Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #121
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car yard frustrations

Well as I see it you and the dealer made an agreement whereby the dealer was going to trade your Ford for $xxxx.The dealer would have worked out what to pay for your car and what it would sell for.When you wanted to not do a trade they said pay another $800 and keep the trade in.Seems fair enough to me.As someone else said if the dealer said we have been offered more than the agreed figure what would your response be?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #122
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Open your eyes.
You signed a contract that you agreed to sell the car to them!
I dont work in a car yard. I cant deal with stupid people. I would not be able to handle you.
Would you be ok with the yard if they decided overnight to make your toymotor $800 dearer because they wanted to or would you be waving the signed contract under their nose telling them no way?
So Mr Elf , ok so I am stupid and you shouldn't be a car salesman , now we have established that !
Have you ever heard of "cooling off period" you should try it.

Last edited by Hemihunter; 27-06-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #123
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ Without seeing the timelines and the Contract we can't comment one way or the other.

I put a $1000 deposit on a Chrysler SRT8 in 2012. Same day I got cold feet; under the contract I had 24 hours to cancel and would pay a $250 fee. If I cancelled after more than 1 day I think the charge was 3% of the purchase price.

This happened on a Sunday, so I wrote a letter and emailed it to them followed by a text.

I had no qualm paying the $250, I effectively wasted their time and signed the contract.
Old 27-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #124
nstg8a

It would have been in the contract that they could charge for pulling out of the contract.

This is why it pays to read everything twice. Then read it again.

Should have just told the in laws they were too late, you had made a deal.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #125
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW a 1 day cooling off period applies when purchasing a new or used vehicle.

A cooling off period does not apply when a new or used car is purchased in cash or at auction or being purchased by another motor dealer.

A purchaser may terminate the contract in writing to the dealer during this cooling off period.

A termination amount is required to be paid, this is either $250 or 2% of the purchase price – whichever is of lesser value.

The cooling off period begins when the contract is signed and ends at 5pm the next day that the dealer is open for business.

The dealer must disclose the cooling off period to the purchaser and the prescribed form 20 of the Motor Dealers Regulation 1999 must be attached to the contract.

The cooling off period may be extended but this is to be agreed upon by both purchaser and seller and written into the contract.

The purchaser is not entitled possession of the car during cooling off unless it is agreed upon by the dealer and the purchaser is to be liable for any damage to the vehicle during this time other than wear and tear.

If you have a trade-in vehicle with the dealer during this cooling off period the dealer is not to sell the car and is also liable for any damage other than wear and tear.

If you have a dispute with a dealer generally termination of contracts can only occur when the terms and conditions have been breached.

In this case the dealer did not breach the contract. you did.
Old 27-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #126
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
So Mr Elf , ok so I am stupid and you shouldn't be a car salesman , now we have established that !
Have you ever heard of "cooling off period" you should try it.
Unless things have changed, I always thought that there's no cooling off period for new car purchases, only for used cars.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #127
hellrc5

No offence but -$800 and +$2000 is still +$1200 in my books compared to your original deal which you already were happy with I guess when you signed it. I know a straight $2000 would feel better and it feels bad to write $800 on the price tag for not surveying your whole family, friends etc before you made your move to get a new car...

Sent from my Note7 - No flame
hellrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #128
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Mate, I sold cars for fifteen years and if you had spoken to me like that I would have told you to **** off.
Nice and pretty much much what i was thinking,awhile back but spent 5 years selling Toyotas and 3 at a Ford dealership made good coin met a world of different people and enjoyed every minute of it.Lots of great memories fwiw the one that springs to mind is after selling an old couple a demo GLX Corrolla liftback in order for the old girl to take her even older husband round the South Island of NZ she turns up at work a few months later with a plate of scones (i **** you not) and with a tear in eye told me of the trip which turned out to be his last anywhere,lovely old girl,think of her from time to time and imagine how much traffic they held up on said trip.Plenty of ratbag car salesman but then theres plenty of ratbags the world over no matter how they make a quid.Two sides to every story and as in every job that has you dealing with the public i could tell of some ****ups i had to deal with but wtf thats life eh.
Old 28-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #129
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
Car yard practices really are archaic, they should drag themselves into this century and empower their salespeople with the ability to close a sale and not run off to the manager all the time for approval
You just know that whatever the first offer is gets declined by the manager, its stupid
I want to buy a new car but really have hesitated because of the way they operate
You're right, I bought a 12k car for my FIL recently and traded in his old one, the amount of times they had to run off to the manager with offers and counter offers was ridiculous. You would have thought it was a Wall Street high finance deal that was being brokered not a 12k car!!!
Old 28-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #130
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
You're right, I bought a 12k car for my FIL recently and traded in his old one, the amount of times they had to run off to the manager with offers and counter offers was ridiculous. You would have thought it was a Wall Street high finance deal that was being brokered not a 12k car!!!
Yeah, I don't get that either.

When we bought my wife's Kuga (new) we told them what the changeover figure would need to be (Focus traded). No finance required.

They couldn't do unless we chipped in another $500.

Yep, ok we were happy with that.

Off he goes to "fix up the paperwork".

Then he's back confirming that his sales manager had ok'd the deal (I thought that was what the extra $500 confirmed).

Off again,

Back again... "yep, all good to go I'll just run it past the sales manager"

WTF?

Back again. "Yep, all good" Off to organise paperwork (again).

Back again. "Sales manager seems ok with it all. Just need you to sign here...and here..."Back in a minute..."

Back again "Just need final approval from sales manager"

Back again... "All good, some more paperwork and we're done."

Seriously, it was a painful exercise for such a simple transaction - Focus + cash + extra $500 = new Kuga.

Maybe they thrive on all the important running around...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #131
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
Car yard practices really are archaic, they should drag themselves into this century and empower their salespeople with the ability to close a sale and not run off to the manager all the time for approval
You just know that whatever the first offer is gets declined by the manager, its stupid
I want to buy a new car but really have hesitated because of the way they operate
Fwiw if its new your after then as i posted earlier go see em at the end of a 1/4,in order to compete with Toyota Nissan would sell a car below cost in order to have another unit out the door for that 1/4.Am picking its the same these days as in my time where the reality was it was the second hand cars and the workshop that kept many dealerships afloat it it was down to purely new cars sales they couldnt keep there heads above water,again fwiw i lost a few deals to the likes of Nissan who would do most anything to sell a car,crazy really as back then the Nissan was a ****box compared to a similar Toyota but in order to save $500 or so some would sign up.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #132
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What really happens behind the scenes with the back and forthing to higher-ups .......

'Mate, I've got a wood-duck out there, just make myself a cup of coffee'
'Back for a mouthful of coffee. They think I'm doing some bargaining on their part'
'Gee, I desperately need a bog. They still think I'm getting some sort of approval'
'Bugga. My coffee has gone cold. I'll have to make another one while they wait'
'That should just about do it. What .... no more TimTams left ?'

"Sorry folks, that was hard work, you drove a great bargain there, and the General Manager has reluctantly agreed to your change-over price"
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #133
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
What really happens behind the scenes with the back and forthing to higher-ups .......

'Mate, I've got a wood-duck out there, just make myself a cup of coffee'
'Back for a mouthful of coffee. They think I'm doing some bargaining on their part'
'Gee, I desperately need a bog. They still think I'm getting some sort of approval'
'Bugga. My coffee has gone cold. I'll have to make another one while they wait'
'That should just about do it. What .... no more TimTams left ?'

"Sorry folks, that was hard work, you drove a great bargain there, and the General Manager has reluctantly agreed to your change-over price"
I was going to post up a link about selling cars, but changed my mind. Now that I have read your post...

https://unbounce.com/landing-pages/s...-car-salesman/

Disclaimer: I have always had good experiences at car yards...
Old 28-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #134
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I reckon that's spot on.

The pack at the front are like the door-knockers who try to sell you roof restorations or whatever.

They get a name then the real sales people turn up.

I must say in defence of car sales people that my experience at Holden was very different to that at Ford.

I bought a new Calais V two weeks before the Kuga mentioned above.

Same deal.... "this is what it'll have to be to get me out of my G6E trade and into the Calais." No finance required.

Actually sat at the sales guy's desk. He looked up whatever (presumably the bottom line) on the Calais and "yep, that's doable" and we did it.

An hour and a half including the time it took to go to bank and get bank chq for difference.

Drove home in the Calais.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #135
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
Maybe they thrive on all the SELFimportant running around...
Fixed it for you.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #136
stock1991
Limited supply

car salesman tell you anything you want to hear, mostly and anything that is a problem is nothing to worry about, until later love cars, don't ya
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #137
JET62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Recent Toyota Dealership experience western Sydney.

Trade in our Ford for the New Toyota.
Agreed and signed contract.
We then spoke with the in laws who wanted our trade in car and would give us 2K more for it than dealer had offered.
Ok went back to dealer and explained, They then come out with the Contract and explain that our trade in was part of the deal , and to not go ahead would cost us $800.00 .. I told them you don't own our trade in we do, and we are still driving it until new car arrives!
I said to charge me for a car we own and forget the new car deal, and you guessed it under the contract we get charged another $2000 for pulling out of the deal.

