Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Setting off Bank Alarm

So I'm pretty sure I managed to set off the alarm at my local Commbank today.

I'll start off by saying I work in retail, and on Friday someone either left their card or handed one in to my store. Usually when this happens, someone will call up to ask or come back looking for it.

As of today this still hadn't happened, so I thought the right thing to do was to drop it in to the bank that the card belongs to? as I have done before.

When my shift finished today, I took the card with me to drop it in to the bank (thinking they closed at 5pm not 4pm), so when I got there they were closed.

However, in the front part of the bank they have the ATM's. As I was in there, just as I turned around after noticing it was shut, their alarm went off.
Now I can only think that this is because the card must have been reported as lost or stolen?

Naturally I then searched a contact number for commonwealth bank to say a card was handed in. The service rep attempted to contact the owner to no avail so then cancelled the card, and I have cut it up.

Now the bit that bums me out is that the service rep couldn't tell me why the alarm went off as the cards status is private information.

So I am now thinking that I will have to go back to the bank to say I was trying to hand it in and didn't steal it? Has this happened to anyone else here, and if so what's the go?

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Setting off Bank Alarm

Quick man you need a disguise before the black helicopters come for you, I have one of these masks:

Works every single time
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I'd forget it... You're already done more than most people would.. And haven't broken any laws.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I'd forget it... You're already done more than most people would.. And haven't broken any laws.
I was thinking that, but wouldn't want to be getting blamed if it had any purchases made on it before it was handed in?
In the future I think I'll just be calling the bank instead.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Old 18-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Like all lost property found just hand it into your closest police station!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You did nothing wrong, don't sweat
Old 18-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 GHIA View Post
I was thinking that, but wouldn't want to be getting blamed if it had any purchases made on it before it was handed in?
In the future I think I'll just be calling the bank instead.
Well you have a legitimate reason for having the card (legal defence right there) and then they'd have to actually prove it was you who used the card if by chance it was used unlawfully at some point after it was lost by it's owner.

Also there's no sensors or anything that a lost/stolen card would trigger and even so they wouldn't set the alarm for the bank off! In the banks eyes - if someone reports a card missing, they cancel it and that's that.

The alarm was probably an employee leaving for the evening who set the alarm but didn't get out in time or left an alarmed internal door open when they tried to set the alarm.

I wouldn't sweat at all mate.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Well you have a legitimate reason for having the card (legal defence right there) and then they'd have to actually prove it was you who used the card if by chance it was used unlawfully at some point after it was lost by it's owner.

Also there's no sensors or anything that a lost/stolen card would trigger and even so they wouldn't set the alarm for the bank off! In the banks eyes - if someone reports a card missing, they cancel it and that's that.

The alarm was probably an employee leaving for the evening who set the alarm but didn't get out in time or left an alarmed internal door open when they tried to set the alarm.

I wouldn't sweat at all mate.
Ah ok. I have no clue what kind of security they would have at banks, honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was something along the lines of a more powerful paypass sensor that could identify cards near ATM's.

I'll just take it as being a coincidence.Would have been about 4.30 when I was there and 30min after closing sounds about right for staff to be leaving.

Cheers for the responses.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Old 18-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

It's ok. We'll come and visit you...........
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

How exactly do you think this alarm went off? Do you think the bank somehow had sensors that read missing the card in your pocket?

Not a chance.

I think the alarm going off and you being there with the card was a total coincidence.

Next time, perhaps just pop the card in an envelope and write on it that it was found. Slide it under the door. That way you are doing your bit and there is nothing to lead back to you.

You did more than you had to - and more than most would have.

A mate lost his wallet and it was handed in to the local cop shop intact. 4 days later they decided to chase him up. By then he had cancelled everything...

Same thing happened to my wife... left her purse on the church pew and she needed to put 2 and 2 together to work out it was there after 3 days and she made contact with the Padre. When she questioned why he didn't take it upon himself to contact her (they were well known to each other and had each others phone numbers) he just assumed she knew it was there and she would eventually come get it...

Some people.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post