Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Bunnings Plumbing Fittings

Just a heads-up, it looks like Bunnies are getting out of capillary fittings. Lots of stuff gone, many brass fittings set to 99¢. Hopefully they’ll write their silver solder way down, too.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bunnings Plumbing Fittings

Haha. I was in a Bunnings last week and overheard this doddery old bloke ask more than one Bunnings' employee where the silver solder was as he couldn't see it (left his glasses at home). All I saw him get was blank stares.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Haha. I was in a Bunnings last week and overheard this doddery old bloke ask more than one Bunnings' employee where the silver solder was as he couldn't see it (left his glasses at home). All I saw him get was blank stares.
That was probably CB
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This may be the reason:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/le...f-c2dcc3f9279d

Quote:
The Australian Building Codes Board is about to release a new draft National Construction Code, with a key change to the allowable amount of lead from fittings - reducing it from the current 6 per cent to 0.25 per cent, the standard already used in countries such as the US and Canada.
and

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...er/vi-BB1g3GMQ

So perhaps it's time to get better acquainted with Pex or SmarteX-C Push-Fit type fittings.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-10-2021 at 09:36 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Interesting, press fittings are still the norm in most new work up to at least 50mm. I’m in with the “plastic is rat food” believers. Damage a copper line incidentally, hammer it flat in seconds to stop or at least staunch the flow. Try that with PEX.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Agreed the SmarteX-Press fittings would be preferable. But using something like these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18427025...cAAOSw--1fEURM or https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39249367...cAAOSwgsddrrvv instead of https://www.bunnings.com.au/ridgid-p...-jaws_p0170587
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
Stephenlk

I never use presoldeted capillary fittings myself, just the bare copper silver soldered. I don't like the idea of lead with drinking water.
Stephenlk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I’m in with the “plastic is rat food” believers.
But your street water mains are probably a type of plastic anyway these days.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

CICL, then down to CI. The patches are all poly. Luckily rats don’t dig 600 deep.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Interesting, press fittings are still the norm in most new work up to at least 50mm. I’m in with the “plastic is rat food” believers. Damage a copper line incidentally, hammer it flat in seconds to stop or at least staunch the flow. Try that with PEX.
I had a copper pipe corrode from inside out where it was perforated with small pin holes, caused considerable damage as I had no idea of leaking water; it was like a garden mist spray inside my internal wall.
If I had to build a new dwelling copper will be not used again.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That usually happens not far downstream of contact with something like a section of galvanised steel. Yes, a good chunk needs replacing when it goes bad like that!
Old 11-10-2021, 11:08 PM   #12
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Good luck with getting silver solder on special.

Last time I found it in tools area, more secure with more cameras etc.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:29 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
CICL, then down to CI. The patches are all poly. Luckily rats don’t dig 600 deep.
Must be an old suburb and some of that concrete lining might then be asbestos cement. I think ours is steel mains to the suburbs then PVC for the street distribution.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:34 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, the subdivision is from 1947, so getting on. Potable water was serviced in the area from around 1910, and just extended.

It was built “sewer ready” but unsewered - grey water went into the drains, then to the creek. Cans were used for a few years, then the sewer went in - not all the grey water lines were picked up, and a few of them were unknowingly converted to sewer by renovators.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Wasn't he in one of the Marvel movies?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2021, 12:39 AM   #16
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Damage a copper line incidentally, hammer it flat in seconds to stop or at least staunch the flow. Try that with PEX.

Been there done that...just fold it on itself...cable tie and flow stops.

or cigarette lighter till she melts and plugs itself....try that with copper...LOL

Best part about Bunnings smartex is a 200mm shifter and press..connections come clean off and can be reused.

Only copper I use these days is the shower breach, even then I mate the tails to smartex onnections....best thing since sliced bread.

Bye bye overpriced plumbing..

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #17
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I’d never heard of PEX before moving here…
Our main house (8yrs old) is all PEX… Magic stuff!
UV is it’s enemy though!
There was a section of PEX connecting h/water to outside kitchen downstairs… someone had used duct tape to protect from sun.. unfortunately, tape perished leaving tube exposed. A month later it burst (brittle as glass)
Hellova time buying pex or crimp rings here!
Ended up ordering through Amazon.. 20 metres tube, fittings, crimp rings and crimping tool.
You can also use “sharkbite” fittings which are push in.. No tools required.
The older house (20yrs) is all 1/2 glued PVC as is the norm here! (Even mains are glued pvc sched 40)
Even corner supermarket & gas station sells pvc fittings & glue.
Big downfall with Tico pvc repairs is they’ve never heard of primer, so joints continually blowing apart!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Big dramas here few year back at the now completed Perth Children's Hospital, caused by cheap Chinese brass plumbing fittings, loaded with lead, and all removed after completion, see if I can load link, I also think that's why plastic is the go to for fittings now?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...e=abc_news_web
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Big dramas here few year back at the now completed Perth Children's Hospital, caused by cheap Chinese brass plumbing fittings, loaded with lead, and all removed after completion, see if I can load link, I also think that's why plastic is the go to for fittings now?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...e=abc_news_web
****ty Chinese brass was the reason, so you could have the lead issue with plastic pipes if they are the same Chinese ****tiness.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
You can also use “sharkbite” fittings which are push in.. No tools required.
!
Good stuff, Sharkbite and Made in the USA. Did my whole place using their stuff. Certainly nothing like that cheap crap the big green shed of Chinesism sell.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #21
xb74_black

My old mans HD Holden had a home made heater in it that used two brass garden taps - in winter taps turned on, in summer taps off.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

There’s clearly a big push to PEX this year. Even many “standard” copper plumbing products are less available, such as lagged coils. I wonder if domestic AC will change materials for paircoil?
Old 20-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #23
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There’s clearly a big push to PEX this year. Even many “standard” copper plumbing products are less available, such as lagged coils. I wonder if domestic AC will change materials for paircoil?
About 10 years ago they were trying to push aluminium or alloy piping. I think it got some popularity in the UK when the price of copper went up.

I think split bashers might go for that eventually, especially if they're flaring back to back splits. The big issue is field repair brazing is so easy with copper. I knew some installers that always brazed even split systems as they never liked flares. I know even more that couldn't do a leak free flare to save their life anyway.
Another issue is refrigerants always changing, who knows if aluminum can withstand the pressure or not react badly to whatever refrigerant comes out next? Copper is always a safe bet and would always be used on larger systems.

E: Found this in artick paper as of 2019, seems copper is needed for good old A.S. holding us back/to ransom

Last edited by oldel; 20-10-2021 at 05:25 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: