Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Question Should ADRs be abolished for imported vehicles?

Now that Australia no longer manufactures cars, it would make sense to use the design rules of the EU. That would stop the unnecessary costs associated with designing unique cars for the Australian market.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto

Last edited by Syndrome; 19-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: Should ADRs be abolished for imported vehicles?

I don't know man. A lot of people are dying from toxic diesel fumes in European cities.

I love European culture but Europe is a very different place to Australia. Maybe there is a good reason to stick with ADRs. I know that Australian cars have very good headlamps compared to European cars... wouldn't want to copy Euros in that regard as an example.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Now that Australia no longer manufactures vehicles, it would make sense to use the design rules of the EU. That would stop the unnecessary cost associated with designing unique vehicles for the Australian market.
EU, Then we can bring more of those single back wheeled motorhomes ready to roll over if they blow a rear tyre.
We could have organic Mercedes wiring looms, Renault and Citroen reliability. Just saying.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Now that Australia no longer manufactures cars, it would make sense to use the design rules of the EU. That would stop the unnecessary costs associated with designing unique cars for the Australian market.

Still makes sense to have ADR rather than the EU crappy standards.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

No.

There still needs to be a standard for cars sold here, but some of the requirements could be adjusted.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
hayseed

Quote:
We'd end up a dumping ground for their second hand Crap...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Many of the ADR's are already 'harmonised' with the with United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) regulations.

It has been a long term Australian Government policy to align the national standards for road vehicles in Australia with EU regulations.
This has been happening since the year 2000.

Australia has acceded to two United Nations Agreements that deal with UNECE regulations.
These are the 1958 Agreement and the 1998 Agreement.
Australia has applied 29 regulations and will likely apply more in the future.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 10:37 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

really? there is nothing special about Australia (in terms of cars and driving), and nothing unique about any ADR as far as I'm aware that justifies its existence any longer.

you know right, that we could bring in Focus and Mondeo exactly as homologated for the UK, without spending a single cent in re homologating to ADRs if they just changed the rules like NZ did.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 10:54 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
really? there is nothing special about Australia (in terms of cars and driving), and nothing unique about any ADR as far as I'm aware that justifies its existence any longer.

you know right, that we could bring in Focus and Mondeo exactly as homologated for the UK, without spending a single cent in re homologating to ADRs if they just changed the rules like NZ did.
Actually there is, and as silly and as obvious as this may sound, a regulation contained in the ADR is that a vehicle under 30 years old (and used for transporting people) must be Right-Hand Drive.

All of Europe with the exception of Great Britian are of course all LHD countries.

If you abolish the ADR's, then what is to stop new LHD vehicles being imported privately into Australia from the EU?
Old 20-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Actually there is, and as silly and as obvious as this may sound, a regulation contained in the ADR is that a vehicle under 30 years old (and used for transporting people) must be Right-Hand Drive.

All of Europe with the exception of Great Britian are of course all LHD countries.

If you abolish the ADR's, then what is to stop new LHD vehicles being imported privately into Australia from the EU?
That's easily fixed, just leave the one ADR stating any brand new or under 30 year old vehicle that is intended to be registered for our roads is RHD.

However I'm led to believe the cost of compliancing a vehicle is very expensive here and variants of the same model are independently certified. Maybe this can be streamlined.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
Trevor 57
is now there

Definitely not, our cars are among the safest in the world, the car design and safety features, some of which are mandated in the ADR's play a major role in the reduction of the road toll

I can't believe anyone would want to reduce the standards
Old 20-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

it's not about reducing the standards, just harmonising and reducing duplication. What makes you think ADRs are any stricter than ECE regs?

here's a challenge: find me one ADR that mandates anything that is not covered by an ECE Reg.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Hi. I dont think that is a "Design' rule but an infrastructure (import) rule. Design rules deal with current design of vehicles to relevant safety and environmental standards. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
...here's a challenge: find me one ADR that mandates anything that is not covered by an ECE Reg.
Not at all a criticism of your challenge; you remind me of when Isofix kiddie seats were technically illegal to use here as they were not within the scope of ADRs.