Anyway they relented on the trade in BS, But our experience of buying a new car totally sucks with Toyota.
Mate, that's Gold.
You signed a legally binding enforcable document.
You wanted to make $2000 out of your own in-laws.
You reneged on the contract.
And you were still going to be $1200 better off by doing it.
And you still claim the dealer was doing the dirty.
Who needs enemies?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #138
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have bought a few new cars over the years and some secondhand ones too. What I hate when you re buying a new one is when they spring the "Ming Moll" on you.

You think you've done the deal, trade in price agreed etc then they get this sexy looking chick in a short skirt and a low cut top to try to get you to buy paint protection, window tinting and fabric guard etc. All at 3 times the price you can get the same stuff yourself if you shop around a bit.

It never works on me though, I just tell them straight out I'm not talking to the Ming Moll.

Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #139
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Have bought a few new cars over the years and some secondhand ones too. What I hate when you re buying a new one is when they spring the "Ming Moll" on you.

You think you've done the deal, trade in price agreed etc then they get this sexy looking chick in a short skirt and a low cut top to try to get you to buy paint protection, window tinting and fabric guard etc. All at 3 times the price you can get the same stuff yourself if you shop around a bit.

It never works on me though, I just tell them straight out I'm not talking to the Ming Moll.

Mike
I love the Ming Moll, I perve on them for a while, pretend I'm half interested, engage in a little bit of social lubricant and then politely decline and maybe see if I can get a phone number...
Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #140
stock1991
Limited supply

I bought from a car yard today and the guy says , "I'm going to introduce you to Vicki" I said is that the ming mole? he cracked up
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #141
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always ask them if they can show you their car in the parking lot so you can see how well the paint protection holds up.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #142
Magee

I hadn't bought a car from a dealer for 30 years and was expecting the worse when I made an enquiry on Carsales for a dealer advertised car last week. My actual experience ended up being a pleasant surprise.

My experience was as follows:
1) They rang within 5 mins of hitting the enquiry button.
2) The phone conversation gave a clear representation of condition of vehicle (AU XR8)
3) They accepted a deposit over the phone to hold vehicle on the condition of an Inspection of vehicle for the following weekend.
4) The Dealer Rang the following day with an offer to drive vehicle 1 hr to my work so I could inspect and make a decision on accepting vehicle.
5) I checked the vehicle it was actually better than I had expected. I had a nice chat to the sales guy and he never put any pressure on me to close the sale. I then agreed to the purchase of the vehicle and provided a copy of my licence so he could do the paperwork once he was back in the office.
6) I picked the up car this weekend and with all paper work already done I spent less than 5 mins in their office, before I paid on my credit card and was handed the keys.

I spent 1 hour driving the car home and it was a absolute joy to drive. Great condition for a 17 year old car. The V8 purred on the freeway and had nice crisp burble on acceleration away from the lights. I can't remember the last time I was this happy.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #143
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
I hadn't bought a car from a dealer for 30 years and was expecting the worse when I made an enquiry on Carsales for a dealer advertised car last week. My actual experience ended up being a pleasant surprise.

My experience was as follows:
1) They rang within 5 mins of hitting the enquiry button.
2) The phone conversation gave a clear representation of condition of vehicle (AU XR8)
3) They accepted a deposit over the phone to hold vehicle on the condition of an Inspection of vehicle for the following weekend.
4) The Dealer Rang the following day with an offer to drive vehicle 1 hr to my work so I could inspect and make a decision on accepting vehicle.
5) I checked the vehicle it was actually better than I had expected. I had a nice chat to the sales guy and he never put any pressure on me to close the sale. I then agreed to the purchase of the vehicle and provided a copy of my licence so he could do the paperwork once he was back in the office.
6) I picked the up car this weekend and with all paper work already done I spent less than 5 mins in their office, before I paid on my credit card and was handed the keys.

I spent 1 hour driving the car home and it was a absolute joy to drive. Great condition for a 17 year old car. The V8 purred on the freeway and had nice crisp burble on acceleration away from the lights. I can't remember the last time I was this happy.
G'day Now ya dunnit...Get the bloody camera out and post some pic of the new chariot..
Seriously though , it's refreshing to see that it's not that hard to get a good outcome from the dealers. My FG XR6 in March 2016 was very similar to this. I even got a box of chokkies but also a follow up call a couple of weeks later to see how the car was going..Details on the beast please.
Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #144
Magee

Post deleted as link not working

Last edited by Magee; 09-07-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Link Still not working
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #145
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Bought a Ranger cab chassis 3 1/2 weeks ago after negotiations over a few days with the dealership.
The car had to be sourced from interstate and while this was happening they didn't checked for availability of the aluminium tray. Turns out that all trays were snapped up for the EOFY rush. Every manufacturer has a 4 week backlog.

Can't pick up the car until the tray arrives -Bugga!

I was told that bull bars have a 6-8 week backlog. Good luck getting your vehicle everybody.