Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Personal milestone

Just clocked the 10 years in my industry, 10 years with the same employer. Got taken out for a nice lunch no expense spared. Pretty happy with that. I was given an envelope too, and it wasn't termination papers. The thing is I'm still actually happy with my job. I have some very good repeat clients who I have had for long enough for them to treat me as a friend, and I do also. There have been numerous work collegues in the past (all gone now) who used to call me and whinge about management when they made a blue and got berrated. I learnt early on in the piece that you don't get your **** handed to you if you don't **** up. Pretty simple. I take any criticism as constructive criticism. It only happens once a year, on the odd occasion twice, but the company management, like I do, use it positively to work out a solution, as opposed to people who take a negative approach to any form of criticism. The last guy to crack the ton only got there in his notice period, because it was once a month that he made a blue, and unfortunately I was the fixer, his miss truths about what the problem was made my job harder to smooth things over. Is it strange that I have job satisfaction after so long? Don't get me wrong an 8 hour day means 8 hours of work, which is why many don't last long. 30 minute lunch means 30 minutes in my book, and if I am lucky enough to take it I usually spend the time on the phone organising the next job... even still, I wouldn't have it any other way.. pays the mortgage too, what a bonus
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Personal milestone

Nicely written and congratulations.

Here's to another 10 years.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Thanks mate, injury wise I have only been knocked out twice due to other trades ignorance and had my right index finger somewhat rebuilt once (the first and last time I wore gloves when the big safety initiative made you wear them for mediocre tasks, they make your hands smell like your feet, and you can't see any cuts, which get infected by all the sweat and stuff if you don't know you are cut ). The finger still doesn't point as well as it did back in 13, but I'm left handed so its no big deal. The sour point in my job which made me consider leaving, was seeing a man who I had spoken to half an hour earlier being stretchered away with 95% 3rd degree burns. He died 95 days later. In my opinion it was ohs getting in the way of common sense, but it made me more careful.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
sr71

Well done Mate. Congratulations.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I just racked up 10 years in my job as well. Good stuff mate, I love my job as well, it's a good feeling.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Congratulations and may work be good to you. Not like my last job, where at 10 years you were treated as a liability as the boss was afraid you would take long service leave, where the boss cut out the xmas bonus once the original owner stepped down but didnt bother to tell you it wasnt going to be there, where the boss would say he would back you to the hilt.. that was so you knew how far he was going to stick the knife in and it just got worse. Best thing I did was walk away after almost 20 years and now after 5 years of getting spoilt with about 1 long day a week and a saturday O/T about every 6 months and a company ute to bring home I am starting to enjoy work again. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
Nicely written and congratulations.

Here's to another 10 years.
Good work champ, not many last that long. In a lighter note have you learnt how to do it yet LOL, just jokeing. Good to see some ling termers are still around :-)
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Well done on 10 years
Old 31-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Good work champ, not many last that long. In a lighter note have you learnt how to do it yet LOL, just jokeing. Good to see some ling termers are still around :-)
I've only had two jobs since leaving High School, so yeah, I think I've learnt something (could also be damn lucky!!)

Left School end of 78 - Australian Navy 1980 - 2000 and then Power Industry 2000 to now.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

I will have 10 years up in 3 weeks time, (power line work) . not planning on moving anywhere soon.

9 years in my last job (my own business) and nearly 11 years in the job before that.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...truly congrats on 10 years..these days that is a genuine milestone..My first job was in the hospitality industry exactly eight years...then a golf greenkeeper for eight and a half years and had a crack at running my own garden care business along with a Telstra grounds maintenance contract for nearly three years. after that .Clocked up 20 years last November working as an EFA (Education Facility Attendant) for Tasmanian Government. In that time we've had to fight three times for a Job Security agreement..Current one concludes in September 2018...Ten years in many jobs is going to get harder to achieve..tell you what too...Zero years is the new normal in the Australian car manufacturing industry and many of the Ford , GMH and Toyota workers with long terms of employment will finish ..I feel for every single one of them..Once again congrats on ten years..Awesome...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post