Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #61
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car yard frustrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Mate, I sold cars for fifteen years and if you had spoken to me like that I would have told you to **** off.
Firstly, no you wouldn't, because I always have a witness, and even the worst dealerships won't tolerate profanity. It's also the quickest way to get your licence revoked.

But if you are simply making the point that once you realised I wasn't some rube you could bully, you would lose interest in trying to make a sale, then yes, as I said, the industry has its share of a_holes who are interested in nothing more than ripping off gullible customers.

There are a_holes in every walk of life, although I'm fortunate to work in an industry that has a way of weeding them out.

It just seems that the economics of car-sales, make it one of the few sales jobs where being an a_hole can actually work.

The changes I have observed over the past 30+ years, would seem to be that it is now possible to find more dealerships where that is simply not tolerated, but that at the other end of the scale, management of dealerships that do practice those kind of sales tactics, are now less apologetic.
It used to be that if you complained about the a-hole salesman, the Dealer Principal would at least try to "charm" you. Now they figure you're not worth their effort.

One of the big dealers here has the slogan "chose your dealer before you choose your car", and that's the best advice I can give.
The attitude and tactics of dealers does differ markedly, so ask around. This is the perfect place.
By process of elimination, I have nothing but praise for the people at Paceways.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #62
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Firstly, no you wouldn't, because I always have a witness, and even the worst dealerships won't tolerate profanity. It's also the quickest way to get your licence revoked.

Firstly, please don't tell me what I would and wouldn't do.

As for my licence? I never had a licence to sell cars.

Quote:

But if you are simply making the point that once you realised I wasn't some rube you could bully, you would lose interest in trying to make a sale, then yes, as I said, the industry has its share of a_holes who are interested in nothing more than ripping off gullible customers.
My point was very simple - if you were that rude to me I would have said what I posted. I never got paid enough to put up with bullies like you.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #63
Sancho

I bought my FG G6ET used with fairly high km 160k from a dealer, as it had been a trade in. - was my first ever dealer experience.

Guy was awesome, I popped in as i was in the area for work, in my work ute asked if it was still there (as I saw it on line) and it was, he handed me the keys and said come back when I've had a go.

Came back the following Saturday with dad and drove it home.

then found out it had only had two owners and a full service history from the local to it's ford dealership who also sold it to the first owner.

after about 3 weeks the wheel bearing started making a very loud noise. called guy i purchased the car from, he basically said take it straight to (my local ford dealer) and get them to call him.

got it back the day after I took it in with a brand new wheel bearing paid by the dealership that sold it to me.

pretty pleased with that.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #64
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Crazy Dazz is only trying to big note himself!!most dealer principles I know would back up their sales people when it comes to tell an A%%hole customer to F off.As for dealers licences the licensing dept don't really care what is said between sales person and customer.The liecesing Authority are only interested in sometimes making sure the seller does all the statutory requirements
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #65
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
When you buy your first car you're going to get ripped off.

That's one of life's rules.
That was me mate, first car and I got ripped off on price big time buying through a dealer, regret it still after a year lol
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #66
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
That was me mate, first car and I got ripped off on price big time buying through a dealer, regret it still after a year lol
Me too,brought an LX torana hatchback from a dealer for the first time,18yrs old, 2 mths later realized there was more bog than metal in it especially when the drivers door finally gave up the ghost and fell off going down the road one day! You live and learn!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #67
nstg8a

One thing I always try and remember is that if you have your heart set on a certain car then however the sales staff act is largely irrelevant.
Odds are you will never have to deal with them again.
I'd rather deal with an asshol for an hour or two and get the car I want, over going elsewhere looking for the next best thing.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #68
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I remember the experience I had with a dealer when I bought my G6 second hand. At the time, I was on the prowl for a G6 and this was the lowest price vehicle on carsales by a fair margin. Did some research to understand why it had high kms for its age (single owner, pollie, in largest electorate in Vic plus trips to and from Melbourne for parliament sitting times).

