Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #31
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Default Re: hot hatches - opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Interesting most people "having babies" would be trading in their hatches for something bigger.
OP also asked for a 5 seater....I'd definitely be trying out the back seats of some of the vehicles listed to see if they pass the definition of 5 'real' seats.

It may pass the wife test to see 5 belts but the reality of 5 in the car is somewhat different

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #32
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Don't go throwing all your money on a second hand performance Euro.

You're having a baby, that will swallow enough as it is.

Trust me, you will end up with a nightmare, might be great in the beginning but once you start having to get that serviced, not so great anymore. And your in Whyalla - be prepared to drive to Adelaide for every service.
You really need to know what you're getting into. Ask Audi what a new set of brake discs are worth for example - it's eye watering.
Simple coil packs can set you back $1500.

Get the RS and don't look back!
Get an RS3, enjoy it for a few months until it starts to go wrong and spend the next 3 years working out how to get out of the finance.

Or get an FPV sedan and have something designed and built for our country roads. Low km FG GT or FGX XR8. Room for two more kids. Cheap to run.

My 2c.
This, well said mate. We are about to have a baby and no way i would be selling a large sedan for a hatch

Put in a rear facing baby seat in a hatch and the passenger in the front will be having a horrible ride, literally bugger all room. Even in our Outlander with the rear seats pushed all the way back i dont sit comfortable in the front, so i just drive instead
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
I know we're not all the same but as a ex Falconista my only grudge with the Focus is I find it cramped across the cabin, left leg kinda rests against the console, more representative of what I'm used to than reality I think. And i'm not a big guy... If i was you I'd blow both ideas and grab a F6 sedan
It's not just you, I used to have the same problem with my wife's Titanium (compared to my Fiesta even) the front foot wells are cramped on the current Focus platform.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #34
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I say, the reasons for thinking about a hatch is cost saving in the context of fuel and rego, but I also just require enough space for a pram and baby seats. If we go away and need to take a heap of gear we have an SR5. I felt that getting a 5 seater 2nd hand F6 would just run up the costs too in terms of maintenance, for arguments sake, looking at $$ I spent on (required) maintenance on a 67000 km ute. But also the ANCAP ratings and equipment in a 3-5yr hatch.

Looking at the 2nd hand FPV market, I considered the value a high end hatch better value for money considering safety, comfort, power and equipment; but obviously open to interpretation and discussion hence posting here to see what other people thought.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #35
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

We went from a VE commodore to a territory, best move ever, a sedan is so low and headroom sucks when getting a kid into and out of a baby seat, try and get the kids out without whacking your head or theirs, the territory is great, I wouldn't go anything smaller for the main family car, pram in and out no worries, in the boot of a sedan is a pain, we have friends with hatch backs and the pram takes up the whole boot, I would go anything around the size of the territory, don't need to keep bending down to put kids in and out, heaps of room, go the drive ins and put the rear seat down and everyone has heaps of room to throw some blankets down and have a picnic in the back of the car etc and if this is the first kid you'll find things like that are much easier than trying to see a movie at the cinemas without a baby sitter, any large family SUV would fit the roll most likely, we had my father and brother in the back seat next the booster sit for my kid and everyone had room, also in smaller cars you sometimes can't fit more than two Child seats in the rear as they end up like both taking 25% of the middle seat up on each side.

Sent from my Blade S6 using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

Nah bloody well Stuff them bloody overpriced darn highfallutin European hatchus ya bloody well don't need nithin more than a beautdyful falcon wagon bloody carries the lot get it converted to gas and you'll be able ter tow a hole house behind ya stuff them bloody well sheeple buyin them bloody Euro turdbuckitz the second ya bloody hit a Roo the hole car will smash ter bits mate

all yer need. Bloody stupid sheeple buyin euro and killin falconz
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #37
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Nah bloody well Stuff them bloody overpriced darn highfallutin European hatchus ya bloody well don't need nithin more than a beautdyful falcon wagon bloody carries the lot get it converted to gas and you'll be able ter tow a hole house behind ya stuff them bloody well sheeple buyin them bloody Euro turdbuckitz the second ya bloody hit a Roo the hole car will smash ter bits mate

image all yer need. Bloody stupid sheeple buyin euro and killin falconz
I shouldnt laugh but i will im in the process of going back to a falcon purely for lifestyle. MY ST goes to its new home this week. You know im an avid fan of euro hatches. I know OP wants AWD but ill throw a vote in for the Focus ST

