Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Holden V8 sportscar not ‘guaranteed’ as HSV products questioned

Quote:
HOLDEN executive director of marketing Mark Harland has revealed that he believes the brand must execute its small car, SUV and pick-up product strategy successfully to make V8 sportscar discussions with General Motors (GM) easier.

Speaking with GoAuto at the national media launch of the Astra sedan in northern New South Wales last week, Mr Harland – who has notched up six months in the role – insisted that the unnamed V8 sportscar was still in planning, but Holden must achieve other targets first.

That included, he listed, making successes from Astra small hatchback and sedan, Equinox medium SUV and Colorado pick-up ranges. “Certainly from a product point of view, you know the product line-up, where the growth is in Australia is obviously in the SUVs, the small- to medium-sized SUVs,” Mr Harland said.

“If we can execute on the upcoming product launches, I think that gives us a lot of credibility with the senior leadership back in Detroit so that our managing director, Mark Bernhard, can say, ‘Hey, we really think we’d like to have a rear-wheel-drive V8 as a halo car.’

“I think if we could execute all of that (new products) then we go back to the mothership, to General Motors corporate, and say, ‘We think a halo rear-wheel-drive car of some kind makes a lot of sense and it delivers a return on investment and it helps lift the brand’.

“(But) there’s nothing that we can announce at this point. There’s nothing guaranteed.”

Asked whether that meant the mysterious sportscar – announced at the Detroit motor show in January 2015 as a replacement for the Commodore V8 – was now paused, Mr Harland replied: “I wouldn't say it’s on pause.”

“I would say, yes, there is still appetite with obviously guys like Mark Reuss (former Holden managing director and current GM president) and some of the senior leadership that have been here,” he added.

“They understand there is a need for that kind of vehicle. I don’t think there’ s anything on pause, but I don’t think we can narrow down a day or a year or I don’t think we can get that granular level of detail until we’ve executed our business plan and then, it just makes all those conversations much easier.

“If, say, we got to do the job on Astra sedan, on next-generation Commodore, Equinox as well, and if we don’t hit our business goals, then there’s reason for doubt to say, ‘Why would we support a right-hand-drive, rear-wheel-drive V8 at a relatively low volume number if we can’t execute on the vehicles that should be high volume?’”

It was clear that Holden, which has suffered an annual sales collapse of 11,784 units between the time of the sportscar announcement (in January 2015 following 2014’s 106,092-unit sales haul) and the end of 2016 (94,308 units), had now fallen under harsher scrutiny from GM, which recently sold off unprofitable European brands Opel and Vauxhall to French conglomerate PSA.

“I would feel a lot more comfortable having those conversations with leadership if we accomplish our business goals with the upcoming products,” Mr Harland reiterated.

Asked whether a decision to build a GM sportscar – currently limited to the left-hand-drive-only, Mustang-challenging Chevrolet Camaro and supercar-baiting Corvette – in right-hand drive required a significant product planning timeframe, the executive director of marketing replied: “Correct.”

“Absolutely, the discussions of doing the plumbing for a right-hand-drive car has to go well in advance because if you do it retroactively, it just becomes cost prohibitive,” he admitted.

While Mr Harland could not confirm what the elusive Holden V8 sportscar could be, he admitted that importing a Camaro rival to the ultra-popular Ford Mustang was highly desirable.

“I would say I would love to have it (a rear-wheel-drive V8) as a halo vehicle much in the same way the Ford CMO (chief marketing officer) would say Mustang brings a great halo opportunity to Ford,” he explained.

“It’s something that still has a place, maybe not at the same volume levels that Commodore did in years past, but there’s still an opportunity as we’ve seen from Mustang, and I think it’s a lot easier to make that argument with the senior leadership if we execute on the upcoming launches.”

This month’s launch of the Astra sedan tips Holden past the halfway point of its promise to launch 24 new models before 2020, with the Astra Sportwagon, Equinox medium SUV, new Commodore and Acadia large SUV next on the brand’s hit list. However, the V8 sportscar could affect plans of Walkinshaw-offshoot HSV, the role of which Mr Harland admitted is currently under review.

“I think where does Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) fit in the portfolio, right?” he asked.

“I think Holden Special Vehicles does fit in the future. I’m not sure it fits in its current capacity, but certainly I could see a day where Holden Special Vehicles would be doing not just V8, they could be doing trucks and other things.”

HSV has not yet made announcement about its future, but GoAuto understands communication from the brand is imminent. However, Mr Harland confirmed that while HSV would still work with Holden products going forward, changes could be on the way.

“Working with Holden Special Vehicles as a company will continue,” he offered. “(But) we haven’t made any final decisions on what those (next-generation) vehicles could be, though we are in discussions with them. What we call them; that’s the discussion, the branding discussion that we’re having with them right now, and that really depends on what the product portfolio looks like.

