Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #511
Pursya

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

If it wasn't a known issue then the line is correct.
As a known issue they need to admit that they have a design fault and rectify/replace every unit manufactured.
This is why you pay 30k for $500 worth of steel and plastic.
No matter where the line is drawn, if I had an admission from a company that the situation is exacerbated when doing stop start driving, I would take them to consumer affairs under not fit for purpose laws.
Imagine if he sells this car to someone living in Melbourne?
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #512
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
The 1.6 EcoBoost engines are susceptible to an issue that could cause the head to crack and could lead to an engine fire. You say it like every example is cracked and will hand grenade at any moment.
Ford have a recalled every example - at least in the scope range - someone thinks they are flawed enough to recall them, do you not think there is an issue there, they don't recall for no reason. Are they recalling to inspect and perhaps do nothing (I doubt it), are they recalling to replace the heads or modify in some way. I know there is recall, I don't know exactly what their corrective action will be. My main point was with Powershift transmissions and then Ecoboost cracked head issues, personally I'm losing confidence to buy an Ecoboost engined car, and definitely won't buy a Power shift transmission Ford. My Fiesta has so far been fine, but it's not Ecoboost and it's not Power shift.

Last edited by redvxr8clubby; 14-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #513
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvxr8clubby View Post
Ford have a recalled every example - at least in the scope range - someone thinks they are flawed enough to recall them, do you not think there is an issue there, they don't recall for no reason. Are they recalling to inspect and perhaps do nothing (I doubt it), are they recalling to replace the heads or modify in some way. I know there is recall, I don't know exactly what their corrective action will be. My main point was with Powershift transmissions and then Ecoboost cracked head issues, personally I'm losing confidence to buy an Ecoboost engined car, and definitely won't buy a Power shift transmission Ford. My Fiesta has so far been fine, but it's not Ecoboost and it's not Power shift.
Yes, there is definitely a design inefficiency that could cause the head to crack and could lead to an engine fire, but it's not as simple as cracked heads that will definitely cause cars to catch fire. Ford are recalling relevant models to update the relevant parts and avoid the possibility of the chain reaction.

I wouldn't buy a PowerShift equipped Ford either.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #514
BlueFocus1
Starter Motor

I had the clutch replaced in my 2013 Focus about 3 months ago and they promised me this was "the holy grail" of clutches and that it would eliminate the shuddering etc etc. Well within about 2 weeks the car started losing gears and the transmission began overheating, and it was pretty much unsafe to drive. I took it back and they did a TCM update and that fixed the overheating and loss of gears, but the car was still shuddering. Today I took it for a service and "relearnings" of the transmission, and they advised me that the clutch was revving at 355 rpm, and that mine was only 1 of 3 cars that have had such an issue with this supposed "holy grail" of clutches. Now they want to replace the clutch again, with the same clutch version. Brought the car brand new and keep having these issues and it's doing my head in! Would welcome any advice.
BlueFocus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #515
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Its a shame sone of you continue to have issues; its been a couple of months for our Focus since the new clutch went in and it's entirely a better car. No problems at all now.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #516
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocus1 View Post
I had the clutch replaced in my 2013 Focus about 3 months ago and they promised me this was "the holy grail" of clutches and that it would eliminate the shuddering etc etc. Well within about 2 weeks the car started losing gears and the transmission began overheating, and it was pretty much unsafe to drive. I took it back and they did a TCM update and that fixed the overheating and loss of gears, but the car was still shuddering. Today I took it for a service and "relearnings" of the transmission, and they advised me that the clutch was revving at 355 rpm, and that mine was only 1 of 3 cars that have had such an issue with this supposed "holy grail" of clutches. Now they want to replace the clutch again, with the same clutch version. Brought the car brand new and keep having these issues and it's doing my head in! Would welcome any advice.
I have sent you a PM
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #517
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I got a letter from Ford in the mail yesterday although we traded ours 2.5 years ago we still get the mail, Ford our now guarantee this transmission for 7 years.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #518
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocus1 View Post
Mum had this new whiz bang clutch fitted in November, it was shuddering by late December. The dealer told mum it was within spec. A couple of weeks ago I cracked it and took it back in and sure as hell the clutch is well and truly stuffed.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #519
KosCo

Those having ongoing problems might like to have a read of the following article about "your rights" --
http://www.caradvice.com.au/345004/w...urer-warranty/
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 AM   #520
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a letter from Ford yesterday. Our powershift tranny now under warranty for 7 years and 160000 kms whichever comes first.
And in our case our local dealer Sunshine Ford Southport Gold Coast has been great to deal with. We recently had the new ceramic clutch fitted and so far so good. I think our 4th clutch. But sunshine have been calm and helpful all the way.The service manager there Stacey is great. I wonder how much pressure the class action put on Ford to extend teh transmission warranty.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #521
country focus
Country Focus

Another first from Ford for me this morning,was told not to read too much into public media or forums as it may make me think my problem is worse than it really is.I rang them to confirm about the extended warranty on the transmission that is still giving me grief,but apparently not bad enough to do a clutch replacement,and this is when I was told this load of crap.She then told me to drive to the nearest city(as city driving makes it heaps worse)and find a dealer and get them to test the shuddering again and I may get a positive result.
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #522
GTP-814
love the quad cams

I am looking to buy a Focus for my daughter.

What model and year had the DSG issues, that were replaced?
Thanks
simon
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #523
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

2016 onwards they stopped using the troublesome box
Old 26-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #524
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

ACCC action against Ford over alleged unconscionable and misleading conduct

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consu...26-gxiwwt.html

Old 26-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #525
dan-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
ACCC action against Ford over alleged unconscionable and misleading conduct

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consu...26-gxiwwt.html

Fantastic news
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #526
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

7 year warranty now on affected vehicles, also
“The warranties follow the vehicle and not the person so you could be the tenth owner and still have the peace of mind. We look at each issue case by case, and even if somebody came to us with a ten-year-old car, we will look at it case by case because we understand that consumer law trumps warranties and we encourage people to come to us.” (source)
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #527
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
7 year warranty now on affected vehicles, also
“The warranties follow the vehicle and not the person so you could be the tenth owner and still have the peace of mind. We look at each issue case by case, and even if somebody came to us with a ten-year-old car, we will look at it case by case because we understand that consumer law trumps warranties and we encourage people to come to us.” (source)
My letter I got from ford says 5 years on the transmission
Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #528
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryg View Post
My letter I got from ford says 5 years on the transmission
Sorry, should have been clearer, excerpt from the article:

Quote:
We’ve extended the warranty for wet shudder up to seven years, dry shudder up to five years and 10 years on the TCM. Any which way, we’ve got you covered,
Is it worth seeing if my wet clutch needs any work done as preventative work if I haven't had any issues? If Ford extended the warranty does that mean they found issues in testing for the wet clutch too?

Last edited by stefcio007; 25-08-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 26-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #529
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

There is an article in todays newspaper Daily Telegraph (Motoring section), where a lady buys a 2011 Focus Titanium Diesel in 2015 with a 5 year extended warranty. Said lady moves from Perth to Darwin. Has car serviced by Ford dealer in Darwin (dealership is named in this article) - dealer tells this lady her car is unsafe to drive and transmission replacement is $18,000 (yes $18,000 is the amount printed in the newspaper). This lady it seems took the car to Repco and they advised they could do a transmission for $3000 but also the transmission in her car is not unsafe at all, and there is no need for any transmission replacement. This sounds more like absolute shonky dealer rather than any real transmission problem, police fraud squad should look into this crap with a view to charge the dealership with at very least attempted fraud, consumer affairs should be rattling their cage big time. Also credit should go to Repco for their honesty, hopefully word of this gets out around Darwin and the dealers business suffers massively as word gets around.

