Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-10-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
fbvisitor

Default LT TDCI overboost fault

A quick question.

How much movement should there be in the actuator on the turbo? I'm only seeing 2-3 mm.

Trying to work out if vanes are clogged up or something else is going on. Am furiously bringing myself up to speed on how this all works and appropriate fixes that don't involve turbo removal.

Symptoms - faults P2263 and P0234 which is the overboost code causing limp mode.

Thanks, more detail to follow
fbvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: LT TDCI overboost fault

Don't know a whole lot about them but reading the WSM suggests a couple of pointers:

To ensure an optimum torque curve, a Garrett turbocharger with variable turbine geometry is used. The movable guide vanes on the turbine wheel are adjusted by the turbocharger vacuum canister by means of a connecting rod.

A position sensor is located centrally on the turbocharger vacuum canister; this forwards the position of the guide vanes to the powertrain control module (PCM) as an input variable. The vacuum to the turbocharger vacuum canister is metered by the boost control solenoid valve. The boost control solenoid valve is controlled by the
PCM .

TO CHECK THE ROTOR
– 1. With the turbocharger stationary, gently lift the shaft (the shaft will naturally lay in the bottom of the bearings).
– 2. Make sure the rotor spins freely within the housing.TO CHECK THE VACUUM CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR VACUUM1. Disconnect the vacuum line from the turbocharger vacuum control solenoid.2. Install a vacuum gauge between the turbocharger vacuum control solenoid and the vacuum line.
3. With the engine at idle the gauge should indicate a vacuum of 0.325 bar (4.7 PSI) or above.

There are other tests but those should make a good starting point.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
fbvisitor

Thanks Russell for the suggestions,

My mechanic had a quick look and asked about the actuator movement hence my question. I decided to investigate further myself.

I've driven the car for a couple of days like I stole it and have only managed to get the MIL on once (P2263 again). The car goes like a shower of **** (still) so no issues with the turbo (maybe intermittent, vanes getting stuck perhaps causing over-boost).

I've worn my eyes out scouring the web for similar issues and have come across a few simple things first and will report on how things go. I'm thinking a split inter-cooler hose, vacuum hose to the actuator diaphragm or perhaps a partially coked up set of turbo vanes.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

bad MAF sensor could cause overboost
RadioactiveX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
custard

Just a quick side question, does anyone know what is the standard amount of boost these run?
custard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
DieselFan

Does it happen at all speeds at anytime?
I'm getting that error but only after 3 hours of high way Driving
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
fbvisitor

Can happen anytime. Cold or hot, doesn't matter.

On a side note. Car engine is no longer with us. Long story not ready to be told.