Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
badoc

Default Has my mechanic used wrong trans fluid?

Hi all,

Just seeking some advice:

Got my AUII Fairmont a transmission service today, and once I got home read on the invoice that the mechanic has used "ATF Dextron(sic) 3 Fluid".

I was pretty sure the AUs need TQ95 or 95LE?

Should I be heading back in the morning and sorting this out? Or is the Dex III fluid suitable?

Cheers in advance!

Mine: Sparkling Burgundy AUII Fairmont Sedan

Mrs: Lightening Strike SZ Territory TS TDCI

Dearly Departed

2006 SY Territory Ghia - Silhouette , 2000 AUII Wagon - Green, 2005 BA MKII Futura Sedan - Lightening Strike, 2009 FG XT - Ego, 2008 BF MKIII Wagon - Kashmir
badoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Default Re: Has my mechanic used wrong trans fluid?

No dexron will kill it,it must have tq95 and nothing else.
If he's been stupid enough to use dexron in it the trans will need to be flushed.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
badoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
No dexron will kill it,it must have tq95 and nothing else.
If he's been stupid enough to use dexron in it the trans will need to be flushed.
Holy crap! I live about 5km from the place, should I be getting it towed?

Dearly Departed

2006 SY Territory Ghia - Silhouette , 2000 AUII Wagon - Green, 2005 BA MKII Futura Sedan - Lightening Strike, 2009 FG XT - Ego, 2008 BF MKIII Wagon - Kashmir
Old 22-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dex 3 is perfectly fine, except it must be Penrite, no other brand Dex 3 is compatible, Penrite has been designed with extra additives to make it compatible with BTR transmissions, serviced that many BTR's and used Penrite Dex 3 with no issues from customers.

I use Penrite Dex 3 in all my BTR, and have for the last 4 years.

Check the brand, if Penrite, no stress, i'm not sure if any other brand has modified there Dex 3 to a similar composition to make it compatible however.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

First ive heard of it mcfly?
Ive used Castrol tq95 in my autos for over ten years and its made specifically for the btr 4 speeder,ill be sticking to it!
The chances he used the same penrite as mcfly are minimal but fingers crossed...
Just had a quick read of the dex 3 you are talking about mcfly and I wouldn't use it,its a multi vehicle ,I don't see how dex 3 is holden only and ford require a tq95 yet penrite claim to be good for both types of cars,there is a compromise on friction properties going on there,i would only be using tq 95 which is only made for the btr.

Last edited by TICKFORD220; 22-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 22-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
First ive heard of it mcfly?
Ive used Castrol tq95 in my autos for over ten years and its made specifically for the btr 4 speeder,ill be sticking to it!
The chances he used the same penrite as mcfly are minimal but fingers crossed...
Yep, can also be used in spruced up C4's too, its pretty versatile!
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Lets hope it was the penrite then!
Old 22-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nulon make ATF to suit Dex II/III and TQ95 as well. Haven't used it so can't comment how good it is, and I'm intending to use it in a T5 manual.

OP, when you talk to your mechanic, ask him what brand ATF he used, don't give him any choices, so he has to tell you instead.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
smally289
growing up is optional

www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 01:09 AM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also see http://www.theoilman.com.au/wp-conte...ison-Chart.pdf for other BTR compatibles.
Old 23-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You can also add this stuff to make your Dexron II compatible http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-251/LUBE...ersion+Formula .
Can be had on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lubegard...222504520196so if need be add this to the transmission.
Old 23-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #12
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

It will be fine.

Full synthetics are best in gearboxes though. Manual and auto.

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/GulfWesternAus/

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I was in a similar situation recently, ring up Penrite & see if they guarantee their mv a/t fluid for use in your AU. If not put tq95 or equivalent in for piece of mind, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

BTRE in their service training seminar materials, copies of which are floating around the internet, do warn that using other than TQ95 or approved equivalents may lead to harsh shifts, slipping in drive and premature gear failures. You would think the BTR engineers would know what they are talking about. I'd be putting the lubeguard in.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #15
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Its been common knowledge for donkeys years that dex 3 is a holden fluid for their autos and will kill a ford auto,why people are saying it will be fine dumfounds me..
Only ford box its meant for is the 5 or 6 speed manual.
How hard is it to just use tq95 the oil made for the btr?
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
badoc

So I ended up going to the shop to ask why Dex III was used, given it's not the right fluid.

I got a sigh and a then a load of anecdotal evidence that it's fine for the gearbox, "we've put this in dozens of taxis every year for several years... It's fine for the AU gearbox..." etc.

I asked for actual evidence that it's suitable for use in a BTR gearbox and was told he didn't need to provide any and that I was making a stupid request. I ended up leaving before the discussion degraded any further.

So I've decided I'll avoid going to the place in future. It's a shame because prior to this they've always done good work. I know they work on a load of taxis, but in this instance I think they have make a mistake and seem to be happier to lose a long term customer than just take the fluid out and put the right stuff in.

In the next week I'll drain and replace it myself.

Dearly Departed

2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
In the next week I'll drain and replace it myself.
Easier and cheaper to just add the Lubeguard (or remove 300ml 1st if necessary); it's what those overseas (UK, Europe USA and India) do with their Australian Fords, Maserati 3200GTs and Ssanyongs Rextons where the TQ95 or equivalent isn't readily available and when/where importation from OZ is difficult and it seems to work well for them. Australian supplier here: http://prostream.com.au/product/btr-...rsion-formula/ . But yes replacing it with TQ 95 is probably the perfect solution. If you are a member of the RAC or its equivalent you could also take your dispute with the shop to them (might get a refund).

Last edited by aussiblue; 25-11-2017 at 07:50 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Penrite Full Syn is what i use

Some browsing material

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...s+fluid+change

https://fordforums.com.au/vbportal/v...articleid=1210

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...c+transmission

Last edited by NCII40; 26-11-2017 at 01:15 PM.
NCII40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've been using the cheapass Burson multi DX3 for ages in my yoot, goes good and does heaps of heavy towing.

The oil he's supplied is most likely just fine.
Old 26-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

For those saying Dexron is OK read https://www.tiperformance.com.au/Ref...Speed_Auto.pdf especially pages 31 and 47.
Old 26-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And even in the FG factory workshop manual for the 4 speed BTR (used in the LPG vehicles) Ford warned that using anything other than TQ95 would result in a reduction in performance and durability.
Old 26-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

As an aside, it would be interesting to see what happens though if someone used TQ95 in a trans meant to have Dexron III.
Old 26-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #23
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
For those saying Dexron is OK read https://www.tiperformance.com.au/Ref...Speed_Auto.pdf especially pages 31 and 47.
Did you read the date on that document - 1994.
I remember all too well how many BTR's were killed using the wrong oil, back then.

It's not much different to when Ford released the ZF, nothing else could be used except the Lifeboat or whatever it's called, yet now there's several that can be used.

Things change.

Todays pooftamatique fluids have advanced somewhat since then.

BTW, I don't think anyone has said all dexron fluids are ok to use, however there are some that can.

Last edited by Sox; 26-11-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Do not know anything about Ford autos but would this apply to earlier XF 3 speed autos ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #25
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Do not know anything about Ford autos but would this apply to earlier XF 3 speed autos ?
Pretty much anything will work in those A good dexron 3 you should be fine

This whole conversation reminds me of the ZF 6speed oil. Most say you must use the ridiculously priced ZF oil. But there are many other successful alternatives .

Here's one for you. Some years ago where I work had Allison transmissions in small mini buses . The original oil was Dexron 3 . There was issues .
Now this particular Allison was nothing more than an overgrown T400.

The fix from Allison was ... Fill with a 15/40 diesel engine oil.
I'm like "No Way" but issues with overheated oil went away.
The heavier oil shifted just the same
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #26
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

It's based on the friction modifiers! One is grippy and one is slippy..
So if you switch them over, you will get a much firmer shift in the Ford and a softer shift in the Holden.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: