Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sick of GT fakes advertised as original.

Just keeping an eye out for any nice XR/XT/XW/XY GTs for sale at the market price and getting sick of fakes advertised as the real deal. Not untill you get to the end of the ad or call up/email that the truth comes out. Now I will go a fake but I will only pay the right price for one, lets say $10K for a "minter" not $50K for what is a Falcon 500 with some stripes (not interested in if has been overcapitalised on with a $20K paint job and a professional rebuild).

mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

Default Re: Sick of GT fakes advertised as original.

I think you may struggle getting a mint GT fake worth 10K. The sum of all the parts will be a lot more than that.

There should be some rule saying you need to indiate whether it's genuine or fake right at the start of the advertisement.
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Just keeping an eye out for any nice XR/XT/XW/XY GTs for sale at the market price and getting sick of fakes advertised as the real deal. Not untill you get to the end of the ad or call up/email that the truth comes out. Now I will go a fake but I will only pay the right price for one, lets say $10K for a "minter" not $50K for what is a Falcon 500 with some stripes (not interested in if has been overcapitalised on with a $20K paint job and a professional rebuild).
I can't say that I've seen one advertised as real when it's fake but I get what you mean when they think these replicas are worth 50K.

At the end of the day, if someone is silly enough to pay 50k for a fake anything, more fool them.

I love it when people think they can include the costs of the build in the price like they think they can get it all back.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You'll be lucky, a good copy will fetch much more than $10K...
my brother in law sold an Orange XY GT copy in 1990 and got $8K.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's true there are people out there misrepresenting GT falcons. It is getting harder to find a shmick one. I was looking at an XT GT for a clean 30 grand but it wasn't immaculate.

I got sick of looking and bought a BA MK2 GT that is the genuine article for less than the 30 i had to play with

I think you would be hard pressed to find an excellent example of a v8 falcon from xr to xy for under 10 grand
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens a lot on eBay...

In the heading you will see... XY GT...
not until do you read the blurb do you see "GT clone"

In the same way people put in... XY GT... may suit XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC buyers... or "NOT XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC"

gets rather annoying..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I understand where your coming from but you must realise it is simply a tool used to get you looking at their add.
Like an asterix and fine print at the bottom denouncing anything special.

At the end of the day you'd be mad not to get an independant inspection done to verify authenticity when spending big dollars on a collectors item, unless its a well known and documented example.

And i agree, you'd be lucky to get a test drive of a mock XY GT for 10k.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Its like old "Supacarz" that used to be here in Brisbane....they sold over 600 Phase 3 GTHOs of the 300 ever made!!!!
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes e bay should ban this practise soooo frustating
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
homegrown
hotshot

I think its more funny when everything on ebay is Rare or off a GT!
But like Bent 8 said. Its a tool and it gets your attention.

I dont see 10 k buying anything great these days either.
You might recall all the tough Fords you bought and sold for half that price years ago but it sjust something we have to accept I think.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
I can't say that I've seen one advertised as real when it's fake but I get what you mean when they think these replicas are worth 50K.

At the end of the day, if someone is silly enough to pay 50k for a fake anything, more fool them.

I love it when people think they can include the costs of the build in the price like they think they can get it all back.
Fake GT's are often the only way some people can get into a car like a GT and not pay the cost of a house for it. And while the cost might seem high, in my eyes if you're paying a premium for the badge when all you want is some V8 goodness, the 50k price tag for a GT faker is worth it in my opinion. That and the GT tragics won't hate on you if you chop it up and screw around and make it anything other than stock.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD-Bluey
Its like old "Supacarz" that used to be here in Brisbane....they sold over 600 Phase 3 GTHOs of the 300 ever made!!!!
Nothing new there either.

Any half decent establishment will have over 300 drunk experts telling stories of their genuine HO on a Friday/Saturday night.

"Yeah mate, i got a track red Phase free with the alloy spoiler, but i opted for the chrome 14" 12 slotters instead of the genuine Globes, its sick maaate..."
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Fake GT's are often the only way some people can get into a car like a GT and not pay the cost of a house for it. And while the cost might seem high, in my eyes if you're paying a premium for the badge when all you want is some V8 goodness, the 50k price tag for a GT faker is worth it in my opinion. That and the GT tragics won't hate on you if you chop it up and screw around and make it anything other than stock.
I'd rather buy an old XY 500 or Fairmont than a fake GT.

BUT; each to their own
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

It's all horses for courses. Some old blokes dream might have been all his life to own a GT. The real thing is out of reach so the faker ticks his box. Me, it's coupes all the way. XY's don't interest me.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can find a clone for 10k then i think we would all own one ....

Otherwise build one yourself then see the cost involved

Youll quickly find out that 30k for a mock up isnt all that bad

Try it and see ..... the hard way
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why don't you get a south african one??? they are going for around the 50k mark and are at least genuine.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
why don't you get a south african one??? they are going for around the 50k mark and are at least genuine.
Woah !

Stand by for the anti SA GT Police, your post will have just set off an alert in the upper echelons of there department.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Happens a lot on eBay...

