Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car yard frustrations

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is normal or not as I don't often go to a car yard unless buying new. I went in today to a well known ford yard to look at an f6.
I had been eying it off for two weeks but had not had time to go out. I drove out to have a look and took a car in that I was considering trading in. The young sales guy I was with was good and laid back.
Anyway his body encouraged me into his office and I waited there while they told me what my trade in was worth. They gave me an ok price. This is where it goes bad.

He said something about wanting to do a deal today. I said I wanted to do something this weekend as there was one other I wanted to look at first (there are not many out there but I wanted to see the other too or at least think about it as I did not want to put money down on the spot. I asked about log books and wanting to see them but they seemed more concerned with getting my money than anything else. The car was pretty rough and they said it had just been traded. I knew that was a lie because I had been eying it off for about two weeks. I said I would let them know over the weekend and asked for a drive of the car. They said they only do test drives for people who are ready to do a deal that day. I got really frustrated and said I would not buy the. At and would not return there again. Is this normal behaviour for a used car dealership?

Unless it's something really special I will stick to
Private sellers in future where possible.
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Default Re: Car yard frustrations

It's not what ethical car yards do.
The problem is that there's very few ethical yards out there.
It seems like the sales persons will try any ploy these days to sell a car. You did very well not to put up with the BS and move on.

Interesting that the salesman's body was what encouraged you inside. I'll leave that one alone now.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
flightstrike

I had a similar issue years ago when I went on the hunt for a Hilux. The guy refused to let me test drive it unless I basically put down a deposit first. Needless to say I walked out and down the road; That's when I spotted and test drove my XR6 Ute which I put a deposit on AFTER driving it!

Really wanted to go show the Hilux salesman my "new" car.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oldest trick in the book, they don't want you to shop elsewhere so will try to bully you into signing then and there.Youd be surprised at how many people fall for it, they are on the car dealers territory and don't stand up for themselves.
Sales person is laid back, sales manager is an ahole,typical good cop bad cop.
And the old "it's just traded" chestnut, tricking you into a sense of urgency, if it just arrived, it might just sell today, better buy it then.
When they started playing hardball, you should have told them you WILL sign for it now only if it's $X ( 20% less then you'll actually pay), if they baulk, then you know there's no deal to be had there.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 31-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Every excuse in the book for second hand dealers. I beat down the price on a mazda 6 because I called the dealers bluff on scratches on the driver's front quater panel caused by apparently 'the car washers zipper on his jeans leaning in'. Yeah no. Wasn't a bad car minus the marks. Took a beat up (24 thousand on the dial) g6 eb for a test drive (fang) and they did not budge on the price, so the real car the wife was looking for which was imaculate for 3 grand less on both the price and tacho for a test drive, negotiated, walked, then all of a sudden $19.500 10 months after the original delivery of the 2012 g6 ecoboost. That was in 2014. You just have to play the game.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I assume sales people still have monthly quota's to meet. It was the 31st today so possibly extra desperate for a sale. I hate the whole experience, probably part of the reason the families cars are so old.

5 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Itsme
Experienced Member

Old school sales tactic, think you did the correct decision & walked away from the tool, I had a similar situation 5 years ago with a local Mazda dealer, told them I would never step back in their dealership with their insulting behaviour.

Keep shopping around, you will find some good dealers around willing to bargain with you.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't do any of that at the places I worked.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have looked in many car yards both new and used, only have had a couple of problems with pushy salespeople. New car sales seam to be more relaxing overall. All my bad experiences have been with looking at used cars.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
paulie

Never liked or trusted 2nd hand caryards. Seems the scum end up working there...

As a young lad i was looking for a car as mine was once again in the shed for repairs.
Borrowed my dads car and went looking. Found a car in a yard (had looked at a few private cars and on the way to one i spotted one on a yard)
So walked in and had a leech latch on as soon as i stepped foot on the lot. Hassling for a trade.
- no trade will be cash outright.

Ok ok what you after?
Pointed out what i was looking at and straight away pushing for a test drive. But oh you have to leave your drivers license and keys and phone number in office as safety. .....

Hmmmm right.
Go for a drive and no it rattled clunked missfired farted etc etc.
get back to the yard (sales guy is in passenger seat)
Where the **** is my car??!!

Oh standard procedure, its with the mechanics out the back being aaccessed for trade in.

