Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default battery light on

dont know what the problem is now but the battery light came on today....

i cleaned the terminals...no good
i degreased the alternator (power steer fluid has been leaking on it)...no good
i go up past 100kph and it turns off, go slower it turns on (only tried this once to get the degreaser).
tried revving the engine incase it did something ...no good
wasnt gonna test any of it with a multimeter incase i did something and got electrocuted...ill leave it for mr RACQ if my battery fails

any ideas?

cars booked in to mechanics on monday...battery WONT last that long

Evilchief its all in your hands monday...or whoever gets it

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A piece of black electrical tape covering the battery warning light is one fix.

The other is a slipping fan belt, or a cactus alternator, or even just time for a new battery..
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

by the sopunds of things, new alternator is what will be needed. its not charging properly. hence why with enough load from the engine, the light (dimmed?) went out. disconnect the negative terminal when you stop the car for extended periods of time (over night, while at work) that way at least you dont lose memory for stereo, trip computer etc.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
just me
AU2 XR8

correct me if i'm wrong but i think that the power steering fluid leaking onto the alternator is the biggest killer for them with something in the fluid that destroys plastic peices inside the alternator i may be wrong but something to look at
cheers
just me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
f6 typhoon

your luck your battery light come on my au the battery light never came on and the next day car would not start had to start at 5am that morning had to get jumped started by the old man got a new battery and it fixed it i think my battery was about 5 years old too maybe the voltage regulator needs fixing
f6 typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe the falcon needs BURNING then crushed into a ball and sent into the sun...

it all happens at once

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8

Old 29-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
nikos
mezzo forte

Hey you beat me to post this, I just started getting the same problem, though it seems to come on randomly. And there is still plenty of go in the battery, doesn't hesitate to start.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Power Steering oil is no good for alternators
I don't think it destroys the plastic but it will gum everything up and attract dirt/dust etc to it which will wear out the brushes and slip rings and eventually short out the regulator

Best advice is fix power steering leaks immediately
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
EvilChief
Boost Addict

chuck the multimeter on there while running and see what voltage u get, if u get around the 14v ur alt is fine, if lower, ur alt or alt regulator is cactus. when engine is turned off check voltage again and if u get less that 11.5v, ur batter is cactus. if u want a quick check, come to aitkenvale auto & dyno on monday between 1230 and 130, thats when i have lunch
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
chuck the multimeter on there while running and see what voltage u get, if u get around the 14v ur alt is fine, if lower, ur alt or alt regulator is cactus. when engine is turned off check voltage again and if u get less that 11.5v, ur batter is cactus. if u want a quick check, come to aitkenvale auto & dyno on monday between 1230 and 130, thats when i have lunch
its booked in from 8am i think....knock your self out
thanks in advance

Richie

2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8

Old 29-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
its booked in from 8am i think....knock your self out
thanks in advance

Richie

lol no dramas, will keep an eye out
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
all4fordau

The problem is the power steering fluid leaking into the alternator and cooks the voltage regulator. Repco have a good hose replacement for about $70 and then you will need to get the alternator reconditioned, about $200. I think most AU owners have had this shitty problem.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had the same problem ... had it booked in to get fixed ... the bugger died while doing deliveries the day before (bloody Murphy's Law).

Got the high pressure hose replaced on the back of the power steer pump anyway the next day ... I had NRMA replace the alternator on the side of the road for $300 ... which i thought wasn't too bad for an emergency.

I knew it was going to happen ... I had the battery light come on a fair bit and it would go away under revs ... but when it went ... everything went haywire on the dash ... lights flickered on and off ... gauges went all over the place ... and then I had a coasting car in traffic with no power.

I was lucky I had a car park coming up ... I chucked it in N to keep it coasting ... and got ready with the brakes (as there was no power for them either) ... was and interesting stop with HEAVY steering.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #14
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Default Re: battery light on AU II XR6

My battery light came on a few days ago. Battery almost didn't start tonight so have chucked it on the charger.