Rang up to make a booking for test drive the following week. Checked the price out the morning I left to Melbourne to find it had been dropped by $1000 since I'd last looked at the ad. Didn't expect them to tell me about it when I git there that morning, but it was almost the first thing they told me!

Did not expect them to tell me they had dropped the price, They even said that the car had been sitting in the yard for too long and they wanted to get rid of it, so we agreed on a price and some minor works that needed doing, and I went down the next week to pick it up only to find they had put some brand new (pretty decent) rubber on and had all the wheels aligned at no cost to me.

Was very impressed. Only disappointing thing was they were a Holden dealer

That was one dealership experience that was very pleasant, so they do happen (even if only occasionally ).

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #69
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience the salespeople do try to sus you out before hand. and IMO there is nothing wrong with that.
For instance if you turn up with P Plates there is close to 0 chance of being allowed to take out an F6 for a quick spin.

I've had people complain to me before about not being able to take the new Mustang out for a drive, when asked if they were going to buy it the answer is no I just wanted to see what they were like...
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #70
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Will add this in here.

I am not affiliated with this car yard. But http://www.westendcitymotors.com.au/ in Riverstone NSW were amazingly really nice to deal with.

I was looking at a ute for one of our AFF members on here. And the staff at this place were actually really nice to talk to and deal with. Went for an extended test drive. Guys were fine with my taking pics, etc.

Chalk one up for the good used car dealer out there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #71
paulie

Dealerships are hit n miss. If they have good staff etc the experience can be good if not you tend to wonder why you bothered.

But I've never been to a small 'private' caryard and had a decent experience. Staff are usually pushy rude and arrogant. And the cars are generally overpriced and not of good quality.

I find private sales to be better for a cheap 2nd hand car. Just buyer beware. (As goes for any sale)
If it dont feel/seem/look right. Then walk away.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #72
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oldest trick in the book. They act relaxed at first to sus you out. If you respond in a relaxed fashion, tey figure they can bully you.
Only way is to act like a bigger a_hole then them.
If you are talking to them for the first time, be gruff, unfriendly, and impatient. If they send the young bloke out to you, call him "sonny" and ask to speak with his Dad.

The utterly stupid thing is that the ruder you are, the nicer they will be.

Best way is to make contact by phone or email first. Be abrupt, impatient, never reply quickly. Tell them you have no time, and they need to bring the car to you for a test drive.

You've heard the old saying that "you get more Bees with Honey"? Well with car-salesmen, you need to use pesticide.

Now having said all that, be prepared. There are many dealers out there who simply aren't interested, once they realise you're not a pushover and won't be ripped off. They prey on gullible fools, and won't waste their time if you're not.
Dumbest piece of advice I have seen on AFF in 10+ years
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #73
Danny
GT4.

With some of the pathetic attitudes here, its no wonder car salesman don't give some of you the time of day.

Walking in to a HSV or FPV dealership acting like a big wig flashing the cash for a f'n $50,000 holden or falcon like you're a rockstar, and then cry when the sales guys don't lick ur butt hole... pht, please. Most of them can tell from the moment the door shuts behind you whether you're a time waster or not. I'll bet most of the posters here who claim to have all the "answers" are the ones who frequently visit caryards left and right to "buy" vehicles... LOL

A two way street of respect still goes a long way in a good motorvehicle purchase.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #74
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
Dealerships are hit n miss. If they have good staff etc the experience can be good if not you tend to wonder why you bothered.

But I've never been to a small 'private' caryard and had a decent experience. Staff are usually pushy rude and arrogant. And the cars are generally overpriced and not of good quality.

I find private sales to be better for a cheap 2nd hand car. Just buyer beware. (As goes for any sale)
If it dont feel/seem/look right. Then walk away.
Paulie, all salesman are the same, if they can get extra money from you they will do it, it is the nature of the game as it is their livelihood, no different to anyone else who tries to make extra money for a living.

People just got to understand how to negotiate a reasonable deal, some you win some you walk away from, how hard is that?

