Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #31
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden V8 sportscar not ‘guaranteed’ as HSV products questioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Holden turns its back on bogans

Where do the bogans go now?

Ford and Holden had no problem selling heaps of performance sedans to the faithful "bogans". Now they don't want to know them.

The real truth is that bogans tend to buy second hand, so how can a brand protect against that, they can't.
Funny you should say that, around here, it was the bogan Aussies who drove Fords. crim tech school types.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #32
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Are you referring to a certain car insurance advert which is 'not going to Broken Hill'. Maybe swap the Merc for a 'non-Holden' Holden.

Way back in my memory is a TV advert for a Commodore ute doing circle work to the strains of AccaDacca 'Back in Black". How politically incorrect and bogan was that.
To quote Richie ... 'Simply marvellous'
Haha, Richie should have done car ads.

I was thinking more Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. With your car turning transvestite and all.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #33
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Looks like there'll be a lot of old V8 Commodores held together with anything that works for a couple of decades yet then.
This is really sad ..I thought at the time when Ford announced closure that we were sold up the garden path..Never thought much of Holden's situation initially but Ford at least already had gone global with Mustang. Let's hope we're wrong but it may not be as easy for GMH. Too much history of V8's to not have a sports goer that's for sure..
To prove my point , a couple of weeks ago at our local car show attended by about 320 exhibits , among a decent contingent of Fords were about 10 new Mustangs but only one single FGX , although it was an XR6 Sprint..They're all over the place even in Tassie.. One of the new Mustang owners I yacked to at length told me that every day around Hobart now he'll spot a fellow pony but hardly ever sees an FGX..
Camaro , I have no doubt now would be something like the same IF at some stage they got here . NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER just on the strength of Mustang sales.
At the very end of this great little video shot very early before the wind got too much for the drone there is a photo after the Mustang contingent arrived .
All beaut , all reasonably local , never thought that it'd happen so quick but it has

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDj...ature=youtu.be
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-06-2017 at 07:50 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #34
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ..A few of the 10 or so Mustangs that were at our Car Show
and
and

C'mon GM , I hope there's a way somehow to let the loyal Red Lion fans be able to buy something like these at some stage. Such a travesty if not.
Not all of the Holden crew will be happy with or want poxy SUV's and piddley little runabouts..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #35
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Camaro has nowhere near the global appeal of the Mustang. Not even close. Most of the world's population know what a Mustang is but you can't say that about the Camaro.
According to what? Where did you get this information from?

Quick search on Google Trends though, shows that since 2004 the Global search trends for Camaro vs Mustang have narrowed. And if you look at the regions globally, those countries who have searched for Mustang pretty much searched for Camaro...so the awareness/appeal is there.....globally

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...,%2Fm%2F01j25p
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #36
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post

Quick search on Google Trends though, shows that since 2004 the Global search trends for Camaro vs Mustang have narrowed. And if you look at the regions globally, those countries who have searched for Mustang pretty much searched for Camaro...so the awareness/appeal is there.....globally

Yep lots of people in Syria, Iraq, and Brazil googling Camaro

The difference globally is about double too for Mustang.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #37
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
I think if Ford can sell Mustang globally and have a case for RHD, then there is no reason why GM can't do the same with the Camaro (and possibly Corvette).
My guess is Ford wanted mustang in UK and Japan, so australia was 'just lucky' to get it.

I think HSV will probably find more customers with hot Colorados than anything else in Holden's line up. Hot Hatch Astra?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #38
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Who didn't see this coming. GM don't have the numbers to build anything low volume in rhd. The exact reason the Camaro was never build in rhd for the current gen.
They binned Zeta after just one generation and did a clean sheet design. Either shows how 'good' the 1 billion dollar baby was, or the actual contempt the yanks have for anything not made by them.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #39
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post

Any non car person will know mustang and little red corvette. I'm sure a few may be a bit iffy with Camaro and may even mistake it for Camry..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #40
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Either shows how 'good' the 1 billion dollar baby was, or the actual contempt the yanks have for anything not made by them.
Definitely a case of yanks being shown how to do things, which never goes down well.
That's why they are the world champions in baseball, gridiron and professional wrestling. And action men like Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris and Sly Stallone to save the world.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 AM   #41
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Yep lots of people in Syria, Iraq, and Brazil googling Camaro

The difference globally is about double too for Mustang.
Yes, the same countries you mentioned above also ranked highly for Mustang...

So the global appeal is there then....isn't that what we were talking about?
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #42
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Definitely a case of yanks being shown how to do things, which never goes down well.
That's why they are the world champions in baseball, gridiron and professional wrestling. And action men like Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris and Sly Stallone to save the world.

I'm not sure that's the case Ira. The Zeta platform was slated for use on a number of large GM models, most of which got cancelled due to model rationalisation as a result of the GFC. Part of the rationalisation meant platforms across different sizes have commonality and if memory serves, the Zeta platform only shared commonality with one GM/Cadillac platform which was deemed to big and/or heavy so out came the pencil and paper again to make a lighter, more compact and flexible platform.

Personally, I reckon GM were in a mess platform wise during the GFC era.

They also gave us Clint... ;-)
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post