With mine it hasn't been power steering fluid. But I had an engine oil leak for quite a while from the timing chain tensioner. I put a lot of degreaser through the alternator. But it appears the damage must have already been done. Fortunately I have a spare.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: battery light on

Alternators are pretty simple to go through, the biggest need is usually a rattle gun to get the pulley nut loose, and a good iron to unpick the field coil wires tidily. I use a large, hot tip on an electronics soldering station and it is great - you want to melt the solder quickly without boiling everything around it. Solder sucker and desoldering braid are handy for cleanup before reassembly.

Front and rear bearings are sealed type, provided you just use a garden hose for water pressure (not pressure washer) when degreasing you won't wash the grease out.

Have a crack at rebuilding one, it's very satisfying and quite cheap.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #16
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Greetings,

I know it is a twelve year old thread about a eighteen year old car's alternator.

When I went through power steering oil into alternator scenario many years ago and opened up the alternator for the sake of it , found one of commuter segment / ring was almost ground out by oil / carbon brush. Was a good learning experience though.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2019, 05:03 AM   #17
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by George V View Post
I know it is a twelve year old thread about a eighteen year old car's alternator.
Yes but for me it's my "new" car and it seems better to add to an existing relevant thread rather than create a new one?

Appreciate all the suggestions. To potentially save $200 I think I will have a crack at repairing this. It might take me a little while to get round to it as I have a couple of other cars to get ready to sell first. In the meantime I have a spare to use.

I have also confirmed it is not the battery. Swapped batteries with another AU which does not have the warning light on and the XR6 warning light is still on so far.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Can you identify the make of alternator, maybe by looking at pictures of ones for sale online?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #19
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Thow a meter on the battery. Engine running should be > 13.5V.

If not buy a new one. Can be had on ebay from $130 2 pin 110A

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Power steering fluid usually takes the polymer insulation off some or all of the "magnet wire" windings in alternators so they no longer works.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If it's a Mitsubishi alternator, the brushes are 5×8×23-ish mm and the slip rings are usually not much worn when the brushes are spent (12mm or shorter). The reg/brush-holder is designed for brush replacement.

One aftermarket part is labelled AB5006, but they're not sourced locally - $25 or so posted.

Denso brushes are a bit longer, common to find, do not have the retention hole but may be carefully shortened.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 10-02-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I put a lot of degreaser through the alternator.
That will usually take the lubricant out of the alternator bearings as well as the take the polymer off the "magnet wire".
Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That hasn't been my experience with the Mitsu units, in either case. The field coil insulation has held up fine to solvent type degreaser, brake cleaner, shellite. And the sealed bearings have been darned near indestructible, even a twice flooded unit wasn't impacted by water or dirt. Front is a common $7 unit if required, SRE bearing about $22.

I like to see a frugal outcome that works just as well, when possible. And if I go overboard with a process like wet blasting a casing, that's another $60 staying in Australia for Aussie labour, not going to an importer of replacement units made in China.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 10-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
that hasn't been my experience with the Mitsu units, in either case. The field coil insulation has held up fine to solvent type degreaser, brake cleaner, shellite. And the sealed bearings have been darned near indestructible, even a twice flooded unit wasn't impacted by water or dirt
My observations have been different; no the alternator may not die immediately but they usually do within a few months. There is a reason while most cans of engine degreasers carry a warning to cover the alternator, distributor and other electrical and electronic parts and avoid spraying it into the face of the alternator. That said, there are now some chlorine and hydrocarbon free degreasers on the market that claim to be electronically safe and cause no damage to electronic parts or bearings e.g Electromax http://www.maxim-technologies.com/pr...rosol%20PI.pdf and perhaps CRC Natural Degreaser https://crcindustries.com.au/product...400g-3076.html but better this https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-oz-05018.html or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crc-400G-...lySk:rk:5:pf:0 If you must degrease the Alternator use one of them.

