Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Isuzu MU-X vs Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Was wondering if anyone has owned with the MUX or Pajero Sport? We will be buying in the next month or so and I have read reviews, looked at video's, drove both and was interested in real world experience.

For me they are much the same, but different, their -/+'s equal to about the same overall score.

Keep in mind we are a family of 6, so the third row access/usability is actually pretty important.

The Everest and Fortuna both were ruled out because of the 3rd issues. Who ever designed the access for the 3rd row in the Everest needs to get out of the office more. The Fortuna's folding up is ridiculous.

So the MUX's positives are being rather simple, its 3rd row is much better than anything else in most segments.

MUX negatives, its an older design chassis (which is also a good thing from a reliability POV) and its interior is a bit dated.

The Paj Sport has a better ride, Mitsu did well to put the 8 Speed in which makes it much more liveable, the 4x4 system is pretty trick but the 3rd is not as big and the rear is stylised which restricts some vision for the victims in the 3rd row.

Fuel economy, turning circles etc are much of a muchness. Mitsu definitely has a better cabin and more tech. But is that more to fail down the track?

Looking to buy outright and hold for 5-10 years. Unless we have twins in the future we dont really need a bigger car (this wont be happening, snip is booked).

As far as looks go, I actually like the Sport but its not really a factor.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: If the last of the Territory's had a better 3rd row setup we would be getting that, but alas its not the case.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 29-03-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Isuzu MU-X vs Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

first off I haven't driven any,. and I believe that normally is the game changer.

Paj sport seems to have options and fuel economy I believe..
MUX has the rep for being solid and reliable.
Everest, from what i read will drive a lot better on the road.
Fortuna, I don't think has sold very well, I think the previously model would have done better here. the lift out seats seems to strike a negative with most people but for me having owned a Prado with the same design. it come in very handy when you only want one rear seat or none giving more boot space
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah Everest might be a better overall car, but the access into the third row involves stepping over the second row, it just doesnt fold out of the way enough.

I also struggle to see the value in the Everest over the Sport. Its the family bus so 90% of its driving is around town on highways etc.

Sport and MUX have 50/50 split 3rd row, Fortuna is odd. Apparently you can take one of the seats out if you want but thats a PIA so having them lay flat is a clear winner. You have to be a Toyota fan to justify the Fortuna.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 29-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the Toyota fans would probably spend more and get the Prado.
do you need to 4WD?
One I thought had a very good 3rd row was the Pathfinder.
But as you would know they went away from the Ladder Chassis platform making it a less robust vehicle. I kind of like them but they seem more of a people mover now than SUV
Old 29-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
And the Toyota fans would probably spend more and get the Prado.
do you need to 4WD?
One I thought had a very good 3rd row was the Pathfinder.
But as you would know they went away from the Ladder Chassis platform making it a less robust vehicle. I kind of like them but they seem more of a people mover now than SUV
Yes 4x4 is needed, we plan to start doing more road trips and camping etc as the kids are getting older.

The ol Citroen was/is great when they were little, but we want to get out and hit some tracks etc.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've come with the important issues:

1. rear cupholders? I didn't consider this with my last update, kids weren't happy and now there is no convenient location for their cups and more importantly the rubbish to go.

2. rear air con vents and controls? nothing worse than car sick kids due to lack of air down the back.
Old 29-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yes 4x4 is needed, we plan to start doing more road trips and camping etc as the kids are getting older.

The ol Citroen was/is great when they were little, but we want to get out and hit some tracks etc.
Funny provided we are not going on any overseas trips $$$ we will be selling our Prado in the next year. Ive done a couple of off road trips but it mostly gets my wife too & from work, carts visitors, and tows the boat.
The likely car will be a 2014/15 BMW X5 7 seater which is In the same price range as a new MUX / Paj sport
Old 29-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Cheech
HELL YES

Cant comment on the Paj, but as for the MUX......

Fuel economy is fantastic for a 2T 4WD. On a the 65 litre tank I've done Penrith to the Melbourne northern suburbs on one tank. 2 adult & 2 kids plus gear for a 2 week holiday in TAS. Around town I'm averaging 8.6 l/100klms. Towing a camper trailer it gets up to about 8.5l on the highway.

Mechanically they are very reliable. Engine if serviced correctly will just keep going. However, its probably one of the least technologically advanced diesel engines on sale today. But, it is a very under-stressed engine in that it's not trying to pump huge volumes of turbo boost to provide peak power figures.

Unfortunately major services every 40k are horrendous (around $900). Service intervals on pre-MY16 models are every 6 months.

At the end of the day its a no-frills 4WD, if you want better comfort, bells and whistles you need to look elsewhere.

PS. I recommend getting rubber mats that Isuzu sell instead of the carpet ones. Its much easier to just take them out and hose them after a camping trip.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had both for short stints

Wife loved the Pajero

I preferred the Isuzu, purely on ride, the Isuzu is a more commercial feel on the road

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yeah Everest might be a better overall car, but the access into the third row involves stepping over the second row, it just doesnt fold out of the way enough.
Everest 2nd row also slides forward once folded, no probs for anyone getting into mine.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
stavros68

I’ve got a D-MAX single cab 2016 , I’ve done about 230,000 being a courier , I service it myself every 10000 oil filter and full service every 20000 all filter and oil and check, economy wise it’s excellent as I’ve got a long range fuel tank 129lt get about 1500 give or take a few kms. Interior wise a bit spartan no flashy gadgets .
Highly recommended mines the 5 speed auto , the current has a 6 speed and better economy.
stavros68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #12
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the dmax myself, less crap in it to go wrong if your keeping it past the warranty period, once out of the warranty period get the 4jj tuned and have twice the hp.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #13
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the seatbelt in the middle seat on the Paj sport. It only has a gap of about 180-200mm between seatbelt buckles, my 9year old only just fit between them. It was a big reason why we didn’t get one.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
I've come with the important issues:

1. rear cupholders? I didn't consider this with my last update, kids weren't happy and now there is no convenient location for their cups and more importantly the rubbish to go.

2. rear air con vents and controls? nothing worse than car sick kids due to lack of air down the back.
Spot on, both options have those two features. Agreed AC in 3rd row is gold.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Funny provided we are not going on any overseas trips $$$ we will be selling our Prado in the next year. Ive done a couple of off road trips but it mostly gets my wife too & from work, carts visitors, and tows the boat.
The likely car will be a 2014/15 BMW X5 7 seater which is In the same price range as a new MUX / Paj sport
I have toyed with that, actually a Land Rover D4...but cant justify it (even though I love the look and features) over a near new car that really does 99% of the same stuff with a 5 year warranty.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
Cant comment on the Paj, but as for the MUX......

Fuel economy is fantastic for a 2T 4WD. On a the 65 litre tank I've done Penrith to the Melbourne northern suburbs on one tank. 2 adult & 2 kids plus gear for a 2 week holiday in TAS. Around town I'm averaging 8.6 l/100klms. Towing a camper trailer it gets up to about 8.5l on the highway.

Mechanically they are very reliable. Engine if serviced correctly will just keep going. However, its probably one of the least technologically advanced diesel engines on sale today. But, it is a very under-stressed engine in that it's not trying to pump huge volumes of turbo boost to provide peak power figures.

Unfortunately major services every 40k are horrendous (around $900). Service intervals on pre-MY16 models are every 6 months.

At the end of the day its a no-frills 4WD, if you want better comfort, bells and whistles you need to look elsewhere.

PS. I recommend getting rubber mats that Isuzu sell instead of the carpet ones. Its much easier to just take them out and hose them after a camping trip.
That pretty much nails it, we are looking at MY17> which apparently has better NVH but even driving a MY18 its still pretty rough.

But...definitely an honest no frills car..which with 4 kids <11 kind of fits the bill as much as Id like something a bit more fancy.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Check the seatbelt in the middle seat on the Paj sport. It only has a gap of about 180-200mm between seatbelt buckles, my 9year old only just fit between them. It was a big reason why we didn’t get one.
Didnt notice that one, but did notice that the 2nd row in the Mistu doesnt have ISO...WTF these days, child seat goes up to the roof near the 3rd row...big negative.

But we roll with one of the 50/50 in the 3rd row down, so we can make sure the strap goes over the vacant seat. Still...a bit annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Had both for short stints

Wife loved the Pajero

I preferred the Isuzu, purely on ride, the Isuzu is a more commercial feel on the road
Sums it up for me, Paj is a little jittery IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST
Everest 2nd row also slides forward once folded, no probs for anyone getting into mine.
Well bugger, the sales person certainly did see how much we needed the 3rd row if it actually functions the same as the others. I may have to check that again.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 31-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you look at some online comparisons the PS seems to be the better vehicle. Apparently the full sized Pajero is not going to be replaced. Wonder what they will replace it with? Or will they put a larger engine in the Sport and upp the towing to 3.5t.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’d try to stretch to the Everest. It is the best car in segment by far.

If you’re looking at MUX/Pajero Sport money I’d get a Trailblazer, drives a lot better than the MUX, better interior, more grunt, bigger fuel tank and better high beam.

Still I’d try to get an Everest, even if it’s used.

Probably need to work out what you want in terms of off-road ability and what you will put up with. Nothing worse than spending a lot of money on something that you will keep for a long time that will feel like a POS every day.

Last edited by Brazen; 31-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post