Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What Mods Do They Do To Cop Cars?

Hi, just wondering what mods they do to cop cars? I would be real interested in what they did to the EL XR8 in NSW? Anyone know about this?

riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing - they are standard cars. Some have beefed up electrics to cope with all of the extra stuff they run, but that is it for the most part
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing performance wise.
Different instrument cluster, better brake pad material, interior lights that could be completely switched off.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Electric Windows (so they could lock the back windows)
2km increment speedos
interior light switch
Search for OPT20, i have spoken on the topic many a time. The 'cop chip' is a myth, if that's what you're asking.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

They were thrashed for the first 50,000 klm then sold off.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its funny people always think of police cars as haveing special hp mods , sometimes it is simple small items that allow them to do the job better.
a bit of trivia , back in the 70`s (XC days) they used to get high speed mods/fixes for the interceptors, for example, fmx auto`s had a habit of blowing auto oil out the dip stick over the engine and hot exhaust manifolds and setting fire to the engine at sustained high speed, (a few came back on tow trucks with burnt engine bay),
so they had a breather modifications, the 1/8 inch hole on the front of filler tube was brazed up, another hole was drilled on the rear of the tube 4 inches down and a peice of fuel line brazed on to it ,a peice of auto cooler hose was then run back to the breather on the auto solving the problem, i doubt they need this sorta thing with todays non foaming lubricants, wheels that came from roh for the police cars had less run out than standard general public rims, at the end of the roh production line they had a guy with a dial gauge checking run out, the very good ones went to vic police, the average ones went to joe public, and over a certain measurment were rejected, i think it was 10 thou, but i could be wrong (it was a long time ago ), so it would not surprise me if the chasers still got some good treatment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Special sticker package and pretty flashing lights....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Krispy Kreme holder on the dash ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
spannerman

Reminds me of a movie

Elwood - Its got cop tyres cop shocks cop brakes its the model befor catalic converters so it will run good on regular gas
so watta ya say is it the new blues mobile or what

Jake - Fix the cigerette lighter

On a serious note I was working as an apprentice for ford when these where on the road they where constantly comming in for service with standard cracked front disc rotors
At that stage they where all leased by custom fleet and they where allowing us to fit DBA slotted disc rotors most of them had this done at around the first service (1500km) as the standard ones had cracked by then due to extreme use I also think they were fitted with Bendix ultra brake pads

appart from what else has been already mentiond that is about it pretty much standard XR8 that has had the bejesus floged out of it
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I fit out Ambulances at work and they have a MASSIVE amount of extra electricals involved, with a police car its most likely just the extra stuff for the beacons and LED flashers and siren.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

The cop chip is not a myth, a mate had a EB SXR8 with 'cop mods' as it was an ex cop car.

It had an aftermarket computer and a lumpier camshaft. This is a 302 Windsor in a 17 year old car that would rev past 9000rpm regularly. No pings, no misfires, nothing.

The new HWP cars (in Queensland anyway) have a similar treatment.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
GYRKIN GT

The only Mod to any Police vehicle that I'm aware of is the addition of the E.V.W. (Enhanced Vision Windscreen) Not exactly sure how it works but, putting it simply, the E.V.W. enables the vehicle's occupants (the Police) to easily identify each and every "WHOMEEEE" out there.

For example,

Constable, "Sir, I've just checked your speed at 125 in a 100 zone"

Response, "Who, meeeeeeeeeeeee"
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They have the same mods as fleet and hired cars...
They are thrashed the first 50.000 klrs...
Although well serviced...
Btw I thought it was the other way around with defects ..
Slight defects went to Gov depts as discounts, including brake rotors..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
The cop chip is not a myth, a mate had a EB SXR8 with 'cop mods' as it was an ex cop car.

It had an aftermarket computer and a lumpier camshaft. This is a 302 Windsor in a 17 year old car that would rev past 9000rpm regularly. No pings, no misfires, nothing.

Yeah a mate spoke to a guy at the pub who's cousin who used to work with an excopper. He said during the 80's and 90's all the V8's got a bigger carby and the cop chip. Also got clutchless manuals and special head light fluid.
The only complaint the chip wouldn't let the secondary open up on the carby unless the blue lights were on.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of these stories seem to be a little bit too far fetched. At the end of the day, these are fleet vehicles required to do the bare minimum job all the while being serviced at the usual bare minimum required for fleet servicing.

The police would not modify their vehicles in such a way that would:
- Impact upon the warranty of the manufacturer
- Impact on the scheduled fleet servicing of the manufacturer
- Impact upon the safety and OHS requirements of the law;
- Impact upon the resale of the vehicle once the vehicle is offered for sale.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
random1
Starter Motor

Quote:

Not a chance! as a former ford employee i can assure you that was not the case. IF it did have those mods??? it would have been done after the police sold it off.