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-02-2019 at 08:33 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #25
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Thanks for all the input. Got caught up on another vehicle today. I'll make sure I post back with a response to the questions tomorrow.
I see now it was a mistake to use degreaser but I figured with all the engine oil in it it was stuffed anyway...but maybe that wasn't the case? It was spot on a few months ago that I used the degreaser though.
Old 14-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #26
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Pulled out the alternator yesterday. No identifiers I can see apart from a label from what I assume was the reconditioner? It looks the same as all my others (I've got 4 AY's and a couple of spare engines). So I assume it's the standard Mitsubishi 6G ? It looks like the diagrams in the workshop manual. Pic of mine below.

I had a spare alternator on a motor I picked up and fitted that. The battery warning light is now off so it seems that alternator was the problem.
However the replacement has a whine which can't be good. I heard the car running before I pulled the motor about a year ago and it wasn't there then that I remember. But in transit due to my carelessness radiator coolant leaked onto the alternator so not sure what damage that might have done? Maybe after I've run it for a while it might settle down?

Back to the damaged alternator. Most of the suggestions for repairing I am not familiar with. And I am not yet much of a mechanic but the purpose of all this is to learn to be better...if I can make the time;

- I don't have a rattle gun to get the pulley nut loose but was thinking of getting one. Not sure how big it would need to be for this job?

- Then a good iron to unpick the field coil wires tidily. I use a large, hot tip on an electronics soldering station and it is great - you want to melt the solder quickly without boiling everything around it. Solder sucker and desoldering braid are handy for cleanup before reassembly.
I have a couple of standard soldering irons that may not be big enough and almost no skill in using them.

- the brushes are 5×8×23-ish mm and the slip rings are usually not much worn when the brushes are spent (12mm or shorter). The reg/brush-holder is designed for brush replacement. One aftermarket part is labelled AB5006, but they're not sourced locally - $25 or so posted. Denso brushes are a bit longer, common to find, do not have the retention hole but may be carefully shortened.
If I even got this far, where do I go for these parts?

- Front bearing is a common $7 unit if required, SRE bearing about $22.
Also where would should I source the bearings from?

Thanks again.

Last edited by asimplelife; 14-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 14-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #27
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

There’s no mention by the suppliers that it’s a reco unit, so I’d presume it’s aftermarket. Whether Chinese or European I have no idea. Aftermarket bits are probably going to fit if required.

To narrow down the whine, carefully disconnect alternator from the electrical system (insulate each connector well during the test) and run the car on battery only. If the whine is still there it’s either the drive (belt, pulleys) or bearings.

Edit to clarify, you only need to remove the pulley nut if replacing the rotating assembly or front bearing (a 6303, common).

Last edited by Citroënbender; 14-02-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 14-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #28
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

In my AU ll the original Bosch alternator lasted 14 years but the obligatory seeping power steer leak got it in early 2015 .Dumb dumb here put in a new Bosch but failed to deal with the P/S issue..Idiot I am .. So a few months ago the second alternator went west for the same reason . Ended up fitting the new style high pressure hose to permanently fix the issue and was advised to go with the Mitsubishi alternator this time as it's a fair bit cheaper but just as good .

The only thing though with the AU etc Bosch alty's at least is that they do have the removable voltage regulator if that component fails , In both mine though the damage was the p/s fluid corroding the internals ..

The upgraded h/p hose kit is a much better set up all round than the old design or the repair kit for that old style set up ..Was about $120 fitted I think .

Won't happen again now . (or shouldn't) ..The Mitsy alternator was around $240 while the Bosch was nearer $320 I think.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #29
asimplelife
Donating Member2

It is definitely my replacement alternator that is whining. The whine was not there before with the same belt and the previous non charging alternator. So it will be either the alternator pulley or bearing then?
That will do me for now anyway, as discovering the front chassis rail is bent, means I have decided to retire this XR6 and use it as a manual donor vehicle, which was the original intention anyway.
Old 16-02-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You can get electrical whine, it will occur only when the charging system is connected up - hence testing with the alternator leads off, and the motor just running on the battery. No whine then, means diodes usually.