Sorry for the thread hi jack
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #38
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
As I say, the reasons for thinking about a hatch is cost saving in the context of fuel and rego, but I also just require enough space for a pram and baby seats. If we go away and need to take a heap of gear we have an SR5. I felt that getting a 5 seater 2nd hand F6 would just run up the costs too in terms of maintenance, for arguments sake, looking at $$ I spent on (required) maintenance on a 67000 km ute. But also the ANCAP ratings and equipment in a 3-5yr hatch.

Looking at the 2nd hand FPV market, I considered the value a high end hatch better value for money considering safety, comfort, power and equipment; but obviously open to interpretation and discussion hence posting here to see what other people thought.
Precisely why you don't want a Euro, they are money pits and it's the sole reason why people turn them over regularly.
I have only owned Volvos so I only see a small piece of the whole servicing game but that badge is damn expensive to carry around.
My rule of thumb with them is if you're going to plonk $120k on one you will need half that for again servicing if you want to keep it for 10 years. I had a roo recently break the glass in the right hand wing mirror. Get this, only the glass (mirror) needed replacing not the whole housing, motors etc were in perfect working order - the cost - $2000. The reason - the glass has a demister built in.

To your earlier question - yes Focus RS are made in Germany but have Ford pricing-servicing although it will still be relatively expensive to keep running because of what it is. Complex AWD, powerful donk etc.

So you may think diff bushes in an F6 are expensive but then think about a $2k mirror in an Audi for a comparison.
Falcons r cheap and go like stink for fun.

Honestly the FGX was the bargain of the century when new, now you can find low km versions on the 2nd hand market.
The cash you save on the purchase price alone will run the car for 10 years.

I'm not trying to put you off Audi/Merc/anyone else but you need to look at these Euros with your eyes wide open and understand the real cost of ownership.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #39
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I shouldnt laugh but i will im in the process of going back to a falcon purely for lifestyle. MY ST goes to its new home this week. You know im an avid fan of euro hatches. I know OP wants AWD but ill throw a vote in for the Focus ST

Sorry for the thread hi jack
Ur gonna have tee giv us the number for ya gay conversion therapist
Old 10-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Precisely why you don't want a Euro, they are money pits and it's the sole reason why people turn them over regularly.
I have only owned Volvos so I only see a small piece of the whole servicing game but that badge is damn expensive to carry around.
My rule of thumb with them is if you're going to plonk $120k on one you will need half that for again servicing if you want to keep it for 10 years. I had a roo recently break the glass in the right hand wing mirror. Get this, only the glass (mirror) needed replacing not the whole housing, motors etc were in perfect working order - the cost - $2000. The reason - the glass has a demister built in.

To your earlier question - yes Focus RS are made in Germany but have Ford pricing-servicing although it will still be relatively expensive to keep running because of what it is. Complex AWD, powerful donk etc.

So you may think diff bushes in an F6 are expensive but then think about a $2k mirror in an Audi for a comparison.
Falcons r cheap and go like stink for fun.

Honestly the FGX was the bargain of the century when new, now you can find low km versions on the 2nd hand market.
The cash you save on the purchase price alone will run the car for 10 years.

I'm not trying to put you off Audi/Merc/anyone else but you need to look at these Euros with your eyes wide open and understand the real cost of ownership.
Psst. It does not cost 6 grand a year on servicing for a brand new car that costs 120k....

The FGX was an engine with a poorly equipped car around it and a 15 year old 6 speed auto. Honestly to some, it doesn't represent good value, because it's equipped like a soviet Russian limo. This hysterical notion that some of you fearmongering falcon blokes peddle about euros costing 10k per service or (insert small part name here) is largely unfounded (well, for the more "accessible" European cars anyway). I've been through a few of them too.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

People hear horror stories of AMG/M et al cars, and there are some, but people buying second handies think they can run the gauntlet.

Some get lucky and have no issues, some go broke fixing them. Just got to find a loved one but even then anything can happen.

