Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 28-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gtb 351 - 1983 To Now And Beyond!

Hi fellow Coupe lovers, I thought it was about time I started my build thread. I'll start it with a pic of my GT at the last Hardtop Anniversary-

The story actually started in March of 1983 when I turned 18 and wanted a GT Coupe right or wrong! After several weeks searching this was the car that I fell in love with -

I found it in Adelaide in a caryard on Main Nth Rd and paid $6200 for it. My father found out after I had taken possession of the car that he had guaranteed my loan. It was a good thing that he really liked the car too or I may have been in big trouble. He is a "car person" having brought 2 Monaros new and owning/restoring a string of Jags and Triumphs over the years. Interestingly he has never brought a Holden since; owning only Fords or those English things he loves so much.

As you can see from the pics it didnt take long for some slapper bars to find there way onto the GT and it was soon run at a street meet at AIR with the result of -

That was a pretty respectable time in the mid 80's but of course I wanted 12's like the quicker street cars of the time(faster than that was considered unstreetable at that time).
The GT had a 4V engine from an XA GT Sedan fitted, it was possibly an RPO engine as it had a 780 Holley, twin point dissy and extractors(still got the block under the bench but it needs some sleeves). It had a B/W 4 speed and 3.00 lsd db rear, 14x8 and 14x10 hotwires with Kelly Springfield Supercharger tyres on the rear (all show no go). Axle hop was back breaking! So in hind sight I can be very happy with the time it ran.

Time to hit the hay, will add more tomorrow.

GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: Gtb 351 - 1983 To Now And Beyond!

You've had it all this time?? How cool is that!!

Lucky your Dad was car oriented. Mine would have made me sell it!!

Thanks heaps for sharing and looking forward to the next installment.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
EasyD

Great looking coupe there, lovin the style and you've nailed the wheel and tyre combo/ride height... how those 12's coming along?
Old 28-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

Good story. Lumpy's Pizza Pit was a top joint back in the day!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the comments, as I scan and upload my old pics(which arent that many) should see Lumpy in some at AIR.

I hit a bit of a roadblock in late 83, typical 18 yo - full of confidence and lacking skill and did some serious damage to the love of my life.

The insurance company said a cracked rear rotor was the most probable cause and came to the party. Dad had made me sell my other car to get full comp ins which was a good move. I had to hoof it or cycle for several months. I couldnt afford to do much to the GT for a long time as I was working away from home - renting etc.
By 1985 I was able to do a few mods on my tight budget -

Old 28-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Loving this thread!! It is great when you hear stories like this.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Col
Old 28-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Glen, great story can only imagine the bond between man and machine having spent 28 years together. I take it she was fixed with all new genuine parts back in 83. Looking forward to hearing more about your epic journey together. Cheers Ryan
bionic2006xr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummmmmmm ok that was interesting I don't know why it did that!
Old 28-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

Hi Glen,

Thats some very sad pictures. One hell of a job to get it back to normal. You are so lucky to still have your first car. Looking forward to hearing more.

Regards
Anthony
74xbkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. I thought I had thrown out the photos of the carnage but found them hidden with a bunch of negatives. I never wanted to see them again let alone show them; I nearly did'nt but its part of the story. I promised to treat the GT with the respect it deserved (but probably still fell into the hoon catogory) after this but also knew the car would never again be both genuine and original. I don't think I've ever owned a car that I hav'nt modified and have always classed myself as a hotrodder even though I've never done a pre 48 build. I would build the GT the way I wanted it and not worry about other peoples opinions(wish that was true!) I guess over the years the dream evolved and kept up with changes in technology but the style had to reflect the touring cars of Moffat, Carter and Goss and the Muscle cars of old.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself so back to the mid to late 80's

The rear spoiler I found still in a sealed FOMOCO plastic bag with Ford part no on (wish I could remember it) in a Speed shop in Tanunda SA called AutoCraft. It was a fibreglass Cobra spoiler with metal reinforcing tabs as per the 30 race cars but had white writing inside it - CBT 1. Interestingly the no 1 Cobra that did the motor shows was not fitted with a rear spoiler so its nice to think that just maybe that piece of history could now possibly be moulded into my GT or maybe not? I was still running 15.1s at about 93 mph as I could'nt afford an engine rebuild or anything that would "get her hopping mate". Wheels, paint, polish and blacking things out was about it, Oh and of course the Voxson Quadraphonic stereo which neccesitated chopping up the dash GRRrrrr.

This ones a bit scary! Don't remember being that skinny?
Old 29-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So 1986/87 was when the car came apart for the big rebuild.

Not much happened until December 1988 when I finally had my own shed. 30 x 20, could'nt afford concrete yet as I wanted to spend on the car. Initially sanding and sandblasting (I'm no panelbeater).

