also got the 6.2 as an option. Not very popular though because of the 3.5 EcoBoost and 5.0. I want to say the King Ranch may have had it as an option also.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #77
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have to think like a Ford accountant.
1000 dummies will pay 80k for one with the crappie same engine. this equals profit. then release new one with better engine In 2 years and same people will upgrade to that one.
i still can't figure out how you can pay 60k for a jeep grand Cherokee limited with a great diesel engine 8 speed zf box great interior all the bells and whistles and outs pretty durable (mine is a bush car and is in heaps better Nick than my falcon ute was at 150000km). compared to the ranger xlt for the same money there is definitely something amiss
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #78
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
1000 dummies will pay 80k for one with the crappie same engine. this equals profit. then release new one with better engine In 2 years and same people will upgrade to that one.
i still can't figure out how you can pay 60k for a jeep grand Cherokee limited with a great diesel engine 8 speed zf box great interior all the bells and whistles and outs pretty durable (mine is a bush car and is in heaps better Nick than my falcon ute was at 150000km). compared to the ranger xlt for the same money there is definitely something amiss
id never buy a cherokee, wouldn't even look at one all because of one small thing... i need a ute
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #79
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
id never buy a cherokee, wouldn't even look at one all because of one small thing... i need a ute
I think his point is not that you should buy one, the point is that ute's are ridiculously expensive for what you get. I guess they get there price because people see them as a jack of all trades.

Both vehicles in my signature below cost the same brand new. One feels like it's worth twice the amount of the other one.

If I were to buy a ute again I would get a base model second hand one.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #80
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Maybe harsh, Someone educate me please... I've never understood the appeal of these overpriced 4 door ute things. no matter who makes it.
They all claim massive towing ability. 3 ton towing (most ads with half a dozen **** in the small writing below.)
The tray or tub hanging out back behind the rear wheels (centre of gravity) would surely create handling problems when it has any decent load aboard. Let alone one tonne.
Handling wise (unloaded) It must drive like a truck and not have the comfort of a car.
So its not a proper truck or ute really and its not a proper car.

The ones I have driven all feel the same.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #81
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Maybe harsh, Someone educate me please... I've never understood the appeal of these overpriced 4 door ute things. no matter who makes it.
They all claim massive towing ability. 3 ton towing (most ads with half a dozen **** in the small writing below.)
The tray or tub hanging out back behind the rear wheels (centre of gravity) would surely create handling problems when it has any decent load aboard. Let alone one tonne.
Handling wise (unloaded) It must drive like a truck and not have the comfort of a car.
So its not a proper truck or ute really and its not a proper car.

The ones I have driven all feel the same.

I'm a carpenter, I need a tray back. I need more then two seats. I'd like to tow a trailer of material. Camping and hunting is best done by access of 4wd tracks.

And the simple fact of show me a sedan or wagon that looks better than its ute equivalent
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #82
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...7f53-314879721

Quote:
However, what powertrain the flagship Ranger will employ is less clear, with suggestions it could be the F-150 Raptor's 3.5-litre 'EcoBoost' twin-turbocharged V6 petrol engine, which punches out 336kW of power and 690Nm of torque.

If the test mule’s soundtrack is anything to go by, it is likely that petrol propulsion is on the cards for the production Ranger Raptor meaning an uprated version of the mid-size ute's current 147kW/470Nm 3.2-litre five-cylinder diesel unit is unlikely. Either way, Ford assures ''an adrenaline-pumping experience.''
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #83
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Even higher up than most SUVs? Which IIRC was the reason people were getting SUVs over cars. At least, that's what I assume, because I rarely see anything in the back of them.

Mind you, I'd get one if you could fit something 1.4m wide in the back (gokart)... they're all too narrow.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #84
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
It's all media drivel, I would be waiting on Ford to confirm powertrains and I would not assume anything.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #85
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
I don't want to be negative, but I agree.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #86
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Mind you, I'd get one if you could fit something 1.4m wide in the back (gokart)... they're all too narrow.
Simple solution - Put a tray on the back.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #87
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Simple solution - Put a tray on the back.
Or they could fix the tray.
Old 13-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #88
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think youre going to struggle finding something with 1.4m space between the wheel tubs. Take 300mm for each wheel and youre already at 2m width. Most manufacturers wouldnt be worried about more than a 1.2m pallet
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #89
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
It really is a cost thing, disc brakes are far better. Better stopping power, better fade resistance and wear.

All the big US pickups have four wheel disc brakes including the F450 that has a 15 tonne tow rating. Likewise all the Euro vans have gone four wheel discs. The Thai Utes have kept their rear drums due to cost
Excuse my ignorance, but how much would this actually save per vehicle? When they're selling so many they have more units to spread the cost over. Surely it wouldn't add anything noticible to the cost of the car?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #90
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but how much would this actually save per vehicle? When they're selling so many they have more units to spread the cost over. Surely it wouldn't add anything noticible to the cost of the car?
Probably enough to make a difference, the Asian markets are hugely price driven. So things like lightweight frames and drum brakes are part and parcel of keeping costs down. Remember in many Asian countries families will cross shop these dual cab Utes against cars like Corollas, so very price driven.

In reality I can see Ranger diverging into two seperate products over time. Australia is now the biggest market in the world for Ranger so there may be more differences in the product in different markets in the future, especially as the US comes online.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: