Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #481
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Life and things change- fair or not. Why can a healthy human now live to 90 but 200 years ago they could only live to 50 odd- that's not fair.
What's not fair is expecting young people to pay the taxes to pay the pensions for these 90yo's to survive while they own 1mil+ properties, especially when those pensions wont be around by the time those same young people are that age.

Quote:
Life has never been easy on many levels- wealth acquisition, property acquisition, health, wars- and it never will be- the only constant will be the challenges will always be there and never be the same.
There are challenges, and there are outright roadblocks. As a society, we need to recognise the difference. Plowing $$$$ into property is economically unproductive, it doesn't increase our prosperity (by improving our productivity). What do people do when they pay off a house? They buy stuff, they do stuff, stuff that involves spending money. That benefits the wider economy. If someone is shackled to a mortgage their entire working life, they don't spend, it drags the entire economy down.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #482
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
So what should the young do- rise to the challenge and be adaptable or simply roll over belly up and give up?
Well that is an interesting point, if people decide that the challenge of slaving to service a mortgage debt for 30yrs from age 30 isnt worthwhile have they really rolled over and given up or just decided that theres more important things and the alternative isnt that bad.

People who own look down on those who dont rise to the challenge as weak, wasteful and failures but in many cases they couldnt be further from the truth, to some people it isnt that big of a deal.

Anyhow, im a renter so i'll have to leave it at that now as i've got to get down to the local TAB for a bet, the grog shop for a goon bag, Smokemart for some durries and a $5 coffee and if my Centrelink benefit thats funded by your taxes permits, $300 on 1c pokies before i come home and sleep the day away.
Hey Leesa, wanna tag along?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #483
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hey Leesa, wanna tag along?
Hell yeah! But first I'm off to get an avocado toast breakfast at my local joint and then swing by the Apple store to pick up the new $1500 iPhone 'cause my current one is 6 months old and outdated already.

Edit: Incase it wasn't clear... that was sarcasm... who even likes avocado?!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #484
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Yeah and they're all old enough to have missed the market inflation, they all bought when the house/income ratio was still reasonable. The market went bad AFTER you bought. If you thought it was bad when you bought... it's now even worse and out of reach for a great many people. Can you understand that??

You're just being wilfully ignorant.
And you're just looking for continued excuses to do nothing. I have nieces and nephews who are buying houses or flats in their 20s - what are they? Ghosts?

Anyways...
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #485
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Earlier, I did suggest an alternative!
But No, It always degenerates into the “haves and have nots”

Anyhow, I’m off to feed the howler monkeys, and watch the leaf-cutter ants decimate another azalea!.. (And that costs zero)
You guys seriously need some Pura Vida !
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #486
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post

Anyhow, I’m off to feed the howler monkeys, and watch the leaf-cutter ants decimate another azalea!.. (And that costs zero)
I looked up Pura Vida to find out what exotic alcohol fuelled magic I could acquire to consume this evening to calm my frayed nerves on a difficult matter I have to run on Monday.

Only to find out that I am clearly in my stressed state addicted to substance abuse to relieve my symptoms.

Anyways- what a wonderful philosophy- and a quick google of Costa Rica looks like it is a paradise. Congrats and how long you been there.

Really makes one wonder where Australia has been going so wrong lately........what happened to that late 70's of "no worries- she'll be right"

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #487
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Lots of alternatives Charlie.

In wa the housing prices are dropping big time, in all sectors.

My house is down $125k from it's peak.
A relos $2.5m condo has dropped 1.1m.

My azaleas are being decimated by lack of rain.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #488
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I looked up Pura Vida to find out what exotic alcohol fuelled magic I could acquire to consume this evening to calm my frayed nerves on a difficult matter I have to run on Monday.

Only to find out that I am clearly in my stressed state addicted to substance abuse to relieve my symptoms.

Anyways- what a wonderful philosophy- and a quick google of Costa Rica looks like it is a paradise. Congrats and how long you been there.

Really makes one wonder where Australia has been going so wrong lately........what happened to that late 70's of "no worries- she'll be right"
Your new found wealth should go towards a bottle of Macallan single malt.

No worries at all after that!

XC Cobra #181.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #489
leesa

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about with pura vida, is that a place? I thought it was a joke.

As I'm not having kids, moving 14'000km away from the only family that I have (and will ever have) seems... extreme and very lonely. Maybe later in life, who knows but for now my parents are still alive and being around for my parents, sisters' and nieces' birthdays and christmas is more important to me than owning my own place 14'000km away. **** on me all you like. It doesn't change the fact that housing in this country is ****ed and has affected the lives of many people.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #490
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can't invest in real estate, invest in something else. My understanding is that in many countries, the people accept owning their own house is out of reach, and put their money into other investments. Don't just **** away all your money in the here and now.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #491
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The banking royal commission and end of interest only loans means housing will be soft for the immediate future.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #492
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about with pura vida, is that a place? I thought it was a joke.