New is a different kettle of fish, warranty covers you early and from there you just need to be smart/religious about servicing/preventative maintenance.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #42
Sioso
irregular member

Well I've had my MK7 Golf R for almost 2 years, it was a nightmare to begin with - 8 months trying to get the infotainment screen fixed, if I could have sold it during those 8 months I would have.
Anyway, since getting that resolved it has been the best car I have ever owned.
It's been driven hard on tight twisty roads 5 days a week.
I have a 3 & 5 yr old so it has carseats in the back and despite how small it looks on the outside they have plenty of space in the back.
The only mods are a tune, intake, rotors, pads and lightweight rims.
A couple of weeks back I started my ascent of a local mountain road on the way home from work and happened upon the back of a 991 Carrera GTS PDK, being a mad Porsche fan since I was old enough to talk I reveled in the opportunity to watch and listen to the flat 6 for as long as possible.
Without going into detail or incriminating myself lets just say there was nothing between our cars, even as we came out onto the straights at the top of the mountain - I was stoked that my little Golf was able stay stuck to the back of this $300,000 car I have always dreamed of owning.
All the different settings (comfort, normal, race) really do change the experience when driving, they adjust the steering weight, shocks, throttle response and sound.
With nothing more than a tune you can have a car that will run 0-100 in 4.1 or 4.2 consistently in any conditions, and few extra $$$$ that will go down into the 3 second bracket.
I never usually keep a car for more than 2 years but I have no plans on selling it, I can't think of anything else I would rather be driving.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #43
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Without going into detail or incriminating myself lets just say there was nothing between our cars, even as we came out onto the straights at the top of the mountain - I was stoked that my little Golf was able stay stuck to the back of this $300,000 car I have always dreamed of owning.
I think you will find that driver abilities has a big thing to do with it as well.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #44
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I think you will find that driver abilities has a big thing to do with it as well.
I agree, and on a track where it can stay in the top of the rev range where it makes all it's power and torque it would be a different story, it was also more composed at high speed than my car.
The guy knew the road though, there are undulations on certain corners that will throw you off line, they require odd lines to avoid them and he knew where they were.
Power to weight is all that much different either:
Porsche, 316kw/440nm and 1445kg
Tuned Golf, 283kw/523nm and 1435kg

Anyway as I said I expected it to walk away and it didn't.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #45
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Psst. It does not cost 6 grand a year on servicing for a brand new car that costs 120k....

The FGX was an engine with a poorly equipped car around it and a 15 year old 6 speed auto. Honestly to some, it doesn't represent good value, because it's equipped like a soviet Russian limo. This hysterical notion that some of you fearmongering falcon blokes peddle about euros costing 10k per service or (insert small part name here) is largely unfounded (well, for the more "accessible" European cars anyway). I've been through a few of them too.
Might have been a bit of an exaggeration.... :P and for the first 6 or so years this is very true. Nothing went wrong, but then the brake discs needed doing and something else and something else. As I said a mirror can cost $2k.
But anyway mine is an S80 and far from a performance car and this is my point.
High performance top tier Euros are fantastic cars but they are also very highly strung. You need to have a bit of cash behind you for Justin_case.in a second hand scenario

I reckon the RS is a fantastic choice considering the financial limits and you get a brand new car with a warranty.
I guess the question is, is it suitable? Only raised by monkeys will know after driving one.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #46
.:4:.
Kicking back

Isn't it going to be the second car? Not the main family chariot? For stuff like daycare pickups on the way home from work and such so the ability to carry people on occasion isn't as important as the ability to give it a squirt on the lone trip to the shops when the wipes are running dangerously low.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #47
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For God sake, RBM, make sure your golf clubs fit in there ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #48
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Isn't it going to be the second car? Not the main family chariot? For stuff like daycare pickups on the way home from work and such so the ability to carry people on occasion isn't as important as the ability to give it a squirt on the lone trip to the shops when the wipes are running dangerously low.
That's right. My partners car will likely function as the main big rig, especially in the first couple of years considering she'll be on 12mths maternity, and then we'll likely have a 2nd baby. This will likely do pick ups and drop offs, getting me to work and picking up milk, and I guess small trips. SR5 for everything in between.

I don't think there's a car; personally, that can check all the boxes. But a near as possible is why I considered an RS. I will have to go look at one and decide for myself but a common dislike for them is the lack of rear space.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 11-04-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Haha his
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post