Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #61
IboughtanAU

Default Re: Need help after I replaced the battery...

Hello all,

Just bought a 1999 AU Forte sedan with auto and the intech six- the battery died, so I took it out and swapped in a new battery. I've been having the low rpm in gear and the dipping and near-stalling during power steering turning also.
It is unbelievably frustrating..

Did anyone involved in this thread ever find a solution to this?
Fantastic car, just annoying that I've fixed a dead coilpack, put a new battery in, and now this. I have absolutely zero experience with AUs or any falcon more technically advanced than my XW GT. I do have plenty of experience in BMW V8's and later model RX8 & RX7 rotary cars, but this is the first garden variety Falcon I've ever owned..

Thanks in advance guys. I hope to learn a lot here.
IboughtanAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #62
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you had no probs before the car is just relearning your driving patterns. I just did mine and it drives differently from before (I turned on the aircon and that helped a bit keeping the car at idle at lights).
Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #63
IboughtanAU

Thanks all, but I actually found my problem. The guy I bought my AU from, had changed the spark plugs a week or so before I bought the car.
The coilpack was faulty, and he changed the plug leads and the plugs in an effort to try and fix the problem.

Issue was, he just grabbed whatever spark plugs would screw in, screwed them in finger tight, and left it like this for me. They were very cold heat range plugs, for a Honda or something, definitely not Falcon six.

Unscrewed them by hand, bought six new plugs, put them in and away it goes, no more stalling or playing up.

Some people honestly should not be allowed near a car :/

Edit: fixed the coilpack in the first two days of ownership. Was an easy fix.
I got the AU for 600 bucks because he thought the stuffed coilpack was a "blown engine"... I knew better ;)
6 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #64
fordfalconed

Talking Re: Need help after I replaced the battery...

Gidday IbogoughtanAU,

A Taswegian i see as I lived for a short time in lenah valley, anyhow well done on the purchase and fixing it.

I replaced the coil pack with a VDO and used standard non-iridium NGK plugs on my Au3 sedan as the onboard bosch that were in place were all used up and looked very crappy. i was gonna put iridiums but didnt. What plugs did you put in?
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #65
Bourbon Ute

Moose,

Have you tried a throttle clean? I've had this on a few cars (not necessarily falcons), after you disconnect the battery the idle takes longer to relearn due to the carbon build up behind the throttle blade. Idle usually increases for a few runs until it adjusts to the increased airflow.
Bourbon Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #66
IboughtanAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfalconed View Post
Gidday IbogoughtanAU,

A Taswegian i see as I lived for a short time in lenah valley, anyhow well done on the purchase and fixing it.

I replaced the coil pack with a VDO and used standard non-iridium NGK plugs on my Au3 sedan as the onboard bosch that were in place were all used up and looked very crappy. i was gonna put iridiums but didnt. What plugs did you put in?
Lenah Valley is a nice place, gets cold though! I put stock standard NGK copper electrode plugs in the car, and it's been great ever since!

Had a Google of the spark plugs I pulled out of the car (the wrong ones the previous owner had bodged in there) from memory he had put commodore V6 plugs in it, and the heat range was completely wrong by about 6 points for gods sake... Combined with the faulty coil pack that only fired 4 cylinders, it was no wonder the poor thing wouldn't idle and kept stalling.. Someone should have not been allowed under the bonnet!!

Fast + Cheap = Not Good
Cheap + Good = Not Fast
Good + Fast = Not Cheap

Pick any two.
Old 29-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #67
fordfalconed

Talking Re: Need help after I replaced the battery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IboughtanAU View Post
Lenah Valley is a nice place, gets cold though! I put stock standard NGK copper electrode plugs in the car, and it's been great ever since!

Had a Google of the spark plugs I pulled out of the car (the wrong ones the previous owner had bodged in there) from memory he had put commodore V6 plugs in it, and the heat range was completely wrong by about 6 points for gods sake... Combined with the faulty coil pack that only fired 4 cylinders, it was no wonder the poor thing wouldn't idle and kept stalling.. Someone should have not been allowed under the bonnet!!
Gidday IboughtanAu,

Yep old Lenah valley got cold alright closer to that Mt Wellington? but now in Sydney and better range of temps especially summer.

Thanks for the heads up on the copper heads NGKs and yeah some ppl should leave it up to mechanic or mechanic minded folks for a fix. Enjoy your Au and cheers.

And to Swedishmoose I think doing that open throttle and closed throttle recalibration may help relearn for the Auto transmissions. cheers.
fordfalconed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #68
Neergnai
Starter Motor

I know this is an old thread, but 8m having exactly the same issues with my au after changing the battery, alternator and steering pump.
I wondered if you ever solved this problem, and how?
Neergnai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post