Result of that? Effectively pointless modifications to many imported Euros pre-sale, to accommodate the ADR restraint fixing points; the requirement of "Australia Only" spare parts listings for stuff like parcel shelves with cutouts for the fixing points, cockamamie brackets to hold anchors that Blind Freddie could see were understrength compared to Isofix.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as an example - Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 3/04 – Seats and Seat Anchorages) 2017 contains in it the text:
Quote:
7. ALTERNATIVE STANDARDS

7.1. The technical requirements of the United Nations Regulation No. 17 - UNIFORM PROVISIONS CONCERNING THE APPROVAL OF VEHICLES WITH REGARD TO THE SEATS, THEIR ANCHORAGES AND ANY HEAD RESTRAINTS, incorporating the 08 series of amendments, are deemed to be equivalent to the technical requirements of this standard
what value does the ADR actually add, if itself it claims the ECE is equivalent?
Old 20-02-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
it's not about reducing the standards, just harmonising and reducing duplication. What makes you think ADRs are any stricter than ECE regs?

here's a challenge: find me one ADR that mandates anything that is not covered by an ECE Reg.
Why is it that some, even more recent 4wd's with spare wheels attached against the rear door, need fabricated bumpers with the lights lower down, and the regular lights are disconnected. Presumably because of the spare wheel fitted impeding visibility of the regular lights at certain angles. I assume this would be caused by an ADR requirement which conflicts with the requirements when that vehicle was designed overseas.

Personally I believe the lights lower down in the fabricated bumper results in a less safe situation because of the lights being moved well away from the regular lights, are then not in the line of sight for the following driver who is also expecting the other lights to function when braking or turning.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #17
Sioso
irregular member

If it meant I could register an ATV on the road like in some euro countries I'd be all for it.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ADR that governs the position and visibility of lighting is 49/00. It states that ECE reg7 is an acceptable alternative standard.

next?
Old 20-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #19
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by the way, you can find all ADRs here https://www.legislation.gov.au/Brows...72/0/principal
Old 20-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:

Im pretty sure they are trying to push a new law stating that if a vehicle was manufactured with fewer than 300 units then we can rego them here in SA. I cant find the info i had but its in my emails somewhere.
Old 20-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
Definitely not, our cars are among the safest in the world, the car design and safety features, some of which are mandated in the ADR's play a major role in the reduction of the road toll

I can't believe anyone would want to reduce the standards

So you say cars made in the EU (Germany, France, Italy etc) are substandard because they do not meet ADR?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Why is it that some, even more recent 4wd's with spare wheels attached against the rear door, need fabricated bumpers with the lights lower down, and the regular lights are disconnected. Presumably because of the spare wheel fitted impeding visibility of the regular lights at certain angles. I assume this would be caused by an ADR requirement which conflicts with the requirements when that vehicle was designed overseas.

Personally I believe the lights lower down in the fabricated bumper results in a less safe situation because of the lights being moved well away from the regular lights, are then not in the line of sight for the following driver who is also expecting the other lights to function when braking or turning.
because the dumba55 ADR required seeing the tail lights at a 45 degree angle,
imports couldn't guarantee that wiith spare tyre in place, hence lower light bar.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

What about the child seat belt thingy......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

ESC mandatory on all cars
Old 20-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian Design Rule 88/00 – Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Systems states ECE R140 and R8 are equivalent
Old 20-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #26
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just floating this out there, before I bought my Renault Trafic Crew van I found that Ford UK offer a similar 5/6 seater Tansit Custom with fixed rear bulkhead, wing rear doors, 125kW engine, auto, rear a/c...you get my drift. Now obviously Ford Australia don't import it and apart from very specific parts for this UK Transit Custom "Double Cab in Van" everything else is used on the local Transit Custom while the engine is used in the Transit cargo so parts are stocked here already.

Why can't I import this without any extra fee or levy or duty because Ford Australia choose not to import it however spares etc are already available here apart from rear seats and bulkhead?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

The way I see it, the benefits of going ECE out weigh the negatives. Emission regs are a year or so ahead of Australia.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So you say cars made in the EU (Germany, France, Italy etc) are substandard because they do not meet ADR?
it would be nice if you stopped trying to wind people up.

This may come as a surprise but the EU isn't the only place that cars are made and nowhere was the EU mentioned in Big Trev's post!
Old 20-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I say we drop the ADR's but accept any Japanese, American and European design regulations, as long as the car conforms to one of those then it can be registered in our market - reduce red tape so we reduce costs of bringing cars to our market.

It doesn't make sense to me you can drive a 30 year old LHD vehicle, but not a new one?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #30
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Playing the Devil's Advocate here....

What if we were to drop the ADR's, then sometime in the future, someone decides to start manufacturing cars here again? (Electric cars or small scale low volume production types).

Also, we still have HSV, that consider themselves a vehicle manufacturer, maybe not in the 'manufacturing from scratch' truest sense, but nevertheless a car maker.