In the heading you will see... XY GT...
not until do you read the blurb do you see "GT clone"

In the same way people put in... XY GT... may suit XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC buyers... or "NOT XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC"

gets rather annoying..
Agreed. Very annoying. I'm only really interested in XA to XC so to end up with other models come up in the search annoys me but it's just the vendor trying for maximum exposure for their ad. Can't begrudge them for that. I'd do the same.

On the other hand the misleading headings (as per the first example) drive me mad!! They should read "XY GT Clone/Fake/Replica/Tribute/Rebody" or whatever. At least the vendor will know that people viewing their ad with that type of heading will more likely be interested in their car.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Really don't get the OP...

If it's a 'real' GT - then it will be priced accordingly... You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that a Vermillion Fire 4spd Xy GT that is advertised for $40,000 is a replica... Otherwise it's the Cheapest XY GT on the market for the past 5 years...

And if you buy a replica for $10k... best of luck to you with that... I wouldn't get my fingerprints on that crime scene...

Work out what you want to spend... what you want... and buy the BEST car you can for your budget...
Old 13-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Really don't get the OP...

If it's a 'real' GT - then it will be priced accordingly... You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that a Vermillion Fire 4spd Xy GT that is advertised for $40,000 is a replica... Otherwise it's the Cheapest XY GT on the market for the past 5 years...

And if you buy a replica for $10k... best of luck to you with that... I wouldn't get my fingerprints on that crime scene...

Work out what you want to spend... what you want... and buy the BEST car you can for your budget...
Agree with that...Given the asking price of genuine GT's I think $40-50k for a good example replica is reasonable . Not sure if you'd get any model or condition XW/XY for $10k...maybe a rusted out ute in a barn
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
02_SVO
Listy

even if its a replica most, places still regard a replica as an investment. mate paid 30 for a unfinished one which when a good look over you can tell alot of money has already gone into the vehicle. considering a decent crate engine is fetching 15 to 20 grand and alot of copies are far exceeding these. 50k for a finished copy no problem. overcapitalise on a 500 but then even 500 are getting harder to get.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
RAPID_BA
Banned

these fake GT advertisers are cut from the same cloth as those who think a engine rebuild wipes all the km off.

they advertise with 50,000km but the car has 250,000km and they say since rebuild??? what about everything else.

Those GT fakes are trying to cash in. A guy i know spent about $60,000 on a old VN SS. he thinks its worth $60k as well. Ill give him about $7k for it.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I get where the OP is coming from on the advertisement, but your prices are about 10 to 15 years old. Today prices you'll get an XA/B GT 4 door for 30-50k depending on condition.

GTO132 I tried selling this for 10k and couldn't, so I swapped for a bike worth about 10K.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, it's annoying when it's not disclosed in the ad properly.

But seriously, $10K? Man I remember when I was 18 - 1996 - the good replicas were going for that much. I can't say I have seen prices like that for a while.

You're looking at least 3x that much for a decent one.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Gotta agree with most of the rest here in saying 10k wont get you anything decent in an XW or XY.

That will get you a starter package that needs 90% of the work done still..

Cost of building replicas is pretty high, you have your basic restoration on the car, then add all the GT bits you need.. Theres the not so cheap route of going with repo parts like 99% of the builders out there use, or the even dearer way of using genuine parts, when you can get them..
But once you sit down and tally up the cost of all the bits you need, you will be surprised.. You will easily throw down 10k just on getting an interiour that looks like a GT one to give an example.

If a genuine XY GT is your poison, then your choices are to pay around 100k for a decent one or around 50k for a decent South African one.
Theres cheaper ones around of both variants, but theres a reason their cheaper..
Pity your a month or two too late as I had my SA XY GT on the market for 50k.

I do find the way the reps and parts are advertised a bit annoying too, ebay is rife with it also when buying parts, every part seems to be a GT part.. But thats the way its done as the ad title works the way meta tags work on websites, the keywords of GT etc show up for search engines etc..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
FordFalconBF
2008 BF Futura

I'd rather SA GT.. at least it's real and with only a few minor changes it can look like a Aussie one.

Previous Cars:
2003 BA Falcon Wagon Dedicated LPG
1999 Ford Fairlane Ghia
XF Fairmont Ghia
Escort MK2 RS2000 Replica
FordFalconBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFairlaneAU
I'd rather SA GT.. at least it's real and with only a few minor changes it can look like a Aussie one.
Thats exactly what Im doing to mine to make it more to my liking. Just trying to find some decent seats now and then the interiour is virtually done..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Now I will go a fake but I will only pay the right price for one, lets say $10K for a "minter" not $50K for what is a Falcon 500 with some stripes (not interested in if has been overcapitalised on with a $20K paint job and a professional rebuild).
$10K for mint GT replica? Can you show me even just one that sold for that in the last 10 years?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #29
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
... may suit XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC buyers... or "NOT XR/XT/XY/XW/XA/XB/XC ..."

gets rather annoying..

Annoying? It S**TS me!

generic floor mats suit XK XL XM XP XR XT XW XY XA XB XC XD XE XF EA EB ED EF EL AU BA GT ESP TE50 TS50 TL50 GT-P !!!!!!!!!!

macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #30
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post