Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
STK-XR8

Default (vic) channel 7 6:00 tonight

just recieved a call about mobile speed cameras on tonights news channel 7 6:00 ,dont know exactly whats its about but for everyone that like /dislike mobile speed cameras should make an interesting topic .
apperently it was filmed at a live site not staged with a short interview with the operator about all the crap they have to put up with while getting paid an hourly wage like all of us.

den

STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was about the chickenshits attacking the operators and the steps taken to protect them, There is no use attacking the people in the cars, the best that will become of that is police back in them and a few bruised and battered morons learning that the ballot box is the place to vent their frustrations.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

They are just doing there job. And if you want to speed, wear the punishment. No point giving these guys a hard time.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Bah the operators as as bad as the politicians pushing for revenue.

Just cause theyre foot soldiers dosnt mean they arent fair game.

While i probably wouldnt attack them physically, i like to give them a good shake of the fist and yell out obscenities.

Maybe when they come home at night they will have a think about why everybody hates them and reconsider their choice of profession.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
It was about the chickenshits attacking the operators and the steps taken to protect them, There is no use attacking the people in the cars, the best that will become of that is police back in them and a few bruised and battered morons learning that the ballot box is the place to vent their frustrations.
Could not have put it any better than that XACoupe..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
joe260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default nice

nice car xa coupe love the old cars
joe260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Bah the operators as as bad as the politicians pushing for revenue.

While i probably wouldnt attack them physically, i like to give them a good shake of the fist and yell out obscenities.

Maybe when they come home at night they will have a think about why everybody hates them and reconsider their choice of profession.
up there for thinking 4:
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
nobbystang

Quote:
learning that the ballot box is the place to vent their frustrations.
Somehow I don't think that will change anything unless we manage to form a party from here that will win an election!!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Somehow I don't think that will change anything unless we manage to form a party from here that will win an election!!!
Why would you need to form a party?? what's wrong with a properly set up lobby group?? Too many people are short sighted and give up. Complaining about it will never get anything done.
I have seen so many people on forums carry on about it but when it comes to actually doing something no one ponies up. The first time it's funny, after 6 or so years of it .. it's quite boring.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love the poor old foot patrol winge, why hide your police sign from drivers so they dont see it till they are on top of them unless you enjoy being a *****, also why are they where no accidents occur but on good roads and just after a bottom of hill where even cars with cruise turned on will always creep up about 5 or 6 kmh
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
DUVEL

Quote:
If they put the cameras in black spots instead of revenue raising positions the public wouldn't abuse them,all this protection and added safety crap for these a holes is just going to cost us more in taxes,i don't know about you guys but i work hard for my money,i hate seeing it going to the wrong places.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
STK-XR8

well personaly i dont see why anyone needs to put up with that sort of s$%t at there work place ,they are only there to stop speeding motorist in that short area and if you get caught then its your own bad luck, most stand out like dogs balls anyway.
as for the operator in the interview who has copped a machete to the car and even another operator has been showed a pistol in mill park somewhere ,another operator in country has been shown a rifle ,bricks and bottles thrown at the cars . bloody hell thats disgusting to think that some would even think of doing something like that, whats that going to achieve only a knock at the door by the coppers .hope they were caught and dealt with.

quote-nicholas -i love the poor old foot patrol winge, why hide your police sign from drivers so they dont see it till they are on top of them unless you enjoy being a *****, also why are they where no accidents occur but on good roads and just after a bottom of hill where even cars with cruise turned on will always creep up about 5 or 6 kmh -quote

dont know where your from but in victoria these operators are of a private contractor Tenix, they are not police as they are in other states.

quote-T-Terror -Bah the operators as as bad as the politicians pushing for revenue.

Maybe when they come home at night they will have a think about why everybody hates them and reconsider their choice of profession
.-quote

how are the operators just as bad as the politicians as you say pushing for revenue ?
if you get caught speeding then your only feeding money back to the goverment.

at the end of the day dont speed you wont get done and your hard earned wage will stay in your pocket not donated to the government.

den
STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
Scott

I hi-beamed a speed van one night, I saw him there on the side of a dark road, there was no other cars so I flipped on the hi-beam and spotty's on the ute. Lit him up like daylight in his van, I saw him nearly crap himself. I was pretty amused until I passed him and he got square. I was looking in the rearview back at him, I was pretty pleased with myself and having a quiet chuckle and **FLASH**FLASH** he damn near blinded me. I guess the world turns....The bastard.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 CORTY
at the end of the day dont speed you wont get done and your hard earned wage will stay in your pocket not donated to the government.
Yes its that simple, if you speed expect to make a donation.
no good blaming a camera operator, everyone needs to be responsible for there owns actions.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #15
KaptnKaos
KAOS IS RANDOM ORDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 CORTY
Couldn't agree more. It's about time some of these whingers started to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

I just don't get the point of speeding. You use more fuel; it creates more stress for the driver coz you're watching for coppers or cameras the whole time; and you risk not only your life but mine as well. Not to mention risking the health & well-being of your pride & joy (your car!).

Besides, I actually LIKE driving my car. If I speed it means I gotta stop driving sooner. Bugger that!!
KaptnKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Reminds me... Christmas morning, 10.30am... There he is set up in Kings Rd. Delahey. Hardly a car on the road.
I thought to myself... It's frigging Christmas Day, hasn't this guy got kids and a family?
Really should have stopped & wished him Merry Christmas! :
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #17
Ringo
I see you....

I hate speed camera's......
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Yes its that simple, if you speed expect to make a donation.
no good blaming a camera operator, everyone needs to be responsible for there owns actions.
This is true, people are always trying to blame someone else for there actions. If you speed (like I do sometimes, expect to pay a fine every now and then!) I cant stand people who are crazy on the road and then get angry about loosing their licence.
While I don't have an issue with paying for my bad habits, I do feel a bit pi$$ed at the low tolerence of 3klms here in Vic. Because of this you have to slow down to under the limit to be sure you dont get pinged even when you are sitting on the limit.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
While I don't have an issue with paying for my bad habits, I do feel a bit pi$$ed at the low tolerence of 3klms here in Vic. Because of this you have to slow down to under the limit to be sure you dont get pinged even when you are sitting on the limit.
Agree a 10% tolerance level should be adopted.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
They are just doing there job. And if you want to speed, wear the punishment. No point giving these guys a hard time.
I think the German SS used the same morality, as do the soldiers at Guantanamo Bay, as do the police who enforce an unfair or unjust law....do we actually condone the actions, or do we say they should have a conscience
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll jump in here, because two things really stand out in the various posts so far. Firstly, with respect to taking responsibility for your own actions, I couldn't agree more that far too many people across all elements of life tend to not do this. I'm fine with that in principle.

However, on the 2nd point, I've had a gutful of the "if you don't want to be fined, don't speed" argument. Its a simplistic, throwaway line that does nothing to address WHY many responsible, educated people tend to get really shirty with speed cameras.

I don't think there's many people around who wouldn't like a reduced road toll. Likewise, most would support the fining or removal of hoons from our roads who decide that 90kms through a school zone in pouring rain is good driving. Yep, OK so far. However, I might stand out on a limb here, but its the nature and the way that speed cameras are used that annoys people.

Things like getting pinged for 3kms over the limit; cameras used on a dead straight stretch of dual carriageway; cameras set 50 metres past a reduced speed sign; the fact that speed camera revenue goes straight to government coffers and isn't reinvested back into the road system; the absence of cameras at genuinely dangerous areas like school crossings, shopping centre strips etc.

If you go rocketing along the roads at warp speed with a deathwish, and you get pinged, then so be it. However, I still reckon that when you're driving, you should be concentrating on watching the expanse of road in front of you, rather than fiddling with your cruise control or scanning for cameras every 300 metres because you're scared of drifting 3kph over any given posted limit at any point in time.

Just my 20c.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #22
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
I'll jump in here, because two things really stand out in the various posts so far. Firstly, with respect to taking responsibility for your own actions, I couldn't agree more that far too many people across all elements of life tend to not do this. I'm fine with that in principle.

However, on the 2nd point, I've had a gutful of the "if you don't want to be fined, don't speed" argument. Its a simplistic, throwaway line that does nothing to address WHY many responsible, educated people tend to get really shirty with speed cameras.

I don't think there's many people around who wouldn't like a reduced road toll. Likewise, most would support the fining or removal of hoons from our roads who decide that 90kms through a school zone in pouring rain is good driving. Yep, OK so far. However, I might stand out on a limb here, but its the nature and the way that speed cameras are used that annoys people.

Things like getting pinged for 3kms over the limit; cameras used on a dead straight stretch of dual carriageway; cameras set 50 metres past a reduced speed sign; the fact that speed camera revenue goes straight to government coffers and isn't reinvested back into the road system; the absence of cameras at genuinely dangerous areas like school crossings, shopping centre strips etc.

If you go rocketing along the roads at warp speed with a deathwish, and you get pinged, then so be it. However, I still reckon that when you're driving, you should be concentrating on watching the expanse of road in front of you, rather than fiddling with your cruise control or scanning for cameras every 300 metres because you're scared of drifting 3kph over any given posted limit at any point in time.

Just my 20c.

Brent.
Amen to that. And in the absence of Steve Bracks there to tell him what I think of him, the camera operator gets it. Whilst I don't like the idea of them fearing for their lives, you make your bed you sleep in it. Anyone naive enough to take the job of sitting in a staionary car designed as revenue raiser, without expecting massive amounts of flack, should be locked up.

I reckon I'd rather be a parking cop for the city of melbourne.... And thats saying something.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
I hi-beamed a speed van one night, I saw him there on the side of a dark road, there was no other cars so I flipped on the hi-beam and spotty's on the ute. Lit him up like daylight in his van, I saw him nearly crap himself. I was pretty amused until I passed him and he got square. I was looking in the rearview back at him, I was pretty pleased with myself and having a quiet chuckle and **FLASH**FLASH** he damn near blinded me. I guess the world turns....The bastard.
Hmm, nearly blinded with infra red flash. Methinks a story you maketh!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

Just my 20c.

Brent.
The thing that most annoys me about the roadside speed cameras? It's when people slow down to 10 or 15km/h UNDER the speed limit so they don't get done - it's an instant cause of traffic jams and I have seen an accident or two undre these conditions as well.

This is not the fault of the van operators though, but the moronic idiots that feel the need to slow down to rediculous levels in case the speed gun gets them. To me, it shows that they have no idea what the speed limit on the road is - so what have they been looking at etc on their way to that point of the road? It's a worry!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #25
xwgasaxe
under new management

In perth metro the mobile speed camera locations are now positioned according to previous crash history as people lobbied the goverment because of the percieved revenue raising.
About time I raised this with my local member about 4 years ago.
Just have to convince them to let us keep our radar detectors!!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #26
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Hmm, nearly blinded with infra red flash. Methinks a story you maketh!
No, not a story. IR Flash has been used for some time for oncoming traffic prior it was white flash to the car after it has passed. I'm sure a million people on here can verify it for you.

Methinks you should think before you have a go at someone.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #27
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love how everyone here is saying, if you speed, cop the fine..

How many of you have being done a couple k's over at the bottom of a hill and think that's fair, seriously? And how many people complain when someone sits right on the limit (even if going down a hill), or a couple k's under so THEY stay safe.. People make threads on here complaining about it!!
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #28
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I think the German SS used the same morality, as do the soldiers at Guantanamo Bay, as do the police who enforce an unfair or unjust law....do we actually condone the actions, or do we say they should have a conscience
that is a HUGE leap.... Who says the laws are unjust and unfair?? you ?? me ??? everyone on this forum is but a **** in the ocean. Just because we think it sucks, it doesn't follow that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvel
If they put the cameras in black spots instead of revenue raising positions the public wouldn't abuse them,all this protection and added safety crap for these a holes is just going to cost us more in taxes,i don't know about you guys but i work hard for my money,i hate seeing it going to the wrong places.
I agree, but the issue at hand is the way people are attacking the operators. It will result in nothing more than worse conditions so it is totally counter productive. I refuse to speed as I pay enough tax. Anyone that can't control their driving well enough is just paying a volunatry tax. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 14-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
I love how everyone here is saying, if you speed, cop the fine..

How many of you have being done a couple k's over at the bottom of a hill and think that's fair, seriously? And how many people complain when someone sits right on the limit (even if going down a hill), or a couple k's under so THEY stay safe.. People make threads on here complaining about it!!
In most areas of Australia, the tolerance on speeding is around 10%. This is due to ADRs, but also a bit of common sense by the Police. In Vic, though, the tolerance is a flat 2 or 3km/h, which is just crazy!

So, if the tolerance level is 10%, and I travel at that tolerance level regularly, does that mean I'm speeding? Probably. Am I likely to be booked - not really. Is it unsafe - depends on the road & traffic conditions at the time, but mostly, it is not unsafe.

GTP006 - tongue was in cheek. I too have been flashed by a mobile van while they were taking a picture of the car in front of me speeding (about 18 months ago on the way to an FPV meeting, actually). The introduction of IR flash is about time.

Old 14-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, the detected speed tolerance in Vic is still 10%, the alleged speed is the fetected speed less 3 kmh, so it's all entirely legal and within ADRs... just morally wrong.