The very tired 4V engine was delivered to he who shall remain nameless for a performance rebuild but I quickly discovered he was a shonk and entrusted the Mueller Bros in Tanunda with it. Their reputation is A1 and Bob is still well known as the Cleveland Guru of the Barossa Valley. Bob and Phill entrusted the machining to Greg Flaherty (pro Stock champ-only ford out there-Shotgun - ate everything at the time) -
+30 forged flat tops
DOAE rods deburred, polished, magnafluxed, resized SPS bolts
4MA crank balanced etc
oil restricter kit
Hi flow 2H erson cam
rhoades hydro lifters(don't think they liked the oil restrictor kit)
4v heads had the ports welded up and were hi-ported
Holley strip dominator
mallory twin point dissy
yella terra roller rockers
etc

The body work was to be done by Gus Lange also in Tanunda and we decided to get it all dipped at Minus Paint in Adelaide in mid 89? before he commenced work. Gus is a legend and has cars and Rods from all around Aus come into his workshop. The whole car was file finished and his work was amazing.

Sorry about the poor quality and lack of photos. I was not big on photography but wish I had documented the GT more.

Here She is coming home from Gus' or going to start on paint in july 90.

Old 29-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
T-Pak Addict
Jim

So far great story... Good to see story's like this....

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

I like how you have moulded the rear spoiler on. Did you cut the end pieces to give it a cleaner line?

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey man, love the story so far. Out of interest, what size wheels are you running front and rear and also what offset are they. You have nailed the rear offset wise.

Cheers, Shane
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

This Thread has....

Felt my mouth drop when I saw the Damage :(

Keep the stories coming!!!

Any chance of a thread for the drag car as well Glen?

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Carrie On

loving this, what a great story.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, thanks for the comments, I should have started this thread a long time ago. I'll have to keep the momentum going now.

Quote:
bionic2006xr6t Hi Glen, great story can only imagine the bond between man and machine having spent 28 years together. I take it she was fixed with all new genuine parts back in 83. Looking forward to hearing more about your epic journey together. Cheers Ryan
Hi Ryan, been keeping an eye on your build too and its coming along great. The repairer that fixed the GT after the carnage used mostly 2nd hand parts and too much bog which is why I stripped the car to nothing and started again. Owe you and your Dad a big thankyou for finding some mouldings for me to replace the ones the painters lost-thanks. You should try and get to the coupe cruise on Anzac day, sure the guys won't mind if you bring your Dads XB ute.

Quote:
74xbkoop Hi Glen,

Thats some very sad pictures. One hell of a job to get it back to normal. You are so lucky to still have your first car. Looking forward to hearing more.

Regards
Anthony
Thanks Anthony, after seeing your stand out XB at the Hardtop Anniversary I've still got a long way to go to get the car to your standard. Your car just blew me away; it was well deserved best XB.

Quote:
Tha Jack I like how you have moulded the rear spoiler on. Did you cut the end pieces to give it a cleaner line?
I think it may have had just a slight trim, 22 years ago so I think I have since killed those brain cells by drowning them in alcohol. Still no cracks which is testament to Guses expertise.

[QUOTE][melon466 Hey man, love the story so far. Out of interest, what size wheels are you running front and rear and also what offset are they. You have nailed the rear offset wise.

Cheers, Shane /QUOTE]

17x8 and 17x10.5 Junk yard Dogs by Boyd Coddington. They were meant to have 5 inch back space at the rear but only have 4 inches so I didnt think they would fit. The fronts also had less back space than ordered but also work. The new diff is an inch narrower so I can get a drag radial on them with more sidewall. Currently running 315/35/17 Sumitomos which actually hooked up well enough at Heathecote to blow the old diff.

Quote:
xbrules This Thread has....

Felt my mouth drop when I saw the Damage :(

Keep the stories coming!!!

Any chance of a thread for the drag car as well Glen?
LOL Thanks Dave, gotta love piccard.
Probably include some of the drag car in this thread as it used the GT's running gear for a long time. I don't have many photos of it but lots of old VHS footage - I only just worked out how to upload photos so don't hold your breathe.
Old 29-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks man, in theory an 11" rim with 5" backspace should fit fine on the rear.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The paint prep was done By Steve Kassebaum and started in july 1990. Steve had helped cover the car as I stripped it with one pack red/brown. You can see him hard at work in some of the following pics.

The GT was clear coated to seal it as my budget was blown and the owner of the booth was coming back from holidays so I had to get the car out. It finally had a concrete slab to sit on when it got home (only one bay). The exterior paint wouldnt be happening for a while but I could finally put some of the car back together.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #20
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Mellon466, you may still be pushing it going that offset, my rears only fit because the lip was cut off in the 90's.