What a joke. So threats of me ramming car i was in into every car in the yard quickly brought my dads car out again.
Running like a bag of **** and smoking.....

F#ckers swapped out a plug lead (not even same brand or colour) for a dodgy one and filled a vacuum hose with tran fluid.
Apparently its not in good shape so i best buy the car i drove and they would give me $1000 for my dads car...

Managed to get to a phone box (no mobiles then) and called my dad who arrived in a nice flashy commodore with trendy red n blue lights fitted.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last two cars I got from a dealer were both new so that may explain why they were much better. This was a ford yard and I thought they would have better standards in terms of customer service but obviously not. Seems like a gamble in terms of finding a good dealer. Yep private all the way for me now as it's just not a nice experience. Other funny thing was the quality of the car. There were marks on the paint where bird crap had eaten into the paint and wheels had gutter rash all over them. Would have thought they would have that fixed. Oh well all good I will refine my car sales searches in future to be private only. Thanks for you're stories guys.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

31st! You were at an advantage and probably could have knocked off a few extra $K's to boost his sales figures before end of month, especially if he was behind. It's a great day to negotiate if you're willing to sign that day and salesman under quota are always super keen to make that sale.

I only ever go car shopping at the end of the month. My last 3 cars were purchased on the last week of Feb (I think two of them on the 28th). ;)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never understood or accepted 'No test drives til deposit'. It's the salesman's equivalent of "No sex before marriage'
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
suttoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
I've never understood or accepted 'No test drives til deposit'. It's the salesman's equivalent of "No sex before marriage'
Having a dealership ourselves I cringe at what you guys are saying. Being in the country I guess is a bit different, as in we know a lot of the customers, we don't have targets as its either me or the old man selling, test drives are fine (providing not a 18 year old wanting to drive new XR8) and we rarely take deposits, not even on new mustang orders, if they decide they don't want the car so be it. No pushy tactics here, and I guess that's why we have been in business nearly 37 years.
1997 EL GT, #102, Manual, 27000kms.
2002 AU3 TS50 #114, Auto
suttoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear Suttoo. Funny when the sales manager or whoever he was first saw me he used the line "you're face looks familiar have I meet you before". I was like no I don't think so. In between discussing how he wanted to do a deal today he also mentioned someone else was very interested in the car etc and I straight away thought more bs. Good point on the end of the month thing though.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only really had good experiences with car yards in the last few years.Always bought off dealerships.Bought ute 3 years ago from Ford dealer,good experience,no pressure.Salesman asked when did I want to pick it,I said probably 3-4 days.When I picked it up he said we did a presale check and thought the rear tyres were down a bit so we put a pair of new on for you.Last year bought another ute off Toyota dealer,when I asked for a test drive,yeah no probs,take as long as you like.Gave licence details etc and away.As I drove out he asked are you bringing it back today or tomorrow? These were both used utes so not a lot of money involved (12-15K)
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
paulie

The "someone else is interested" line is used by every 2nd hand caryard ive ever been too.
Aswell as
- its the best one for this price, ive seen all the others....

Really? You've personally been to every csryard and private sale to xheck them out.... BS!

They love their scare tactics.

Also if they have a car in the yard they cant seem to sell and is the same as what you're looking at.
- oh for the $$$ that one there is a far better car/option to buy... (yet clearly its a pile of ****)
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I visited a few recently, was considering trading the G6E for a 4WD.
'Best' yard had a Grand Vitara XL7. Bodywork was beaten to hell, there were water/rust stains all over the roof lining, the radiator hoses were all sucked in, the tyres were almost slicks, and one of the guys took it out to go somewhere and I could hear a horrible squealing as he was reversing. Besides wanting 5k for it, yeah, not a chance, they were adamant it had a roadworthy.

I guess they're mates with the right sort of mechanic. Definitely never going there again.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand where the OP is coming. But on the other side of the coin, I was a used car salesman for a big Holden Dealer on Parramatta Road many years ago and when I was selling cars, you had a quota to sell each month. If you failed to reach it - start looking for a new job - this is why you'll get the best deal at the end of the month as a salesman desperately tries to reach quota. If I walked out on the lot and spoke to a prospect and then came back in the office without that person's name and address, my head was on the chopping block. So we had to employ all those tactics as mentioned in above posts in order to survive in a pressure cooker work environment.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #20
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

What about the age old..."" Ive got someone coming in to look at it in an hour "". To try to get you to make a decision fast in fear of you not getting it..