As I'm not having kids, moving 14'000km away from the only family that I have (and will ever have) seems... extreme and very lonely. Maybe later in life, who knows but for now my parents are still alive and being around for my parents, sisters' and nieces' birthdays and christmas is more important to me than owning my own place 14'000km away. **** on me all you like. It doesn't change the fact that housing in this country is ****ed and has affected the lives of many people.
angry is angry

you wont get anywhere in this life being angry and playing the victim
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #493
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Move out here to Broken Hill and get a job in the mines. There are plenty of guys I work with that came with no experience (including myself) and now earn a 6 figure pay cheque. Houses start in the 5 figure bracket. Mildura is just down the road or you can be in Adelaide before lunch.

If you can't get into the property market, look outside the box.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #494
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Move out here to Broken Hill and get a job in the mines. There are plenty of guys I work with that came with no experience (including myself) and now earn a 6 figure pay cheque. Houses start in the 5 figure bracket. Mildura is just down the road or you can be in Adelaide before lunch.

If you can't get into the property market, look outside the box.
that would mean a sacrifice of comfort zones...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #495
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

An equal time roster allows you to get pretty comfortable.

For those looking for a high rental return, Broken Hill is worth checking out. There are a number of new projects coming online in the area soon including the Hawsons iron ore project. That is meant to bring 1200 construction jobs and 500 ongoing jobs alone.

Last edited by naddis01; 02-06-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #496
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

For those looking for a high rental return, Broken Hill is worth checking out. There are a number of new projects coming online in the area soon including the Hawsons iron ore project. That is meant to bring 1200 construction jobs and 500 ongoing jobs alone.
You're talking common sense and showing unwarranted initiative to lift yourself up by the bootstraps. You'll get run out of town with that sort of crazy talk
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #497
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Will be good if it takes off but I’d be wary. China is chasing high grade ore - it’s not what it used to be. There’s iron ore companies (smaller ops) that are closing up shop at the end of the year in the West due to the current climate.
Look at Hedland a few years ago - asbestos dumps going for over a million, rooms being rented for $800 a week, houses at over $4000 a week. It was like that for quite a few years. Place is a ghost town now. You can buy an older place for under 100g and there’s plenty of empty rentals. A lot of people made huge money and a lot of people lost a lot of money also. Will be good for Broken Hill if it can get off the ground.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 02-06-2018 at 11:22 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #498
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the way into the housing market is to leave your friends and family and move to the desert? There’s over three million people aged 20 to 29 as of 2016, I trust there’s enough mining jobs for all of them? Broken Hill is going to get pretty crowded.

Anyone who thinks it’s as easy today to buy a house as it was before is deluded. That’s not to say it’s as impossible as it’s made out to be, but if you compare house price growth to wages growth from 1986 (my birth year) to now the difference is astronomical. You could live off one wage, raise the kids with Mum staying at home before, today depending on where you live probably not.

Personally I believe if you’re lucky enough to have a partner that you’re planning a future with, it’s not overly hard to live off one wage and save the other. In a few years you’ll have enough to buy a house in cash, no mortgage required.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #499
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We are getting a fair way off topic and I'm not giving anyone any advice but If you have 10 minutes spare, have a look their website if you want more info.

https://www.carpentariares.com.au/hawsons-iron-project/
Old 03-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #500
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa
So now I just blow lots of money on hobbies and toys, knowing that the market is probably not likely to correct within my lifetime.
leesa,

Perhaps you need to assess what Future leesa from 2023, 2028 etc wants. Do you want to continue to "blow lots of money" and rent unhappily, or do you think you can cut back on the spending and own a house? Do you want to stay in the inner-city, or could you see yourself moving away from there, work-life & social-life permitting?

You could reduce the money-blowing aspect and park $$$ aside in at the very least a high-interest (3% = "high" haha) account. Watch the $$$ grow as you add to it each pay, plus the compound interest. At some point in the future this $$$ will be your way into the property market, somewhere. Sooner = regional, later = city. Or at the very least you'll look at your healthy balance a couple of years down the track & realise it's too big a pile of money to just blow on hobbies and toys. It could also be your "oh sh*t!" fund if say you lost your job or had some other financial hardship to deal with. It could be your "I'm leaving the city and starting fresh regionally" fund, where you studied for a different career path or had some other medium-term cashflow reduction (a regional "pay the bills" job whilst deciding where to next?).

You could kick-start such an account by selling some of your toys / unwanted stuff. Sure, you may have bought item A at $1k and be selling it months later for $200, but whilst said item is in your possession it's a $1k sunk cost versus a $200 cash injection. Multiply this across several toys & you could have several grand to begin with.

There are other ways to build up a deposit but they come with their own risks, complexities, pitfalls. A "high"-interest savings account is the most basic way to go about it, just note the compound-interest is thwarted compared to other ways.