“Which we haven’t come to any conclusions on. Distributing them through that network will continue. The heavy performance vehicles, whether be on-road or off-road vehicles, that still would go through that (Holden) network.

“Does it (HSV) become a sub-brand? I think those are all the discussions we have right now.”
https://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mel...258144007D45A2
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Holden V8 sportscar not ‘guaranteed’ as HSV products questioned

In other words... Holden fans can't expect a two door RWD V8 coupe in the next few years
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Who didn't see this coming. GM don't have the numbers to build anything low volume in rhd. The exact reason the Camaro was never build in rhd for the current gen.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

They're obviously not going to develop something specifically for Australia. I tend to think they were just hoping for an Australian market Camaro (or Camaro with some stupid 'Holden' front end tacked on) and GM aren't having a bar of it. He talks about having to do well with their new line of pretend Holden products before pitching for a halo car, I don't understand that, sell a bunch of Astras and the business case for a RWD sports car improves? Holden needs a halo car regardless, once Commodore goes there's nothing holding the brand together, just a confused mish mash of low quality chev crap and high quality Opel stuff that drives the wrong wheels and is 2 cylinders shy of what Commodore buyers want in a Commodore. It'll get to the point where they do unveil their badge engineered sports car and nobody cares anyway because the Holden brand is irrelevant and they've already bought a Mustang or a Stinger.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R.I.P Holden and HSV.
Old 26-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

In short, Holden is dead if sales don't increase (which they won't). Funny that the Korean sourced Holdens wrecked what little reputation Holden had left YET the other two Korean brands are going very well in Aus and continue to climb.

I think if Ford can sell Mustang globally and have a case for RHD, then there is no reason why GM can't do the same with the Camaro (and possibly Corvette).
Old 26-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was never going to happen.
Just pure weasel word bs. Holden's marketing tack to get the young and trendy millenials is going to backfire.

These kinds don't want the same car their dads drove
eb2fairmont is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The story sounds like management talk for "we had better start selling what we have or we'll be sold off or closed down"
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
In short, Holden is dead if sales don't increase (which they won't). Funny that the Korean sourced Holdens wrecked what little reputation Holden had left YET the other two Korean brands are going very well in Aus and continue to climb.

I think if Ford can sell Mustang globally and have a case for RHD, then there is no reason why GM can't do the same with the Camaro (and possibly Corvette).
Camaro has nowhere near the global appeal of the Mustang. Not even close. Most of the world's population know what a Mustang is but you can't say that about the Camaro.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Camaro has nowhere near the global appeal of the Mustang. Not even close. Most of the world's population know what a Mustang is but you can't say that about the Camaro.
Hmm, maybe name wise Mustang is more well known but I bet just as few people would actually know what an unbadged Mustang is compared to an unbadged Camaro.

My point is that a muscular looking RWD V8 sports coupe will sell any where in the world.
The Mustang proves this.

Also considering the current Camaro is actually better than the current Mustang.
Old 26-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The problem with the Camaro being sold in Australia is branding.

Holden Camaro just wont fly and GM wouldn't want it that way.

So then it either becomes a Camaro "by Holden" or Holden rebrands as Chevrolet.

This is where the GM model of several regional brands becomes difficult. And why the global Mustang case was relatively easy. A Ford is A Ford is A Ford.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They could just debadge the Camaro and not have Holden or Chev Badges on it. Just have Camaro written on the back or something. It really wouldn't be hard to work out.
There are no Ford Badges on the Mustang (I think....)
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #13
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ Hi Cyber,

Only 1 "FORD" on the car and it's on the front windscreen.
Old 26-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Holden won't bring out a camaro to Australia, they would hate us yobbos pulling off the holden badges and throwing on chev badges ! :p
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Except for the last 3 years, it's a hell of a lot closer than I would have guessed.
Seems the Challenger is taking sale from the Camaro?

UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
pmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
The story sounds like management talk for "we had better start selling what we have or we'll be sold off or closed down"
Hit the nail right on the head

The big GM of old that had a presence all over the world will never be repeated and Detroit knows that. GM's future is a lean operation and with the EU operations getting offloaded and India shut down surely its Australia operations that has market access to at most 30ish million (include NZ) is not in its long term plans.

Without a major overhaul filled with decent SUV's, Utes and a hero car backed by a longish warranty the future of Holden is not looking so great
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #17
Chopped
as in chopped

Holden turns its back on bogans

Where do the bogans go now?

Ford and Holden had no problem selling heaps of performance sedans to the faithful "bogans". Now they don't want to know them.

The real truth is that bogans tend to buy second hand, so how can a brand protect against that, they can't.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #18
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow what a turn around. So essentially with Holden's new outlook and advertising as per the above link are they also essentially saying,

Holden's are not for Bogans , Holden's are for Gays
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #19
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

“Since rebranding we are seeing an uplift in the brand health. We want to be known as a more inclusive brand, rather than a blokey masculine brand. “There has been an opinion and reputation shift, which is a really good sign we are going in the right direction.”

If they are looking at the sales going down as the 'right direction'
Reminiscent of a loverley boy band from a few years ago .... 'One Direction' or 'No Direction"

So am I going to have to sell my V8 and my ute, as they will now be considered 'trannies', and not a blokes chariot.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc View Post
Hit the nail right on the head

The big GM of old that had a presence all over the world will never be repeated and Detroit knows that. GM's future is a lean operation and with the EU operations getting offloaded and India shut down surely its Australia operations that has market access to at most 30ish million (include NZ) is not in its long term plans.

Without a major overhaul filled with decent SUV's, Utes and a hero car backed by a longish warranty the future of Holden is not looking so great
Yes basically they are saying : "We need to sell more cars to guarantee our future, only then will a V8 halo car be considered. At this stage there is no guarantee that our brand will be here in the long term".

I think there are very dark clouds ahead for Holden.
Old 27-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
Except for the last 3 years, it's a hell of a lot closer than I would have guessed.
image image image image image image image image image

image image
These figures are for US sales only.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
These figures are for US sales only.
The European sales for 2016 were Mustang 15204 vs Camaro 607.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Hmm, maybe name wise Mustang is more well known but I bet just as few people would actually know what an unbadged Mustang is compared to an unbadged Camaro.

My point is that a muscular looking RWD V8 sports coupe will sell any where in the world.
The Mustang proves this.

Also considering the current Camaro is actually better than the current Mustang.
I reckon not a lot of non car people know what a Camaro is outside of North America. But I think even a large amount of non car people know what a Mustang is, or have at least heard of it.
Old 27-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
image image image image image image image image image

image image
What do sales in North America have to do with global recognition like I was talking about? I was specifically referring to outside North America when I said Camaro does not have the recognition that Mustang has across the globe.
Old 27-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
“Since rebranding we are seeing an uplift in the brand health. We want to be known as a more inclusive brand, rather than a blokey masculine brand. “There has been an opinion and reputation shift, which is a really good sign we are going in the right direction.”

If they are looking at the sales going down as the 'right direction'
Reminiscent of a loverley boy band from a few years ago .... 'One Direction' or 'No Direction"

So am I going to have to sell my V8 and my ute, as they will now be considered 'trannies', and not a blokes chariot.
No bloody way.

Tie some long, bright ribbons to the roof rack and drive off into the outback with ABBA blaring from the radio!

Don't sell em.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #26
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
No bloody way. Tie some long, bright ribbons to the roof rack and drive off into the outback with ABBA blaring from the radio! Don't sell em.
Are you referring to a certain car insurance advert which is 'not going to Broken Hill'. Maybe swap the Merc for a 'non-Holden' Holden.

Way back in my memory is a TV advert for a Commodore ute doing circle work to the strains of AccaDacca 'Back in Black". How politically incorrect and bogan was that.
To quote Richie ... 'Simply marvellous'
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #27
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I reckon not a lot of non car people know what a Camaro is outside of North America. But I think even a large amount of non car people know what a Mustang is, or have at least heard of it.

This. Mustang (like the Corvette) is effectively a worldwide brand recognised in its own right and that's precisely why it doesn't have Ford blue oval badges. Camaro just doesn't have this.

GM needed to copy Ford. Back in the GFC days, they were arrogant enough to think they are to big to fall (those aren't my words) and continued on their own whilst Ford under Mullaly planned for the future with 'One Ford' which gave us the RHD Mustang. Holden are now leaving their loyal fans that actually purchase new cars high and dry and can't do a thing about it thanks to the lack of forethought at GM Detroit.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #28
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Does this make 'Rory' the lion a dandylion??
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #29
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Are you referring to a certain car insurance advert which is 'not going to Broken Hill'. Maybe swap the Merc for a 'non-Holden' Holden.

Way back in my memory is a TV advert for a Commodore ute doing circle work to the strains of AccaDacca 'Back in Black". How politically incorrect and bogan was that.
To quote Richie ... 'Simply marvellous'
You mean Thunderstruck

But yes, one of the best ads they ever did, alongside the Can't Get Enough Of You Baby VX SS ad from the same era. Around the same time as our own 'must be stuck in third'. Those were the days
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
100% people would be more familiar with Bumblebee from Transformers - not even knowing its a Camaro
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post