Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #31
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Struggling to get an electrical apprenticeship and i'm getting nowhere fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
All good, that's cool, I like the fact I don't have to.
She's apples mate, some things in life aren't planned. I knocked the now wife up as a second year, kid when in my third year. Priorities change . Onwards and upwards and always twirling. Keep twirling.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Struggling to get an electrical apprenticeship and i'm getting nowhere fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
She's apples mate, some things in life aren't planned. I knocked the now wife up as a second year, kid when in my third year. Priorities change . Onwards and upwards and always twirling. Keep twirling.
Nothing wrong with that, I'm staying in one of those CBD buildings you mentioned earlier, hate the place, my commute at the moment is the Manly Ferry.

Sorry off topic OP.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I'm staying in one of those CBD buildings you mentioned earlier, hate the place, my commute at the moment is the Manly Ferry.

Sorry off topic OP.
The freshwater?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #34
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you really want to make yourself more valuable consider electrical/instrumentation. My son is dual trade and is a FIFO in WA and with so many people getting layed off he hasn't even looked like being considered and at 27 and $250k a year he's very fortunate.
Old 18-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The freshwater?
Sometimes depends which one comes in.
The Hunter Valley is going the same way as WA.
OP.....I read in Feb, Ownerdriver magazine Kenworth were looking to hire people at the Bayswater plant.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #36
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Become a motor mechanic. After your apprenticeship you'll be qualified. After that do all the dealer training and become a master technician and you could earn up to $25/h. Plus a tool allowance of $11/week. The sky's the limit really.
Master mechanic and then get up to $25hr ?? that can't be right...if so no wonder they are saying there's starting to be a shortage of grease monkeys.

At this stage prob not good confusing the guy with a different career - he's obviously interested in the elect field, as mentioned by another member earlier a dual trade is the way to go....I did elect then instrumentation trades then post trade refrig and this set me up for a good career ending in engineering management , all up 40+ yrs in engineering field.
So let's support the guy in pointing him in the right direction...
Old 18-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #37
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
Thanks for the comments guys, over the weekend I'll look into finding numbers to call for next week. Also I live in Melbourne northern suburbs pursuit 57, I'm not sure if I'd wana move interstate just yet, being on my own is a big step that I'm not sure I can make right now. If you have contacts down here I'd appreciate any recommendations, numbers etc.
thanks for posting your location, will keep a lookout for jobs and contacts etc for you and no doubt it will help a few others on here knowing your location.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #38
razbarb

Regarding travel, you've just gotta suck it up in construction. Some jobs are around the corner and others are across town. I'm in the northern suburbs and we work everywhere. We're lucky having easy acces to the ring road and eastlink. I was an apprentice long before the ring road was built and cross town travel was painful, even with less traffic than today.
razbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #39
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
Alright guys, my names Nick, in the middle of last year I worked at bmw in the parts area as an interpreter but it didn't work out in the end as I hated it. After quitting my job at the start of september I went and did an electrical pre apprenticeship which I finished in December last year. Since then i've had no luck with any jobs that have been advertised nor have I found contacts with people around me. It's truly depressing now and i'm starting to give up on doing it now as I'm losing the drive as theres barely any oppurtunities out there, and if they are there on the other side of the city which isn't practical. Most of my mates are useless and can't get any contacts despite working as plumbers, hvac etc and i'm all on my own. I can't really ask for advice from my parents now as they gang up and roast me if I start mentioning jobs, because all I want in life now is to try things that I think I will want to do and i'm getting nowehere fast. I'm 20 in a few months and without a current job, i'm stuck going nowhere fast, just like a dole bludger at the moment, except I don't want to accept or seek payments from Centrelink because I don't want to look and feel more hopeless then I currently am. I am looking for part time jobs also for the time being but no luck so far. Moneys drying out and i'm sick and tired of wasting time now.
I'll point out a few things here. If it comes across bluntly that's not the intention, sometimes you need a kick up the backside to realise things, I still get those now.

1. Picking on your last sentence, you wasted time writing this post. It may have been 5-10 minutes but in that time you could have contacted 2-3 businesses seeing if they had work. The worst they can do is say no.

2. If you are looking at working in construction industry the "other side of the city" isn't an excuse you can use because then you won't have work, if it was your own business you'd be under before you started so you must be open to travel.

3. Time to start looking at other options to make yourself more employable, more courses, more experience.

4. Have several backup options in case this doesn't work out, the job I'm in now isn't what I had in mind when I was your age.

5. If you get stuck with money then lean on Centrelink, I know you say you don't want to but they can get you in the door as well, at least then you'll earn something to get tools/work items and clothing.

6. I would also try and change up the attitude instead of feeling sorry for myself too, if you get knocked back, find something else and keep that up.

What you do with this information is now up to you. I won't tell you to listen or take anything on board, but start being proactive.