Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default defect questions

hi

may as well ask here what would have been likely reason why this car https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...48954875314019 got a defect sticker when it seems to look ok, what hidden possibilities would there be, is it possible for newer cars that are newer than a ba/bf to get a defect. do yous recon the owner might have been a hoon and police were looking for something to pick up, other thing can think of is it couldve had a broken tail light lens,

there was a blue ba on highway patrol that got a defect for a broken tail light lense

there is a vt on marketplace that got a defect for a airbag light and loose steering wheel cover

and there was a ef in adelaide about 6 months ago that got a major defect for just a oil stain on rocker cover from spilt oil and was cleaned up and a stain left

and there was a lancer in sa that got a defect and tyres didnt look good and thinking thats probably why and also belts squeeled too and the front bumper was broken and the people havent cleared the defect. would yous think itd be major or minor defect

whats usually reasons why other nice looking cars get a defect. one example is last year there was a el at upullit that had a defect sticker and it didnt look like it had anything major wrong, what would it have possibly been

also wouldnt think faded paint or different colour panels would be a problem if theres no sharp bits and lights worked.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: defect questions

the link is broken, but rules vary state to state, In Vic you can get a canary for an empty washer bottle

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

I cant view the link, but you can get defected for a multitude of reasons. Ive avoided this one by ommitting the fact when asked how fast i was going because the speedo in the car i was driving didnt work. I didnt get pulled up for speeding but the question was asked, and thats a defect. I have earned a canary for too loud, too low, no reverse lockout on an auto shifter, unboxed air filter, tyres and the list goes on. 9 defects i earned in 1 roadside stop and the lack of speedo and locked diff they missed. The car in question didnt look bad at all and it wasnt in bad nick at all, but it was the stuff the officer found with his fine tooth comb that he went for. To be fair the officer was really polite about it and was doing his job, and a $90 fine and $30 inspection sign off from a dodgey mechanic had the thing back on the road with no rectifications.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about if car looks rough as but drives great and suspensions good and theres no sharp bits

why dont owners usually fix the cars when they get defected wether minor or major
Old 28-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and is it only major that goes to regency
Old 28-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

I was driving a skid pig, yeah i knew of the defficiancys but it always passed rego and was a nice enough car. Sketchy looking cars the mechanics doing the inspections look further into and if all is good then all is good, but in the same token, on a nice car, in my case it was a car with an engineering cert for the engine transplant, for some reason they put the emerald glasses on and dont notice some things and just enjoy the test drive. Basic stuff like tyres never goes un noticed. Same with leaky motors or trans or diffs. But too loud provided its not rediculous goes under the radar, same as too low if its not nuts, just boarderline. Im not saying push the law at all, both my cars are completly legal. The car i speak of the rego expired 15 years ago and has been scrapped. Its a thin line to walk on knowing the car you drive isnt 100% legal and trying not to draw attention to yourself. Atleast that thing was emissions compliant. The cat was just before the muffler which dumped just behind the cab.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about if car looks rough as but drives great and suspensions good and theres no sharp bits

why dont owners usually fix the cars when they get defected wether minor or major
Old 28-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate we know who you are and our best advice to you young man is "leave it well alone, dont touch it, dont even talk to the owner about it, walk away and be safe that it never cost you a thing".

Without being rude you could easily be setup and then have a load of crap in your ownership.

Comprehendie.... pm me if you want further advice.
Old 28-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy an AU and be done with it. Forget E series falcons and VT commos.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you even think about driving a car that can't be insured? That's just asking for trouble, and a lifelong debt.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #11
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I second the notion of getting an AU. If you don't know how to swing a spanner, that's the Falcon you want.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
...whats usually reasons why other nice looking cars get a defect.

Attitude.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #13
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was only wondering why those sort of cars get a defect and sent the one from whyalla to see so yous can give a rough idea of likely reasons
Old 28-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #14
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I gave you a pretty good idea of what to look for in your other thread which started about ba ghia headlights.
Old 29-01-2019, 12:00 AM   #15
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I gave you a pretty good idea of what to look for in your other thread which started about ba ghia headlights.
all good
Old 29-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was only wondering why those sort of cars get a defect and sent the one from whyalla to see so yous can give a rough idea of likely reasons
A lot of the time, the car & owner are "well known to police" for behaving like dicks on the road. Consequently, the car becomes a target for the local police & eventually the owner moves on to another vehicle.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and is it only major that goes to regency

The defect notice will tell the owner if the issue needs to be signed off once it has been resolved.

