Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #31
gozza

Hmmm - so my 400rwhp turbo should have a stock exhaust - its 3inch for a reason
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #32
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Must be that time of the month...

Anyway, you seem to have all the other go fast bits for your car e.g. suspension upgrades, lets criticise you for being too low and scraping the ground etc. It seems rather hypocritical...

Gotta love living in rural areas. Very rare to get any notices like this out here and the local mechanics are only too happy to pass your vehicles (my dirtbike and XR are rather loud...)
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |

Last edited by russellw; 14-05-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed quote
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #33
TKFRD-6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it mite be 4000rpm, cant remember what it was when i got tested, my elxr6 failed so theres a good chance that your XR8 will fail, theres not point of testing it, its all a scam, just get a standard exhaust and put it on then test it, no point of getting it tested twice after it will most likely fail the first one.
TKFRD-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #34
davonafairlane
Fairlane 4eva

Yeah I reckon it's pretty ruff to be dobbed in by someone, they've got nothing better to do and you can bet whoever dobbed you in is completly law abbiding (yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Hipocrite allert. If you think the car is ok though just book it in for a test, you shouldn't have to d.i.c.k around if it's within spec. And I totally agree that if cars have to be quiet so should motorbikes!
davonafairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #35
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

+3dB is double the noise.

passenger cars, trucks/busses and motorcycles have different regulations, so no point complaining about what seems to be excessive noise from them compared to cars.

The epa and nta websites outline the various regulations and procedures.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #36
Dezza
Parts bin special

Mine is quite loud but most of that is due to the extractors and high flow cat. Before fitting them, it was louder than stock but still fairly subtle. Personally I like loud cars just as long as it's "good" sound, not Civic with fart-cannon type of sound.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior

Last edited by russellw; 14-05-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quote
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #37
stiddy
Banned

I've seen 3 standard cars fail an EPA test and cars with full exhausts pass. Go figure?
I know this because Ive been at the Macca-nats in Penrith when they have rounded up a bunch of hoons and convoyed us to the EPA yard lol. I was lucky enough to not to be in my car at the time and passed.
I bet if ozfords had a decent car with an 8 and a lovely sounding sports exhaust it would be a different story.

Last edited by russellw; 14-05-2008 at 01:30 PM.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #38
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Well my car should be going in sometime next week so I let you all know how I went.
Old 26-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #39
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Got the test done. Passed with no problems 86db with the limit being 90db.
Old 26-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

2½ times under the limit.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #41
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

I'd be asking for a refund from the EPA.
Old 26-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #42
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtleyw
I'd be asking for a refund from the EPA.
Don't worry I will be. Even though on the letter I got from the EPA it states in bold the fee is NON REFUNDABLE.
Old 26-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Don't worry I will be. Even though on the letter I got from the EPA it states in bold the fee is NON REFUNDABLE.
Does it at least have a period where they won't ask you for another test if the same clown complains again?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #44
xquizd
Da Boss

Good news WOTDAH, maybe now the "schmuk" that reported it should get his hearing tested :

On the 6th day god created holden : On the 7th day he realised his mistake & created FORD
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #45
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I carry the results of my engineering sound test (and the engineers cert with sound drive by readings) in the car. The would have to be in a bad mood to issue me with a infringement given that evidence.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #46
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizd
Good news WOTDAH, maybe now the "schmuk" that reported it should get his hearing tested :

He should be made to wear the cost as a public nuisance fine.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #47
xquizd
Da Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
He should be made to wear the cost as a public nuisance fine.
:hihi: That'll teach him.

On the 6th day god created holden : On the 7th day he realised his mistake & created FORD
Old 27-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #48
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I don't see why everyone has it in for the EPA or the regulations themselves... I enjoy a good engine note and friggin love the sound of a throaty v8 giving it a bit BUT I do also like sleeping and peace and quiet. I have neighbour who drives a ricebox 300Z with a milo tin on the back... at idle the thing is so god damn loud it _literally_ shakes our windows and rattles the plates/glasses on the shelves. I don't enjoy being woken up early on most days of the week when he goes to move his car to let his gf's car (another rice box) out of the driveway. And sundays are even worse! Then there's when they decide to go out for a drive late at night... My Falcon is as quiet as a mouse compared to his car.

I guess what I'm saying is that the rules exist for a reason. I'm sure most of you would be ****ed off if your neighbour started mowing his lawn at 4:30 am or cutting timber up at 5 am on a sunday.