Do a search as theres a couple of threads on what fits best on a coupe. I know there are a few cars with 12 inch rims on the rear with no lip mods.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
bionic2006xr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=GTB 351]Wow, thanks for the comments, I should have started this thread a long time ago. I'll have to keep the momentum going now.

Hi Ryan, been keeping an eye on your build too and its coming along great. The repairer that fixed the GT after the carnage used mostly 2nd hand parts and too much bog which is why I stripped the car to nothing and started again. Owe you and your Dad a big thankyou for finding some mouldings for me to replace the ones the painters lost-thanks. You should try and get to the coupe cruise on Anzac day, sure the guys won't mind if you bring your Dads XB ute.

I will let you know about ANZAC day as its gets closer are you going to the All Ford Day this year I may see you there?
Cheers Ryan
Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will go to the AFD for a look but the GT will not be there, I'm still working on the new engine and rear end. Will show a pic of the new diff in a day or 2. Got to get pinion angle right and have not ordered the Wilwood brakes for it yet; still crawling through catalogues.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey GTB the story is great to have a gt for such a long time is amazing, So what is happening with the car now.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
79FordEsky Hey GTB the story is great to have a gt for such a long time is amazing, So what is happening with the car now.
This is what I'm up to at the moment -

You can see the damage in no 5, hers more -

Killed the hi-ported 4V head - failed a pressure test, hence setting up the 3V bits but got a clearance issue -

And thats with out the air cleaner fitted.

Heres some shots of the motor going back together the week before the Hardtop Anniversary.

Actually all we did was fit the cam pos sensor which you can see in the timing cover. I had been running without one up to then and was running in batch fire mode. I could now go full sequential. Pity I did'nt test the valve springs while it was apart My nephew Nigel is the MoTec guru who also did the engine loom and much much more. I'm working on the motor in a good friends workshop who has also helped me so much with the car and is responsible for making all the billet stuff and much much more , in fact, the GT would probably still be in a million bits hidden in the back of my shed if it was not for him(and my wife would be much happier! )
Old 02-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #25
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jan 91 More painting and starting to put the car back together!

Then finally dropping the motor back in with the help of my wife.

And putting a cover over the project.

This was how the GT would stay for 6 or seven years. I started working on other car projects - 65 F100 with 460 BB and a Fairmont Coupe which I ran at street meets at AIR regularly for quite a few years.

Heres some shots of effy, I changed it a lot over the years. I sold it last year to a nice family in Sydney.

Last shot from cruzin mag of the Nostalgia Drags at AIR. That was my 1st qualifier - smoked em the whole quarter. Snapped an axle on the next run and still drove it back to the Barossa.

Time for bed, next will be the black coupe(originally mulberry metallic)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

Top stuff Glen.
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the story....I have a Yellow Blaze..GT Coupe as well had it since 1985 purchased it before I got married...still married and still have the coupe...she is a great girl my wife.....it's funny that there are quite a few coupe owners of similar vintage in age and time line of owning coupes...Eric Bana for one...

I had mine out the other day and it still turns heads and gets thumbs up from alot of motorists.....the neighbours still don't appreciate the 'beautiful noise' it makes at 6 am...

Have been in FGTOC of NSW for 26 years and most members lean more to a stock look ....not me ....big guards equals bigger rubber.....will never ever be taken back to stock...yuk...great to see your coupe is in good hands...
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #28
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could'nt agree more Brute 33, but we are heavily outnumbered in our clubs. Sometimes it feels like being in a historical society.

Going to jump ahead to now for a bit and show off the new diff -

It was made by Pat Larizza at Extreme Drivelines.
Its a full floater 35 spline alloy housing just a wee bit narrower than standard. I've got a Strange pro case, Detroit locker etc thats been waiting for a number years for this diff.
I knew my old diff would not take much when I first got the car on the road and started getting organised to do the diff about 5 years ago. I was getting some grief about the blown budget (again!) So the diff was forgotten for a while, after all, I could drive the GT now so that would do would'nt it? Just had to keep the tune soft and not let the right foot play up - easy?!?!
All went to plan until a few months before Echuca when I decided to step it up a bit. I did'nt want to be embarassed at Heathcote so built the new pipes, put the cam position and wide band lamba sensors on, got a good sequential tune etc. Decided I'd run the car with exhaust and street tyres to be on the safe side - did'nt matter, as many of you know the first launch killed the diff. I was a bit surprised as I thought I was taking it easy. I would have been happy with one clean run to see my mph through the traps, but it was not to be. It turned out I did some engine damage too, but thats for later, cheers for now.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #29
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

That's a neat piece of driveline.
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #30
Saraco

Diff looks killer, Glen!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post