Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Road Bike-for $3,000 odd- what should I be looking at

So- I am at that stage I cannot get out rock climbing due to work/family.

I am unable to run because I broke my right knee when 17 holding onto a motorbike when on a bicycle (I have done 100 kph on a bicycle holding onto a motorbike- but that story for another time).

Exercise has been gym, but I stuffed up my elbows doing far too heavy tricep presses-so my main recent exercise has been swimming - and that is not enough as with age you put on weight.

I have a 27 year old road bike- alloy and heavy, and has rusted spokes and I have given up riding it on a loop of 20 km with hills because one section you reach speeds over 60 kph and it started worrying me the front wheel collapsing.

So- I am thinking about buying a new road bike- and getting back into riding. I love riding in the country, with hills- up and down, like the feeling of speed and being on a remote road all by myself in the bush.

Do not have a clue what I should be looking for, a person said go carbon fibre cause it is lighter and absorbs bumps and is comfortable (my heavy alloy bike is rough as guts on rough roads).

I am in Newcastle, so going to Sydney is feasible. What should I be looking for, brands, frame -alloy/carbon fibre?, running gear, specific models and good deals in Sydney/Newcastle.

Given I am totally lost all help would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Road Bike-for $3,000 odd- what should I be looking at

No one cuts you off with this!

But in all seriousness, go carbon fibre. Hills are a breeze, 70-80kph easily achieved (down hill).
Look at some second hand bikes, as there might be a bargain out there. The aging lycrahypes will want their retirement investment back, so look out.

Last edited by marty351; 11-07-2017 at 11:18 AM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You could try asking in this thread.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343245
Old 27-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge question..

Would me the same as "What car should I buy".

Few questions to answer:

- Will you want to ride in all weather conditions
- Do you want a race orientated set up or a more relaxed one
- Is your budget JUST for the bike, or is that total, because you will need accessories such as shoes, clothing, etc.

Few points:

- Carbon fibre is the most common now, it has become a lot cheaper and yes it is lighter, stiffer, but you need to buy a decent bike for that to actually make a difference. Other components can severely hamper the bikes ability, so just because it is carbon doesn't make it amazing, and just because a bike is alloy doesn't make it crap.

Case in point is the Cannondale CAAD10, that thing would be fkn amazing, and it's alloy.

- A road bike does have a tight geometry, so please ensure you get the correct size for you, or get it fitted for you, because it sounds like you already have some body niggles, so no point adding to that.
Old 27-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Man this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge question..

Would me the same as "What car should I buy".

Few questions to answer:

- Will you want to ride in all weather conditions
- Do you want a race orientated set up or a more relaxed one
- Is your budget JUST for the bike, or is that total, because you will need accessories such as shoes, clothing, etc.

Few points:

- Carbon fibre is the most common now, it has become a lot cheaper and yes it is lighter, stiffer, but you need to buy a decent bike for that to actually make a difference. Other components can severely hamper the bikes ability, so just because it is carbon doesn't make it amazing, and just because a bike is alloy doesn't make it crap.

Case in point is the Cannondale CAAD10, that thing would be fkn amazing, and it's alloy.

- A road bike does have a tight geometry, so please ensure you get the correct size for you, or get it fitted for you, because it sounds like you already have some body niggles, so no point adding to that.
Will mainly be riding dry weather- want a fast bike but more for hills and flowing country roads- like to go fast down and like climbing.

Thinking about buying a second hand Cervelo R3, but worried about carbon fibre cracks?

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 27-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Road Bike-for $3,000 odd- what should I be looking at

Agree with DBourne response. It is so easy to make a purchase , but to make the right purchase becomes so much more difficult . Sure , with sufficient cash , you can move through the trial and error phase of finding the right purchase , however , I agree with sufficient research and talking to the right people you should be able to narrow the right purchase .
A important note which DBourne touched on, you may settle on the bike type , but it's so important that you are able to purchase the right frame size in that bike type . To often you see individuals starting out with a budget, popping into a store and walking away with a bike within their budget and requested style , but either the frame is too small or bigger than ideal.
It's so important once you have decided on what type of bike you are after you should research that a frame manufacturer provides you the right size in your budget. Don't be afraid to ask , if you have any questions or concerns . It's cheaper to sort those out before the purchase than after.
As a start , in my opinion the two most important touch points for a new rider are reach (3 positions on the handle bars ) and for/after position of the seat in conjunction with hip/knee/foot positioning.
Good luck .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went through this a couple of years ago.