Where do you work, and (non-stalkery) where do you rent? Could you move somewhere cheaper which won't overdo the transport to-from work aspect to allow you to accelerate your savings? What aspect of your profession tethers you to (presumably) the inner-city?

24/7 shops and having every conceivable service literally at your fingertips via an app can force people to live a much poorer life than they would otherwise have if they moved to an area where these things don't exist.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #501
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Brief explanation of Pura Vida...
https://www.vacationscostarica.com/t...ide/pura-vida/
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #502
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow could have saved all that money on shrinks and just come here to realize where i went wrong ,i have only been existing not living.im to old to know whats going on.having grown up in braybrook with a single mother(which if you are from melb will know it is far from a privy area)and was trying to save for a house though the recession we had to have,working frequently without pay just to help keep everyone surviving.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #503
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They said never discuss politics and religion.

Now add housing to that- its the new "religion," you have believers and non believers

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #504
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But they need to be adaptable and think outside the square.
Agree 1000% with this but forward planning also doesn’t seem to be a strong suit of my fellow Gen Yers..

10yrs ago when our friends were buying inner city shoe boxes for ‘the lifestyle’ I bought a decent house on a decent sized block 20kms out of the city purely for the fact that it was relatively affordable and that it gave us a positive first step into the market. It offered options and adaptability. We were essentially called idiots.

Fast forward 10yrs and we’ve developed the property, added value to the original home on the site and have multiple income streams as a result. Our friends on the other hand have now outgrown their inner city shoe boxes, still owe a packet on their mortgages and are essentially trapped in their own homes. Extending or relocating involves expending at least $150K on agents fees & stamp duty (I.e. p!ssing away their capital gains) or digging an even deeper hole with their mortgage.

Now with a young family our priorities have changed and we’ll be selling the lot to fund the construction of our dream home. Something that would have definitely not been possible if we hadn’t thought outside the box and applied ourselves to our goals.

The moral of the story here is use your brain, not your head.

Last edited by chich; 03-06-2018 at 11:02 PM.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #505
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
wow could have saved all that money on shrinks and just come here to realize where i went wrong ,i have only been existing not living.im to old to know whats going on.having grown up in braybrook with a single mother(which if you are from melb will know it is far from a privy area)and was trying to save for a house though the recession we had to have,working frequently without pay just to help keep everyone surviving.
yes mate, you have achieved nothing but to exist
I'll have to tell the Mrs's this one that all we've done is exist and our kids are worse off for it.
Also, I'll have to go visit those other existing living previous tax payers on their pensions/retirement homes etc that they are a purge on todays society.
I make some comment and its belittled for it didn't suit a fellow poster.
All power to you mate.
Seemed like, nothing stays the same but you get on with it, you always have to make a choice, getting married or not, having kids or not AND you don't have to have a mortgage.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #506
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I make some comment and its belittled for it didn't suit a fellow poster.
Whats this, the guy who did it so tough belittled by someone with a difference of opinion, toughen up princess.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #507
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

lol...hey big man, I have no problem with difference of opinions thats everday life just depends how its expressed and yours was just arrogance more than anything else and you don't like my earlier post, harden up yourself.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #508
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
lol...hey big man, I have no problem with difference of opinions thats everday life just depends how its expressed and yours was just arrogance more than anything else and you don't like my earlier post, harden up yourself.
Arrogant, lol, im admitting its harder for todays kids to make a start and that some choices shouldnt need to be made in order to own your own home and some 50yr old who got in before prices went through the roof suggests he had to make the same sacrifices and im arrogant.
Calling a spade a spade is not arrogance champ, its a reality which you've clearly avoided due to your timing, thats it.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #509
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

you've been waiting for me...
Mate, so because I avoided the boom/s in that case must have been even easier for those before my times eh, you really sure what your saying.
People in the 40'/50's buying homes @ 7500lbs for eg, were paying off those loans all their lives as well and making trying to make ends meet ! (oh when living expense's were low and everything else FFS) those days they were paying off buying tv's from David Jones/Grace Bros whereas today most people buy them outright.
Different figures but same hurdles, hard bloody hard for some some get on with it some make it harder for themselves.
You quoted $450p/w @ 25yrs labouring, I have a concreting owner brother inlaw, those labourers now @ that age are getting near on $1500p/w net fyi.......
Anyway lets agree to disagree for I know what you may think of me at this stage and the feeling is mutual lets move on.....
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #510
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love how us over 50 get accused of buying in cheap, beating the boom yada, yada.

Cheaper housing is readily available. What has changed is people refusing to start at the bottom. Plenty of 3-400k housing if you want it.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier with their friends buying lifestyle homes and now being trapped.

How many are happy to bring up their families in 3 bedroom 1 bathroom houses these days?
Must have the inner city mcmansion...now!

The one advantage we had I will concede is cities were much smaller places back then and the outskirts weren't so far away.

XC Cobra #181.
4 users like this post: