Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2017, 02:53 AM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ueli Steck- Alpine Climber Dead

Not sure if there are other climbers here- but the world just lost one of the BEST modern alpine climbers- Ueli Steck a Swiss climber.

He was in the Himalayas and was attempting a rare route up Mount Everest (only been done once before), then he was going to traverse straight over and climb Lhotse (another 8,000 metre peak) and bivy 1 night in the death zone, before attempting adescent, all without oxygen. This has never been done before- two 8,000 metre peaks in 1 push, and he did not know if it was humanely possible but he was going for it.

Unfortunately, he fell over 1,000 metres when climbing alone training in the early hours one morning around camp 2 of Everest acclimatising, and fellow climbers had to pick up his body parts scattered on the lower slopes.

He was an inspirational guy, climbed a new route solo with no oxygen up Annapurna (probably the most dangerous and difficult 8,000 metre mountain in the Himalayas), and did the North Face of the Eiger solo in about 2.5 hours ( takes normal climbers days and killed lots of people climbing it.)

Just goes to show even a superhuman like Ueli is mortal- and makes you realize- live for the moment and experience all you can of life like a sponge.

He was a one in a generation style climber, and brought Olympic games style physical training to mountaineering. Shame he died on a solo training peak- as it would have been interesting to see if a human could ascend two 8,000 metre peaks and then descend and live. Will now have to wait for someone else to find out.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 02-05-2017 at 03:00 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ueli Steck- Alpine Climber Dead

It's unfortunate that he died. I've never understood what makes people want to climb mountains.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
It's unfortunate that he died. I've never understood what makes people want to climb mountains.
One of the most famous quotes is "because it is there." But that really provides no explanation.

For me, when I see a rock face that is aesthetic and pleasing, it is a form that is exquisite and scary looking, I am drawn to it like a moth to a light, attracted and horrified, knowing I am in for an adventure of discovery of the rock, the environment, and discovery of my own abilities physical and mental, and know I will experience fear, exhilaration and a natural clean high through endorphins and adrenalin.

Mountaineering again pulls a climber, the beauty of the peak, the challenge of unknown, and that sensation of clear still weather and crisp powdered snow, and digging footholds in a slope on your own- clean air, your brain clean - you feel like you are flying in heaven. And then- when it goes wrong, well- that is when you truly find out who you are.

Lets put it in these terms:

You love high powered beautiful cars, cars that have an aggressive kick that can kill you, you see one on a track and the owner hands you the keys and says go for it. You have never driven such a powerful car with such set up but a sketchy nervy handling that kicks, and you do not know if you are up to it or what it will really really feel like to drive- what do you do- will you be drawn to it like a moth to a light- part excitement and part fear...and despite the risk you cannot not go for it.

You love surfing, you go to a point with a mate, and there are perfect 10 foot barrels clean and smooth pealing off a reef bottom. You have never surfed it, and no one else is surfing it and you do not know if it is possible, but it pulls you into it's soul- you cannot resist paddling out and sticking your whole into its jaws.

Same as a climber looking at a perfect exquisite peak....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 02-05-2017 at 02:25 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I started because I had a fear of heights!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
One of the most famous quotes is "because it is there." But that really provides no explanation.

For me, when I see a rock face that is aesthetic and pleasing, it is a form that is exquisite and scary looking, I am drawn to it like a moth to a light, attracted and horrified, knowing I am in for an adventure of discovery of the rock, the environment, and discovery of my own abilities physical and mental, and know I will experience fear, exhilaration and a natural clean high through endorphins and adrenalin.

Mountaineering again pulls a climber, the beauty of the peak, the challenge of unknown, and that sensation of clear still weather and crisp powdered snow, and digging footholds in a slope on your own- clean air, your brain clean - you feel like you are flying in heaven. And then- when it goes wrong, well- that is when you truly find out who you are.

Lets put it in these terms:

You love high powered beautiful cars, cars that have an aggressive kick that can kill you, you see one on a track and the owner hands you the keys and says go for it. You have never driven such a powerful car with such set up but a sketchy nervy handling that kicks, and you do not know if you are up to it or what it will really really feel like to drive- what do you do- will you be drawn to it like a moth to a light- part excitement and part fear...and despite the risk you cannot not go for it.

You love surfing, you go to a point with a mate, and there are perfect 10 foot barrels clean and smooth pealing off a reef bottom. You have never surfed it, and no one else is surfing it and you do not know if it is possible, but it pulls you into it's soul- you cannot resist paddling out and sticking your whole into its jaws.

Same as a climber looking at a perfect exquisite peak....
Ok, now I get it.
Good explanation.

Sometimes after our runs I get an adrenaline shake. Often hours afterwards.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: