Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Default Water in spark plug valley

I think I remember reading here or on another forum about a user having idling problems and that it possibly came from arking spark plugs due to water in the engine valley. Well mine has starting having a rough idle, so i opened every thing, and low and behold water/rust deposit in the 2 spark plugs closest to the drivers side. Is their a fix, do I just leave the rubber plugs off to dry over night?

Another thing I thought was doing it, the filter was absolutely filthy, what is the best option, K&N replacement or just the bog stocker back in. Where do I buy them.

Car only has 37k on the clock......

Cheers

K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
fiesta8u

yeah my cars rough on idle, (skips a beat) it had stopped for a while but came back, still havn't had the time to figure it out though, my air filter is filthy too 19500kms, shows you how dirty our air is ayyy, so are you talking about under the airfilter the plastic cover where the spark plugs are ? did you take off that plastic cover ? ill try it tomorrow.
fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Yep, I left the cover and spark leads off over night to see if the area will dry out. I would have thought with all the heat of the engine it would dry instantaniously, but if the whole cover is sealed the evaporated air has no way of getting out, thier fore drying.
Old 17-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
I think I remember reading here or on another forum about a user having idling problems and that it possibly came from arking spark plugs due to water in the engine valley.
I think it would have been here, I did a bit of a search and found 2 threads about this issue a couple of years back

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ght=spark+plug

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ght=spark+plug
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2853

should be able to quote it autobarn or super cheap and they will be able to source it for you. the car breathes easier now, you can feel that it's a lot smoother throughout the revs.. also that sweet induction hiss is quite satisfying.

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
fiesta8u

chinw3e how about fuel does she burn alot more ?
Old 18-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

nah, i didn't really document the fuel usage before i put it on, but from what i am getting now it's still pretty good. 6.7-6.8 L per 100km on average. a little bit of fanging here and there too

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Ok, I left the car over night and dried the area out, now all Ok, seems a little smoother and no rough idle. Panel filter will be on its way, just deciding on Simota or K&N?
Old 19-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

K&N. Put mine in the day I got it. Does need a good clean every now & again, & that means undoing 10 screws.
Old 23-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
Mattis
Starter Motor

From what I have read on the UK Fiesta forums water seems to leak in via the windscreen washer jet seals/o-rings. I believe there are replacement rubber seals for them or people just run some silicone around them to seal it up.
Mattis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
fiesta8u

Well I done mine on saturday, had a really rough idle and it would bog abit when accelerating, so i ran a heap of throttle body cleaner started the car blew it through, then took the cover off got my air compressor and gave it a big woooooovvvvv, wiped it all down a tad, changed the spark plugs, put everything back together and put some gasket glue around the washer jets, hasn't skipped a beat yet and she runs great.
Old 29-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

hey all, been absent for awhile, haven't needed to drive the fez except for odd occasions :(

My fez still has a rough idle and seems to chug above 3,500rpm. plus acceleration and deceleration has gotten more rough too (jumpy).

Ford about 2 months back said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't even feel rough idle (LIES!) :

my question:

I've checked the K&N and all seems fine/clean, taken spark covers off but here's the noob question, how do you remove the sparks from inside the engine cavity? i can see some light rust powder in the cavity but i need to check the sparks? pry them out with needle-nosers or socket wrench out?

What are some other fixes for a rough idle?

sorry if they're dumb questions.

Jim
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
fiesta8u

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
hey all, been absent for awhile, haven't needed to drive the fez except for odd occasions :(

My fez still has a rough idle and seems to chug above 3,500rpm. plus acceleration and deceleration has gotten more rough too (jumpy).

Ford about 2 months back said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't even feel rough idle (LIES!) :

my question:

I've checked the K&N and all seems fine/clean, taken spark covers off but here's the noob question, how do you remove the sparks from inside the engine cavity? i can see some light rust powder in the cavity but i need to check the sparks? pry them out with needle-nosers or socket wrench out?

What are some other fixes for a rough idle?

sorry if they're dumb questions.

Jim

same thing happend with mine same process, i changed the spark plugs and put in bosch platinums $6.50 each from repco, blew it all out with a air compresser (with spark plugs in), and put some throttle body cleaner in the throttle body, shes a beast now .