Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default lights behind clock/trip computer/climate control and buttons on fairmont dash...

does anybody know what lights are used to light up the clock and the buttons surrounding the trip computer and climate control behind the wood bit on the dash? and also, do the LCD displays have their own lights built in or are the lighting units separate and easy to replace?

and if you do, how do you get it off :

secondly, on the main dash part, what lights are used behind the TC, aerial, door lock and other button/s? and how do you remove that bit :

Old 29-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have they died ... or you just want to change colour???

The ones behind the dash buttons are a part of the switch, etc.
The LCD I think are similar to the ones in the cluster and are like an LED. But not 100% sure on that.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

check here... info on globes and remove/replace

http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Have they died ... or you just want to change colour???

The ones behind the dash buttons are a part of the switch, etc.
The LCD I think are similar to the ones in the cluster and are like an LED. But not 100% sure on that.
change colour yeah... everything is still in working order, touch wood.
Old 29-04-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
check here... info on globes and remove/replace

http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/
cheers. would be nice if they specified the exact bulbs that were used.... instead of just 'xenon discharge' yada yada. sounds pricey :
Old 29-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

And you wanna do the conversion yourself, GOOD LUCK, anyways I have a full set of BLUE led globes that have been converted to suit your dash, but somehow I think you might stuff up the install. Maybe ask if DAD can help. :thebirds:

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
And you wanna do the conversion yourself, GOOD LUCK, anyways I have a full set of BLUE led globes that have been converted to suit your dash, but somehow I think you might stuff up the install. Maybe ask if DAD can help. :thebirds:

Mick
: you old folks should just give up already. this is the age of technology. i know what i'm doing :nutsycuck

eh, i just went and ripped apart my dash... looks a piece of cake actually. basically just swapping globes, if i can buy premade blue ones.

they are these little globes. the ones for the screens are like the ones behind the dash but with a green back... the ones for the button are the same, but with a black back and a blue sleeve over the globe to make the light 'white'

and the lights behind the tc controller etc are really weird... hmmmm.

anyboy know what shop might sell these globes IN BLUE? Jaycar maybe?
Old 29-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

You can buy "rubber socks" that go over your existing globes in different colours but I'm not sure if it will be the rite light you are looking for, best chance is to do the led conversion on your original globe holders. Go to aufalcon.com and in the garage section there's a full tutorial or ask JC. I've had mine in for over a year and work fine.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
You can buy "rubber socks" that go over your existing globes in different colours but I'm not sure if it will be the rite light you are looking for, best chance is to do the led conversion on your original globe holders. Go to aufalcon.com and in the garage section there's a full tutorial or ask JC. I've had mine in for over a year and work fine.

Mick
those silicon things are rubbish. and some of the lights already have the silicon condoms on them anyway, to make the light white, instead of the yellow that is it. looks like im gonna have to do the LED conversion....

not sure what to do about the lights behind the tc/door lock buttons etc. i might just go and pull em out and go to some car shops and see what they have got.