My wife was pulled over 2 weeks ago and the Territory was defected for a blown brake light. This needed to be fixed ASAP but no further action required.
Had there been more to address a visit to the local copshop should have been enough to get the defect notice removed.
And if I had not fixed the light and she was pulled over again the following day, I would imagine things would have escalated. Lucky I hold spares for these things at home.

Was pretty annoyed to hear she was also tested for drink and drug use on the side of the busy road in the middle of her Tuesday morning run.

And also annoyed that I always see cars driving around looking like they have just been driven from Row 3 of the local Upullit with faulty headlights, brakelights, etc. Maybe those vehicles are too hard to deal with. You'd need an hour to work through a car ticking off everything that did / did not operate properly.....much easier to pick on the clean car with a dodgy globe.

The Terry is a clean, tidy and stock vehicle. I'm not pleased that a defect notice was required when a tap on the window and a quick word would have been enough. My police friend thought it was unneccesary also.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about cars that look so rough but run fine and all lights work and don’t have sharp bits poking out and no broken panels
Old 29-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Looking rough and scan excuse for being pulled over, there may end up being nothing wrong but it would get annoying if it was a regular occurrence

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What about cars that look so rough but run fine and all lights work and don’t have sharp bits poking out and no broken panels
Can you just clarify the sharp bits poking out means bud.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #21
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In SA a cop can issue a Regency Park defect for more of less anything he likes & quite often will if the driver fails the "attitude" test.
All he needs to write is that in his opinion the car is too loud or the seat belt doesn't retract fast enough
or a choice of thousands of other creative statements, then he defects it to be checked by someone more qualified than himself.

They write their own rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
the link is broken, but rules vary state to state, In Vic you can get a canary for an empty washer bottle
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I messaged the owner of the Ghia yesterday to ask about buying a few interior parts for my car and he still hasn't got back to me. Not exactly motivated to sell.
Old 29-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just curious, is a SA "Regency Park Defect" like a 1990s NSW RTA "Lidcombe vehicle check" ? Don 't know never lived in SA.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 01:41 PM   #24
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Regency Park is the inspection station. They have various different machines for testing the vehicles.
Old 29-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Ta Junkyard,
yeah sounds similar to where I was sent in Sydney back then.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are so many things that you can't see that could be wrong.
Frayed seat belt, horn not working, pedals missing rubbers, oil leaks, wiring hanging down under dash, battery not secured, tyres worn on the inside, seat not bolted down properly (worn out bolts or the back has broken away from the squab), steering loose, bearings , suspension stuffed etc etc.
The list is long and varied.
Old 16-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #27
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wreckers

Hi

Been to upullit yesterday to get a couple things for the ed and was surprised at the amount of ba models probably would have been 5 at a quick count as was only there for 10-15 minutes, only one had been hit at back rest were fairly straight

What you’s think would’ve probably sent them there if they didn’t look like they had much wrong
Old 16-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Diff bushes, rear control arms and control blades, ball joints - all common failures on ba that can be uneconomical to repair.

I have heard that steering racks commonly fail on them too but I've never experienced a ba with that problem so I don't know.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #29
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi

noticed a few vy/vz on market place that look very nice with a defect notice and wondered what would hidden reasons likely be and why owners likely didnt fix what was needed on a otherwise nice car, can think of following reasons.

1. maybe had blue parkers.

2. maybe too low

3. had to get their quotas up so were looking for something and randonly picked a nice car.

4. frayed seatbelt

what would likely reason be why this vy got a defect and owner likely didnt clear it https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4778634600378/ https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9243283165139/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1329369285509/

theres also a ba https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6513909179929/ and a statesman in the vt/vx vintage https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1155164577739/ says too low but owner didnt put it back same height and cleared it https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5750032695701/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7336510451381/

there was also a pajero as well https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6513386882611/

at upullit theres a few defected cars that look like theyre too good and a territory probably 05 with a sticker. wondering if some of them were on lpg and the tank was out of date

it seems more holdens than fords even though its possible for any to get a sticker.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #30
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and there are some that look like wrecks that never ended up with a sticker

with ones that look rough but are otherwise fine and in good condition apart from that could they get a sticker, wouldnt have thought so if everything was good just looked rough