Oh & being the last day of the month, YOU were in the box seat.. If he hadn't reached his target, he would be getting desperate.. Use that to your advantage..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #21
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Only really had good experiences with car yards in the last few years.Always bought off dealerships.Bought ute 3 years ago from Ford dealer,good experience,no pressure.Salesman asked when did I want to pick it,I said probably 3-4 days.When I picked it up he said we did a presale check and thought the rear tyres were down a bit so we put a pair of new on for you.Last year bought another ute off Toyota dealer,when I asked for a test drive,yeah no probs,take as long as you like.Gave licence details etc and away.As I drove out he asked are you bringing it back today or tomorrow? These were both used utes so not a lot of money involved (12-15K)
My old man used to be a Volvo nut, he would only buy Volvo's and would go back to the same dealer time after time spending hundreds of thousands there over 30 odd years.
I asked him why he kept going back.
Dad said "simple, every time I go in they hand me the keys and say see you next week"
The dealer once said to dad, you can't work out if a car is suitable in a 15 minute drive around the 'burbs at 60k's.
I've never heard of another dealer doing this until now. Thanks.

What annoys me the most is when I tell them I'm paying cash, the push to get finance is unrelenting. NO...I'm paying cash!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My line to pushy dealers, "hell you get your dealers licence back? I heard your been stripped of working" true or false it rattles their cage something cronic.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not just used car dealers, private sellers are just as dodgy!. Just depends in the person, within a few minutes you get a gut feel about the car and seller.

Been looking at a private car for the missus lately. Price was too high, I gave him a lower reasonable offer and he said no way. I said to the missus on the way home "he'll call me back".

3 days later he rang back saying "someone" had offered him $X (a lot higher than my offer) but needed finance, would I like to make a counter offer? Ahhh, no thanks, call me in a fortnight if you still have it.

Surprise surprise a few days later it is now advertised at the amount the "other guy" offered him hahaha!!!!

We have also been to used car yards and new car dealers, so far everyone has been nice and polite, absolutely no pushy tactics which was a nice surprise.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #24
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp View Post
31st! You were at an advantage and probably could have knocked off a few extra $K's to boost his sales figures before end of month, especially if he was behind. It's a great day to negotiate if you're willing to sign that day and salesman under quota are always super keen to make that sale.

I only ever go car shopping at the end of the month. My last 3 cars were purchased on the last week of Feb (I think two of them on the 28th). ;)
A salesman will only knock off whatever his sales manager who in turn after ringing the dealer principal will allow him to knock off,fwiw the best time (if indeed there is such a thing when it comes to buying a car at a stealership) is the end of a 1/4 more so if buying a new car.Salesman reaching there quota means little to anyone but the salesman who in general have zero ability to knock anything off anything without asking etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Back in 2014 I decided to start looking for a decent second car as a back up for my AU ll... I saw an inviting ad for a 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia..
Looked good...I rang the yard and enquired more about the car. In those days I didn't finish work until 5pm and with a 140 km drive to the city and the 'hard sell' by this Kerry bloke I all but ruled it out.. Next morning the phone rang.. It was him..He suggested we meet half way at 6 pm that day..I agreed.. We met at a road house and I took the car for a brief test drive to see how it went.. All seemed okay..Stupidly I didn't test everything , but I asked him if everything worked including the 6 stack CD player. He assured me it had all been checked..

They wanted $4900 for the car and said that it would probably sell next day without a deposit...It was a Tuesday..I wrote him a cheque for $500..and he wrote out that both keys would be provided , full service , paint work properly cleaned and buffed , a Ghia badge replaced that was missing and wheel alignment done as I noticed it needed...ALL GOOD so I thought..
Collecting the car came up.."No worries , we have another car to deliver near you on Friday so I'll drop her off for you "...Saved me a late afternoon trip..

Thursday night came and I got home from work to find a message from Kerry..
Can't drop off your car ..You'll have to come and get it.. I ended up organising a lift with a friend to a place 25 kms or so from Launceston as he was travelling up to the NW Coast that day.He could drop me at the junction of the Bass and Midlands Highways , so I rang this goose back and asked could he at least bring the car out to save me having to find another way or a taxi into town..My boss was also sympathetic and agreed to let me work my hours on Friday night.. This Kerry bloke said he'd have the car there at 2 pm ...I waited and waited and rang...and waited...and about 3.15 the car appeared..