Our suburb is quite old so the houses are literally on top of one another, having a car with such a loud exhaust here is pretty inconsiderate. If you lived in whoop whoop who gives a toss... Why should I (and the rest of the neighbourhood) have to suffer for the sake of one person who's car is inappropriately loud?
Old 27-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I don't see why everyone has it in for the EPA or the regulations themselves... I enjoy a good engine note and friggin love the sound of a throaty v8 giving it a bit BUT I do also like sleeping and peace and quiet. I have neighbour who drives a ricebox 300Z with a milo tin on the back... at idle the thing is so god damn loud it _literally_ shakes our windows and rattles the plates/glasses on the shelves. I don't enjoy being woken up early on most days of the week when he goes to move his car to let his gf's car (another rice box) out of the driveway. And sundays are even worse! Then there's when they decide to go out for a drive late at night... My Falcon is as quiet as a mouse compared to his car.

I guess what I'm saying is that the rules exist for a reason. I'm sure most of you would be ****ed off if your neighbour started mowing his lawn at 4:30 am or cutting timber up at 5 am on a sunday.

Our suburb is quite old so the houses are literally on top of one another, having a car with such a loud exhaust here is pretty inconsiderate. If you lived in whoop whoop who gives a toss... Why should I (and the rest of the neighbourhood) have to suffer for the sake of one person who's car is inappropriately loud?
They should have different rules for cars that sound crap, like rice 4 cylinders with milo tins and tools in Holden V6's with fart exhausts. They should have a fine for offensive noise rather than excessive noise, so V8's are let to rumble away without any EPA hassles.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #50
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

err so your telling me that when your 6 month old starts to cry at 2 in the morning because of a loud v8 you have a smile on your face?

i do believe the test should be free if you pass on your first go, so innocent people don't have to pay for others mistakes.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #51
xquizd
Da Boss

The "schmuk" we are talking about above reported a car that he THOUGHT sounded too loud even though it was under the limit. Why the hell should "WOTDAH" have to pay for the test when this wasn't the case.

Some peoples defintion of loud is beyond me ????

Most exhausts that sound half decent are over the limit anyway.

Like someone mentioned earlier though if you have a nice exhaust that is on the louder side & drive like a tool at stupid hours of the night & morning through small suburban streets, you deserve a flogging :

Last edited by xquizd; 27-05-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 27-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #52
satria
FOXWHO

Hunter... If it's too loud you're too old!

to me a car can be loud, but it must sound good. Milo tin exhausts should be banned on non-turbo 4s/6s and most gen3 holdens sound crap and should be banned from having loud exhausts

they should drop the 'db' test for a 'thats a sweet sound!' test.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #53
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquizd
The "schmuk" we are talking about above reported a car that he THOUGHT sounded too loud even though it was under the limit. Why the hell should he have to pay when this wasn't the case.

Some peoples defintion of loud is beyond me ????
maybe the 'schmuk' should build a bridge. If the car passed while he thought it was too loud he is obviously concerning himself too much and should go home and cry to mummy instead, not waste the OP's $35.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #54
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Report him to the EPA? :hihi:

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman
err so your telling me that when your 6 month old starts to cry at 2 in the morning because of a loud v8 you have a smile on your face?

i do believe the test should be free if you pass on your first go, so innocent people don't have to pay for others mistakes.
Get a sense of humour.
Old 27-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #56
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman

My 2 year old yells "more daddy" when I take her for a ride in my too loud ute.....

Regards,
Tote
Old 27-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #57
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Get a sense of humour.
sory mate thought you were being serious. my mistake.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #58
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

The argument here is why should inocent people pay for the test if their car passes. That is all. Not that the regulations are to strong. I to do not like loud cars that is why mine is resonably quiet, I have considerations for my neighbours as I leave early to go to work and sometimes come home late. Instead of sending out these notices the EPA should do on the spot tests or authorise the police to do it and if you fail you should recieve the fine.
Old 28-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #59
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
The argument here is why should inocent people pay for the test if their car passes. That is all. Not that the regulations are to strong. I to do not like loud cars that is why mine is resonably quiet, I have considerations for my neighbours as I leave early to go to work and sometimes come home late. Instead of sending out these notices the EPA should do on the spot tests or authorise the police to do it and if you fail you should recieve the fine.
Exactly. Any clown can stand on the side of the road and say 'yeah, that's loud' but everyone's OPINION is different, that's why we have Db meters. The problem here is that one person's opinion (regardless of job status or qualification to hold such an opinion) has cost another person money. That is just plain wrong, what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? It has become guilty until you prove yourself innocent, at your own expense.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
That is just plain wrong, what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? It has become guilty until you prove yourself innocent, at your own expense.
Just like speed camera fines.