Last edited by redvxr8clubby; 26-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #530
KosCo

I noticed the quote --
"We’ve extended the warranty for wet shudder up to seven years, dry shudder up to five years"

Anyone know why wet shudder get 7 years but dry shudder only gets 5 years. I would have thought that since they are both gearboxes, they would attract the same extended warranty.
Old 26-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #531
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
I noticed the quote --
"We’ve extended the warranty for wet shudder up to seven years, dry shudder up to five years"

Anyone know why wet shudder get 7 years but dry shudder only gets 5 years. I would have thought that since they are both gearboxes, they would attract the same extended warranty.
Honestly should be the other way around if anything. Haven't heard much about the wet clutch having any problems, reason I chose it before buying as I heard tonnes of complaints about the dry clutch.
Would be simpler to just make both 7 though, odd.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #532
KosCo

For those who may be interested - I had the clutch replaced around Sept 2016. Has been going ok since then - big improvement without the shudders. However, a few weeks ago, I had an engine light come on. Took the car back in and they have replaced the TCM now. Hasn't cost me anything - all done under warranty. Hope there are no more problems - hasn't been a good experience overall.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #533
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clutch number 5 has just packed it in...
Old 13-02-2018, 03:11 AM   #534
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Clutch number 5 has just packed it in...
Did you join the class action?

Old 13-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #535
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Did you join the class action?
The class action is dragging on.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #536
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We’ve taken another route to try and get a resolution, we came close last time, just a few grand from where it needed to be. Hopefully this time we get there.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #537
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally set to be rid of one of the biggest lemons Ford has ever produced. Did a deal for Mum to go from an Ambiente to an LZ Focus Sport. Got a great outcome, and the car looks a million bucks.

For anyone down Geelong way, I couldn’t recommend Rex Gorell highly enough, as opposed to the clowns from Hoppers Crossing. The Hoppers Crossing mob made us jump through so many hoops it wasn’t funny, all for a series of pathetic offers. We came to Rex Gorell and all it took was two visits and done deal.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #538
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Finally set to be rid of one of the biggest lemons Ford has ever produced. Did a deal for Mum to go from an Ambiente to an LZ Focus Sport. Got a great outcome, and the car looks a million bucks.

For anyone down Geelong way, I couldn’t recommend Rex Gorell highly enough, as opposed to the clowns from Hoppers Crossing. The Hoppers Crossing mob made us jump through so many hoops it wasn’t funny, all for a series of pathetic offers. We came to Rex Gorell and all it took was two visits and done deal.
Well done mate,I know it's a hard slog to get where you are now,but it was worth it wasn't it.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #539
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor1 View Post
Well done mate,I know it's a hard slog to get where you are now,but it was worth it wasn't it.
Honestly I can see why so many people have left the brand to go elsewhere, they made it as hard as they could for us, both the dealership and Ford. But now it’s done and after all that they lost myself (Soon to be in a Navara), my sister (Nissan Qashqai) and my brother (Subaru Levorg) as customers because we couldn’t do business with that company, and we’ve been a Ford family since before I was born.

But the LZ Sport is a beautiful car, I think Mum will get many years of happy driving in it.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #540
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing the brand, but in our experience they seriously dropped the ball in this whole situation.

An example of the tricks they and the Hoppers Crossing dealership pulled (I’m not sure if we’re supposed to name names, but I’m sure most can guess), when the third clutch started to shudder, we had it tested and it came back as failed. They wanted to have it fixed, but we refused as we wanted a case opened with Ford to organise a buy back.

A case was opened with Ford and while waiting for an offer the car went in for service. We made sure it was maintained just in case she had to keep the car. I wasn’t there for this, Mum went in on her own. They told her the clutch needed to be fixed, and that even if they fixed it this wouldn’t affect her case with Ford as it was already in progress. So she allowed the car to be repaired.

Sure enough we didn’t hear from Ford for a while so I rang up and was told the car was fixed and they no longer had an obligation to offer anything more, despite the car now having its fourth clutch in four years. I went in to the dealership to ask what the hell was going on and was told now the car was fixed here was nothing more they could do. It was at that point my sister and brother left the brand for the Japanese brands and I made sure no one I knew went to Hoppers Crossing.

When the fourth clutch went, we went to the Geelong dealership and it all ended well.