Not happy Jan , The young bloke wanted the cheque for the balance as he gave me a receipt and I asked if the spare keys were there with the paperwork on the seat.."Don't know " as he scribbled out the receipt..As he did I had a look but couldn't find them..but he said that if not Kerry will send them on....Also noticed that no detailing was done either..
I drove the 120 or so kays home...Never tried anything , got back about 4.40 pm and went back to work for a couple of hours to get my stuff done..
So tired I didn't do anything else with the car that day once I got something for tea on the way home..
A drizzley Saturday morning and I expectantly got up early to try out the new toy..It was a nice looking car , drove pretty well really...Had just under 200,000 k's on her all leather , sat nav , dual climate etc etc...As I took it for a drive I decided to try out the CD stacker etc...Went in and got one...As I drove I put the CD in...Nup.."Waiting" then "No Disc" message on the ICC.. I waited for a while and tried again ..nothing...
Then the fun started..I finally got this apology for a salesman a few days later and asked him about the stacker , the lack of cleaning , the missing keys , missing badge that turned out to be mailed to me..He apologised and said the keys were 'not yet found' ...the CD Player was 'on the way' and they'd replace when it arrived , "You do the wheel alignment and we'll reimburse you for it' ..Then the bugger hung up on me telling me he was busy with a client and had to go .

I waited , waited , waited for about 3 weeks...Nothing happened..I then began re contacting them..Finally tracked down Kerry was told "Can't get the keys or a replacement CD unit....sorry mate...
I never got the wheel alignment re imbursed either , the keys cost me $210 about three months later and I bypassed the CD with a data cable for MP3 later on ...I know that I should have kept hounding them or gone to small claims tribunal or something but this terrible car yard drove me mad with sheer frustration..

I traded the car on my FG XR6 in March 2016 and the Ford dealership was an absolute joy in comparison but I learned from the previous nightmare to make sure everything was documented and checked and delivered BEFORE I collected the car...I learned a valuable lesson....Ironically the gave me $3500 trade in on the Fairmont Ghia which was the deal sealer and their absolute attention to detail was the total opposite of the other mob...
"Let the buyer beware" is one thing but this crowd's efforts were just plain disgraceful...Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 01-04-2017 at 08:12 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #26
Kicking back

I had to laugh at the time. The wife and I rocked up to a mazda used dealer in my 08 ghia, and the salesman got out of his cx9 with cx9 related vanity plates and said to me "good thing your trading that money pit in, are you after a 6?"."nah mate, we are trading a 6". It's true, we were. The mazda 6 was traded sight unseen for a cx9. The reason for sight unseen was we didn't want to be beat down by the peeling paint. 12 months later we traded the cx9 to the same dealer. Dealt with old mate again (to be fair, he has been the best guy I have dealt with, just a bit of a smart ar$e) I saw the cx9 vanity plates on a xr6. "Aren't they a money pit?" I asked to a response of "err um, how can I help you today","trading the money pit (cx9), interested in the g6 ecoboost you have". Nothing but helpful after that. We did walk on the deal but that's my technique, got a grand (maybe 500, don't remember) off and since then the car has been faultless.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #27
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

About 5 years ago my missus went to get some milk and bread. It was a Friday. She returned in a Mazda Astina 2001. The car salesman said take it for the weekend and bring it back on Monday. As soon as she turned up at home with it, i knew it was sold! Can't argue with the missus when she has a smile from ear to ear!
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #28
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypzy View Post
About 5 years ago my missus went to get some milk and bread. It was a Friday. She returned in a Mazda Astina 2001. The car salesman said take it for the weekend and bring it back on Monday. As soon as she turned up at home with it, i knew it was sold! Can't argue with the missus when she has a smile from ear to ear!
Unless she's smiling about the guy on the table across the room....
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #29
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Dealer sells cars in roadworthy condition if registered and tyres are part of it .They would of put the cheapest chines tyres on it too :-).
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #30
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Dealer sells cars in roadworthy condition if registered and tyres are part of it .They would of put the cheapest chines tyres on it too :-).
There were new Goodyear excellence on the 2nd hand g6 the wife bought. It was a mazda dealer not a small time operation