Despite owning a carbon bike and it has some compelling strong points, I would never get another one.
A couple of reasons.
They are uncomfortable. Carbon has no give and unless you are on billiard table roads you will feel everything. They have carbon handlebars, carbon seatposts, everything is carbon and you get no reprieve from the vibrations.
ok for younger people but as you age it gets very tiring.

They are fragile, fall off and you will likely break a hanger which means a new frame (unless someone has found a way to repair them)

It's debateable whether or not they are faster for the average human. No doubt they are faster in the hands of professionals. They will accelerate faster but I'm not so sure they are faster downhill. I feel extra weight would be an advantage there.
Pure racing bikes can also be a compromise positioning wise, despite being professionally fitted I have trouble keeping my head up after 50km's or so, the frame is designed for pure speed. Once again that's ok if you are a bit younger. At our age comfort is most important. What's the point of having a bike that hurts when you ride it.

You get to a point where spending more money only equates to weight reduction.

If I were to do it again I would get an alloy frame and combine it with an Ultegra groupset.

If you are dead set on new carbon I would take their sizing recommendation and then trying a smaller frame. The small frame will force you to sit more upright. It's the one change I would make to mine if I could.

PS. I would never spend $3k on a second hand carbon bike, One crack and it's toast.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

If you are 75 kg or over then the chance of frame-failure increases. I'm a big person (194cm) so carbon forks and stays and alloy mainframe. Specialized. Comfy.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the input guys.

Decided to go Cervello R3, new, so lifetime warranty on the carbon frame.

From what I have read, has a comfortable carbon frame with flex, so will be a lot more comfortable than my present very hard alloy 28 year old rusted bike.

Picking it up tomorrow, got 30% off.

Going to take my old bike out for a ride today so I realise what a lucky boy I am tomorrow.

3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #10
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was going to say a VTR Firestorm if you wanted a reliable twin but then I saw it was about pushy's. doh
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

Decided to go Cervello R3, new, so lifetime warranty on the carbon frame.

From what I have read, has a comfortable carbon frame with flex, so will be a lot more comfortable than my present very hard alloy 28 year old rusted bike.

Picking it up tomorrow, got 30% off.

Going to take my old bike out for a ride today so I realise what a lucky boy I am tomorrow.
How much?

Lifetime warranty on the frame is nice - wish I had that.
What groupset?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
How much?

Lifetime warranty on the frame is nice - wish I had that.
What groupset?
The Cervelo R3 came with mechanical Shimano Ultegra, with Rotor 3D BBRight cranks.

Cost me $3,150.00.

Then I had to get pedals, and shoes, as my other bike has toe clips.

Could not believe how light the bike is. Drove down to Sydney today, and was only one guy in shop- really busy, so took me almost 4 hours to get fitted, kitted out-went to a cafe next door x 2 to break the waits- not too bad, a very pretty skinny blond with nice smile and totally improbably large chest looked after me and made the wait very enjoyable.

Anyway, plan is to go to work early tomorrow for half day, and come home at 2.00 and take the beast for a run.

3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

bit late to the party, but i'll just add this youtube clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3RG5dztrXM

for just about anything you want to know, i find GCN (global cycling network) on youtube one of the best resources out there. anything you want to know, or how to do, they'll be sure to have a video on it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
haha, yes, i learned very quickly that buying the bike was the cheap part.

also, with bike kit, it really is worth spending the extra and getting decent kit, especially bib knicks.

to make sure you are easily seen (and legal) lights are pretty important too.

i have a moon shield rear light, which reviews consistently up the top of the pile for rear lights.

front lights is a bit like how long is a piece of string. there is just a stupid amount of choice out there, but for a decent light, you do need to spend the money, rather than buy a cheap one off ebay.

i recently bought a serfas e-lume 1100 for my front light, as much of my commuting is at night or early morning. its awesome as it has no hotspot. its just a really good beam spread.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
haha, yes, i learned very quickly that buying the bike was the cheap part.

also, with bike kit, it really is worth spending the extra and getting decent kit, especially bib knicks.

I walked in with faded baggy cotton olive knee length shorts with paint splatter and said this is what I am going to use- and there were hoots of laughter.

Was coerced into nylon black shorts with like a rubber seat cushioning.

Feels like I am a toddler again wearing a nappy-and a napy filled with poo whats more. So being a MAMIL is full circle back to napy babyhood.

Last edited by asagaai; 03-07-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #16
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Congrats on the purchase... despite the initial nappy feeling, you'll learn to appreciate a good pair of cycling shorts. I bought a pair of Castelli shorts, 50% off at $80, and they were great on my last long ride. If I wear a cheaper pair I can feel the difference in comfort.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
I walked in with faded baggy cotton olive knee length shorts with paint splatter and said this is what I am going to use- and there were hoots of laughter.

Was coerced into nylon black shorts with like a rubber seat cushioning.

Feels like I am a toddler again wearing a nappy-and a napy filled with poo whats more. So being a MAMIL is full circle back to napy babyhood.
Theres nothing wrong with wearing real shorts over bike pants with posterior protection. Getting rear ended over every bump is why you need the bike ones.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #18
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took the Cervelo R3 for second ride today. Ended up doing a ride of 60 km in length, steep hills, and lots of long inclines, etc, and the last time I did that ride was about 12 years ago when I was doing a lot of riding for fitness.

And it seemed that the hills were not as hard, even the 4 very steep ones.

And I even outgunned and overtook another cyclist- that is a first-never happened when I was riding a lot on my Repco.

I must be a freak-getting fitter and stronger with age and drinking wine despite no riding.

All seriousness- buying this Cervelo R3 has been the best money spent-was in a really crappy filthy angry mood yesterday and 2 hours riding and getting home stuffed today has brought back the good feel endorphins-buggered but calm and happy.

No tingling hands and forearms which happened on the alloy bike after that ride.

If you are like me and like riding but have never owned a carbon fibre bike like a Cervelo- you are missing out. So comfortable in the seat- the stays and carbon fibre seat pole act as shock absorbers-amazing at speed the rear end gets more comfortable-like floating on air.

Last edited by asagaai; 07-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
All seriousness- buying this Cervelo R3 has been the best money spent-was in a really crappy filthy angry mood yesterday and 2 hours riding and getting home stuffed today has brought back the good feel endorphins-buggered but calm and happy.
100%

Cycling is very therapeutic. My mrs says I'm a lot happier and chattier after a ride. Being a shift worker I mope about like a bear with a sore head a lot and going for a ride always acts like the perfect medicine.

Are you on strava yet?

There is an AFF group on there too so join up. Best way to keep track of your rides and fitness.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Cervelo R3 came with mechanical Shimano Ultegra, with Rotor 3D BBRight cranks.

Cost me $3,150.00.

Then I had to get pedals, and shoes, as my other bike has toe clips.

Could not believe how light the bike is. Drove down to Sydney today, and was only one guy in shop- really busy, so took me almost 4 hours to get fitted, kitted out-went to a cafe next door x 2 to break the waits- not too bad, a very pretty skinny blond with nice smile and totally improbably large chest looked after me and made the wait very enjoyable.

Anyway, plan is to go to work early tomorrow for half day, and come home at 2.00 and take the beast for a run.
Pretty much the same as mine and interestingly same price. I purchased mine in 2011.
I have an Avanti Cadent with Ultegra but a 105 compact crank.

I wear boardies over my bibs, some things should not be seen.
Sadly I don't ride so much anymore, sharing the road with road trains is not much fun.

Have you been back for a coffee?...or have you gone blind?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 25-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Congrats on the Cervelo, definitely a good buy.

As for the anti carbon comments, carbon is actually renowned for being a lot more comfortable and able to absorb shock and vibrations than alloy frames. Steel and titanium normally do it even better but titanium is crazy expensive and steel is heavy. As for carbon not being able to be repaired, very wrong as it is very repairable. Paint my Bike in Brisbane repaired my carbon Eddy Merckx.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #22
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Congrats on the Cervelo, definitely a good buy.

As for the anti carbon comments, carbon is actually renowned for being a lot more comfortable and able to absorb shock and vibrations than alloy frames. Steel and titanium normally do it even better but titanium is crazy expensive and steel is heavy. As for carbon not being able to be repaired, very wrong as it is very repairable. Paint my Bike in Brisbane repaired my carbon Eddy Merckx.
I have heard a lot of good things about 'Paint My Bike'. I have a friend who fell off his Colnago C60 on the smart trainer (how?? - dont ask), and he had the bike stripped down and send off to Paint My Bike and unless you knew it was broken - you could not pick it . One of the reason's why i would be hesitate to purchase a carbon bike secondhand (for that matter any bike) unless i knew the previous owner. My bike retailer in Melb - tells me that they , along with Paul Fitzgerald based in Geelong are flat out making repairs to 'carbon' bikes .
Another friend , looking to purchase a high end carbon bike 'cheap' won't inpsect the bike unless he is allowed to inspect the frame with a 'scope' through each tube .
Old 26-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmobile View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about 'Paint My Bike'. I have a friend who fell off his Colnago C60 on the smart trainer (how?? - dont ask), and he had the bike stripped down and send off to Paint My Bike and unless you knew it was broken - you could not pick it . One of the reason's why i would be hesitate to purchase a carbon bike secondhand (for that matter any bike) unless i knew the previous owner. My bike retailer in Melb - tells me that they , along with Paul Fitzgerald based in Geelong are flat out making repairs to 'carbon' bikes .
Another friend , looking to purchase a high end carbon bike 'cheap' won't inpsect the bike unless he is allowed to inspect the frame with a 'scope' through each tube .
Agreed, but alloy is prone to stress fractures which does not show until it fails in a big way and steel rusts from the inside out which is often undetected until the tube fails, normally at the bottom bracket end of the chain stays. All materials have issues, I honestly doubt carbon is any worse than any other.

My Merckx had 2 issues. One was the alloy bottom bracket shell that is bonded in the bottom bracket twisted when torquing down the Italian thread bottom bracket. It now has a new shell bonded in there and it has been converted to an English thread. The second was a massive gouge taken out of the chain stay from where the chain jumped off the inner ring and jammed between the chain ring and the chain stay. The damage was nearly through all layers of carbon and definitely weakened the stay. That has been repaired and even though it is clear lacquer over the carbon weave you can barely see the repair unless you know it is there.

Interestingly talking to the guys at Paint my Bike they said that sort of damage is easier to repair on carbon than alloy. On carbon the repair can end up stronger than original but on alloy it often ends up weaker because heating the tube during welding causes potential weak spots from the heat of the weld.
Old 26-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
Agreed, but alloy is prone to stress fractures which does not show until it fails in a big way and steel rusts from the inside out which is often undetected until the tube fails, normally at the bottom bracket end of the chain stays. All materials have issues, I honestly doubt carbon is any worse than any other.

My Merckx had 2 issues. One was the alloy bottom bracket shell that is bonded in the bottom bracket twisted when torquing down the Italian thread bottom bracket. It now has a new shell bonded in there and it has been converted to an English thread. The second was a massive gouge taken out of the chain stay from where the chain jumped off the inner ring and jammed between the chain ring and the chain stay. The damage was nearly through all layers of carbon and definitely weakened the stay. That has been repaired and even though it is clear lacquer over the carbon weave you can barely see the repair unless you know it is there.

Interestingly talking to the guys at Paint my Bike they said that sort of damage is easier to repair on carbon than alloy. On carbon the repair can end up stronger than original but on alloy it often ends up weaker because heating the tube during welding causes potential weak spots from the heat of the weld.
You're correct in your summary. There are pitfalls with the other materials and yes i have also heard that the repairs to the carbon frame can result in a weight penalty but a stronger tube.
What gets up my goat is that you can have a carbon frame / bike which has done little work as it has been used sparingly and the seller is looking to sell at a higher price , yet in the same market a carbon frame/bike which has seen 20,000ks plus a year and ridden with little respect , possibly broken , yet the price is very much on par as the other.
I guess its no different than the challenges we find with cars,motorcycles and other goods .
I guess it pays to be vigilant, do your research and offen its not the goods itself that tells you walk away but the character of the seller.
I am afraid i always sell my bikes as "new' and they represent as 'new' - no misrepresentation here.