I have seen cop cars ordered with brake upgrades on hyw cars, but only the same brakes in which any member of the public could have spec’d from factory eg: GT brakes

As for performance, nil mods. Except! for the vehicles used in protection... such as prime ministers chase car... even then, they are done after market and not factory.
Bullet proofed/armored vehicles receive after market upgrades to help shift the extra weight around…
Chip is a myth!
As for having a Lumpy cam? never seen one done from factory in my life.
random1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Yeah a mate spoke to a guy at the pub who's cousin who used to work with an excopper. He said during the 80's and 90's all the V8's got a bigger carby and the cop chip. Also got clutchless manuals and special head light fluid.
The only complaint the chip wouldn't let the secondary open up on the carby unless the blue lights were on.
See I know your pullin me leg there because the cop cars have red and blue lights.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by random1
Not a chance! as a former ford employee i can assure you that was not the case. IF it did have those mods??? it would have been done after the police sold it off.

I have seen cop cars ordered with brake upgrades on hyw cars, but only the same brakes in which any member of the public could have spec’d from factory eg: GT brakes

As for performance, nil mods. Except! for the vehicles used in protection... such as prime ministers chase car... even then, they are done after market and not factory.
Bullet proofed/armored vehicles receive after market upgrades to help shift the extra weight around…
Chip is a myth!
As for having a Lumpy cam? never seen one done from factory in my life.
I have it on questionable authority that there is a performance shop here in Brisbane that is affiliated with the Queensland Police somehow.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

The BT1 Police spec 5 litre Commodores from the early 80's had V5H motors in them which were exactly the same spec as the Brock Group 3 motors of the time, minus the headers.
They had "B" Cast heads with L34 valves and heavier springs, blue printed carby and port matched inlet manifold, re graphed dizzy, delete EGR valve, electric fuel pump, cold air intake with high flow air filter, no power steering all in a base SL Commodore, kind of like the last of the 351 XE interceptors.
The only way you could get a 351 Clevo in 1982 was to buy a ESP or the Cops could order them in Falcon GL spec.
Rumour has it that the last ten 351 Clevo's were all cop cars and came down the production line in November 82
Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
james22
With da Warlords

My XR8.
Ex HWP patrol car from victoria.

OPT20 - Compliance Plate.

Light switch on interior, that completly disable's all interior lights and boot light
Upgraded alternator, extra relays and fuses to accomodate electricals.
Instrument cluster, that can be calibrated to +/- 10% of your speed. (So they can be calibrated exactly (also has 2km/h incremnts rather than the std 5)

Various scratches and holes drilled thorughout the console and dash / spears from all their junk lol.

Thats about it

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

In the 1970's SOME country coppers would get the local workshop to throw a bigger cam and a set of heads on and do carby mods etc...........
That info came from an article about police interceptors in Australian Muscle Car magazine a couple of months ago, and came straight out of a retired cops mouth .

And BTW it WAS common practice for Ford and Holden to give the coppers evaluation cars to try on the highway, I can confirm that they were given a plain looking VR Commodore executive with a 5.7 Holden stroker in it back in the mid 90's to test.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern ones i'm not sure about, but in the 80's the Qld Transport dept police could modify their cars how ever they wanted, within "legality" would allow so long as they weren't sold like that.(bigger turbo on VL's) I worked as a detailer for Fairdeal Holden and the police interceptor/chasers were Brock Commodores that were then modified by the police.
My father in law was a police driving instructor and mechanic in the '70's and a lot of cars back then were un-badged GTs and he converted many of them to automatics.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
See I know your pullin me leg there because the cop cars have red and blue lights.
not in the 80's they didn't
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Posted by random1

As for performance, nil mods. Except! for the vehicles used in protection... such as prime ministers chase car...

Speaking of the Prime ministers protection cars. In adelaide last year saw one of them, a white Calais V V8, LED lights in the grille and in front of the rear view mirror and back parcel board..... also racing harness seatbelts. Funny seeing two men in dark suits with bright red racing harness on.

That car must be a weapon. Does anyone know about these vehicles? I know they also use Territory Turbos.

Last edited by Brazen; 10-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The ARE custom PCM tunes from Ford that are applied to some Police vehicles - propbably pursuit vechiles as they are only for V8's in BA/BF and I6T's in FG. I don't know if they are there for different mappings, or if they are there for fixing specific problems that come about due to the way police cars are driven. These mappings have versions across just about all the PCM hardware variants for those models that I can see.

3R23-12A650-BHB Barra - Falcon XR8 Auto Police
5R29-12A650-BKB BF - Falcon XR8 6spd Auto - Police
AR29-12A650-BAA I6T 6SA Sedan - Police Turbo 6-speed auto sedan

Lukeyson
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerman
Reminds me of a movie

Elwood - It's got cop tyres, cop shocks, cop brakes, it's the model before catalytic converters so it will run good on regular gas. So watta ya say, is it the new blues mobile or what?

Jake - Fix the cigarette lighter.
Dang, you beat me to it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #27
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unicorn blood
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
bigger carby and the cop chip.
Fuel injected carby???
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Fuel injected carby???
fuel injected , wyn's protected....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

The XR6 Turbo hwy patrol cars i have seen in Sydney all have upgraded brakes and typhoon wheels.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post