Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #31
fordman7171
Starter Motor

Default Re: Tickford Plastic Engine Cover (XR8)

Are they missing or just broken, and how much you want for it?
fordman7171 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #32
1974XBGS
Starter Motor

It’s not for sale, I was just posting that I was lucky enough to have just found and bought one.
1974XBGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
1974XBGS
Starter Motor

They are getting harder to find, and so, more expensive.
The other night, there was one in Ballarat on eBay, that went for $415 plus $25 postage.
1974XBGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #34
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are definitely getting harder to find. They are plastic and can be brittle with age/heat so mounting points break and then broken ones get thrown away (although 9/10 times are repairable).

As AU owners, we have to get in the habit of repairing things and not expecting to find mint examples, due to the age of these cars now. We can't keep throwing out parts because they're broken.

I did happen to find a mint cover recently, removed from a 10,000KM car and kept indoors since new almost. I didn't hesitate to ask $350 for it as it didn't have a mark on it.

Instead, I picked up an "average" cover with two broken mounts for $100 and repaired both mounts.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare to offer for sale. But keep looking and don't discount damaged/broken ones, they can be repaired and colour matched for repainting if needed.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #35
dwnsnow

Hi macman and pointers on how you repaired the mounting tabs
dwnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #36
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's not pretty from the underside, but it's functional and means an otherwise "unusable" engine cover, becomes usable again. Not visible once fitted.

The long mounting point which attaches to the throttle body was snapped off cleanly so I drilled four small holes and "threaded" it back into place with some fine steel wire, almost like two staples, twisted the wire tight to pull it all together. I could have used a touch of tough glue like Araldite too but wasn't necessary.

One of the short tabs that attaches to the alternator bracket was 80% missing, just small stubs left of it so I did the same, drilled two small holes and threaded steel wire through both but this time made a loop in the centre which the bolt could go through.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #37
UTXR8

do these engine covers need rubber grommets?....if so, how many and are the available?
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #38
Dingo
Ford T3 Partsologist

i think there is 1 that goes on the rear mount, i have these grommets for the T3's as they use 2 of them

2002 Blueprint T3 TE50 Manual Koni Suspension # 161

T-Series Club of Australia - www.tseriesclub.org

Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #39
Pis-ton broke
Banned

ive just brought an au series 1 xr8, is this model supposed to have a plastic engine cover?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #40
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
ive just brought an au series 1 xr8, is this model supposed to have a plastic engine cover?
AU series 1 had no engine cover.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: