Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default I got owned by a 90 year old

So today after a birthday lunch for my older brother my son and brother coaxed my 90 year old grandpa into coming to the slot car track. He was happy to be a spectator but I wouldn't have that. We backed it down and only bought half an hours track time and I rented grandpa a car. I previously bought my brother a 67 Allan Moffat mercury cougar, my son has the 87 atcc winning jps bmw m3 and I have the 89 bathurst winning Johnson/bowe Sierra. Grandpa was in a well maintained rented 69 mustang trans am. To be fair us 3 younger ones did the running around if grandpa came off the track. My brother wasn't being too competitive. He was running consistent low 11s. My son was being super over cautious even though I tell him it's a learning car so it isn't precious, was low 12s. My brother swapped cars with my 7 year old and ran low 10s. Grandpa was conservative. Low 14s to high 13s. I was at 9.4 best but typically low 10s. After 30 minutes. My son racked up 94 laps. Myself 95. Grandpa 97. My brother wasn't being competitive so he doesn't count. I got owned by a 90 year old. My brother and I try to keep our ageing grandparents occupied and mentally stimulated without any physical stress, and while slot cars are extremely basic in operation it was something new to grandpa and he got the tutorial from a 7 year old and had a smile from the experience.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
MNTL.XD

Default Re: I got owned by a 90 year old

That's so cool, would've been pretty sweet to watch, hope grandpa had fun kicking ya butt. lol.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
MNTL.XD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTL.XD View Post
That's so cool, would've been pretty sweet to watch, hope grandpa had fun kicking ya butt. lol.

I'm going to call grandma tomorrow to make sure he isn't talking it up to the others in the retirement village. Next time the competition won't be so friendly.
Old 21-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
MNTL.XD

Hahahaha, would be great for him mentally though, he'll be dreaming about it tonight, reliving a bit of his youth.

MNTL.XD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once got owned by a parrot in a pet store at the Brickworks. There I was, strutting about in my twenty-something awesomeness trying to impress a girl, and this bastard parrot yells out "I can talk, can you fly?"

And you know what? I can't fly...and I reckon the feathered ***** knew that.

Should have said something about me not being in a cage, but wasn't sure if arguing with a parrot would have done me any favours, and to be honest was worried he was only just getting started and was sitting on even better material if I was silly enough to engage.

Got to know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em...and I reckon he always had my measure.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTL.XD View Post
Hahahaha, would be great for him mentally though, he'll be dreaming about it tonight, reliving a bit of his youth.

He retired in 86 and was a primary school principal so its not like his love of reading has not been stimulating, today was something new. My brother and I like to throw new things at my grandparents to change it up provided it's not physically draining. My brother and I adopted the hare technique and grandpa used the tortoise technique. My son was in the middle. Grandpa thought it was a joke when the track fly (bar fly version of a person who hangs at a slot car track) lifted his arm in triumph . I had to explain it and show grandpa the numbers . I got owned at my single handed game. I only discovered slot cars in the weeks I had off work when I knocked out a nerve that controls my left hand. As basic as it is it passed the time well. It set the challenge to better myself and I did track conditions permitting.