Only the gullible get taken for a ride at times.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #75
paulie

Hence why i said.

If it don't look feel or seem right you walk away.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #76
.:4:.
Kicking back

I think you tend to get (regardless of the job or industry) pushy treatment more from people when earn commissions.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #77
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So are you in the first or second category?.If you can't even see one in the mirror you must be in the first lot
Is this even English?? I have no idea what you are talking about.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #78
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You said used car sales people are slimy bottom feeders! i simply asked if you were in that same category when it came to selling cars and parts
Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #79
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not a car sales person nor do I work in a dealership or car sales yard

Selling your car once you buy a new one does not make you a car sales person otherwise anyone that has ever sold or traded their car would be car sales person.

Poorly thought out troll I guess, is that the best you got??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #80
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"QUOTE" I'm nearly fifty and have bought and sold my fair share of cars in my time. Seems like a bit of a wheeler dealer to me.

Last edited by Tassie f100; 04-04-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Missed words
Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #81
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
"QUOTE" I'm nearly fifty and have bought and sold my fair share of cars in my time. Seems like a bit of a wheeler dealer to me.
Like I said poor attempt at a troll

Not sure what you call a wheeler and dealer, generally keep cars for around 10 years then move them on, some I keep, some I have had for over 30 years. Last car I sold was in 2007, I would not consider a person that sells a car every 6-12 years a wheeler and dealer.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #82
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe not.But you generallised by calling every car sales person a slimy bottom feeder which I feel is very disrespectful to the majority of sales people who are trying to make an honest living.Bit like saying every XB Falcon owner is a brainless bogan.But I'm sure a lot of good ordinary people drive XBs
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #83
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Brainless bogans is a bit harsh..

Last edited by Mont5.0; 04-04-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Mont5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #84
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I had an interesting experience at The Australian Fleet Sales yard in Cardiff years ago. If you want to experience the most unethical group of ****ers I suggest you give these guys a go.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #85
Doreturnonfoot

Lighten up people. Last time I was in a dealership the salesman told me all of their cars have a concrete warranty - covered until the car left their concrete driveway!!
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #86
Trump
bitch lasagne

Treat others the same way you'd want them to treat you...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #87
cro142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
When you buy your first car you're going to get ripped off.

That's one of life's rules.
That comment takes me back to 1969, and my first new car purchase.

I went in to a Holden Dealer in Melbourne to get a changeover price on trading my 9 year old FC Holden on a new Monaro - no, not a GTS 327, but a humble bog standard base model with 3 on the tree!

I was sitting at a desk opposite 2 salesmen, and as we chatted, one of them was "filling out my details" on a form. After he had completed the form, he smoothly spun it around on the desk to face me, and nonchalantly said "just sign here" it's just a form "to authorise us to check out your trade-in".

Well bullshoes, it was actually a contract of sale, with me agreeing to purchase that new Monaro at full retail with a trade-in "to be advised"!!!

Luckily I had the nous to read it before signing, and hightailed it out of there with the salesmen abusing me. I bought a new Monaro elsewhere.

Those were really the bad old days of car salesmen.
I learned a lesson that day that has served me well ever since!
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #88
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a Datsun dealer just out of Sale ( Vic) who wouldn't give either a trade in or even a new car price until potential buyers signed a contract to buy.Don't know how many up and walked out but he sold a lot of new Datsun 1200 s and 1600s in a couple of years
Old 04-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #89
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Had to be done.

Last edited by marty351; 11-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #90
JET62

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
What is the difference between a used car salesman and a catfish??

One is a slimy bottom feeding waste of space the other is a fish.
I was a car salesman for a short period in the early 80's. Even a Ford Dealer selling XE Falcons when the new EFI engines were released.

I left because I couldn't stand people coming in and lying to me all day every day. They were called customers.

But yeah, not all salesmen were like me. I worked a very short while at a very notorious yard - I felt pleased if I left at night without another salesman having physically stuck a knife in my back.