Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-10-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Autoranging DMM Probe Power

What I want to do: Trace back circuits on a two-sided SMD board.

It’s all but impossible to follow them by eye, due to multi-way connectors soldered over parts of the circuits.

Is it safe to carefully probe back? I’ve looked at some of the semiconductor specs and they seem quite tolerant of boofheadry. Most of the lines I want to trace use an applied ground as a signal. Once I have a good clue on a single circuit, I only need to confirm by following back a couple of others.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Autoranging DMM Probe Power

Isn't there anything you do that is basic and easy?
What would be near impossible for most folk to achieve, well to you its like a weeks holiday on the Gold Coast!....lol.....

PS-..I read the post below, but, " what does it all mean "..lol..hahaha

Last edited by slowsnake; 15-10-2021 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Add PS
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This is potentially the cheapest repair, that’s why I’m keen to have a crack. As I don’t do TV, it’s a good evening pursuit. Being shortsighted I can almost put my nose on the circuits and with aid of an LED torch, read the markings on most components by eye.

If I can pinpoint a faulty piece, then it’s serviceable. Most of the ICs on that board are under $4 each. A donor set comprised of transponder chip, cluster, body computer and engine management would probably be $300-$350.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
J Arthur Rank

CB my good fellow, I reckon you'd have more luck asking this at the eevblog forums. Heaps and heaps of obscenely talented folks there.
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see no reason why you cant follow the traces around the board.
Top to bottom layer and back again is done by little via holes. Bit of scraping back the soldermask to bare copper in areas you want to probe with a scalpel and after you can recoat with a pen / conformal coating. Can get ugly if the PCB is 4+ layer though.
No tell tale signs around the board / components?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Unfortunately, no smoking gun. There was a little oxidisation haze from water drips, but it came off with careful dry brushing.

I had a quick look at the referred forum, it may be an option.

My problem is somewhere in the “middle”. I can drive the faulty circuits with actuator tests, and the inputs to the board are all correct. A number of the input status lines are being misread, and that’s the main issue.
Old 15-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its an older board (which it looks like from the photos in other thread) you might have some dry joints. Hit anything that looks a little dull with some flux and the iron. Maybe a cracked joint at one of the through hole / leg components? They can look good until you zoom in and find a concave blob of solder not wetting to the leg of a connector or a regulator.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
J Arthur Rank

What is the board you are mucking around on mate?
Old 15-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

What SMD board is it exactly? If it's common one someone may have already mapped it .
Old 15-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s the BEM out of an ‘01 Alfa. Double layered, double sided, multi-faulted.
Old 15-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
J Arthur Rank

Do you have the gear for reflowing/resoldering? As 71v8 suggests, it could be dry joints but I imagine you will go mad trying to redo smd stuff with a tip iron.

There are a lot of international users/watchers of Dave's forum and channel so give it a crack - maybe someone there has the same car.
Old 15-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Y10clvbQc ?

But if it's an Alpha these sort of electrical issues are considered a feature. But tracking the circuit with a DMM should be safe,

Last edited by aussiblue; 15-10-2021 at 09:45 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes AB, watched that video - his issues were similar to mine. Not a “car guy” so much as a small electronics tech.

Yesterday I traced back from the outputs to try identifying what ICs drive what - in case there was a single or pair of items at fault. Not so!

I have a second set of everything, will put that in tomorrow morning. Hopeful of a result; will get the immobiliser chip cloned if successful.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2021, 10:54 PM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

You fellows are very clever!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

For me it’s about striving for champagne on a beer budget, or distributing the same net expenditure differently.

Workshop fees would be $160 test (to ultimately condemn), $550 warranted used electronics/locks set with one flip key, $220-$400 labour and clear codes. If my budget is similar, say $50-$200 goes to that repair and the rest gets me a new timing belt kit, oil/filter, water pump and brake hoses.
Old 16-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #16
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

As long as your negative probe is connected to a good earth, the positive probe is just taking readings at different points. You just need to take care not to short out close by pins… just in case!
I imagine they still space out the positive and negative pins to avoid this.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I have to honestly say, on an enjoyment scale, I’d rather scrub the shower. But it’s preferable to digging post-holes in 35° heat with a crowbar and shovel.
Old 17-10-2021, 03:15 AM   #18
zilo
BANNED

As long as you take static electricity precautions you should be ok. Working on a concrete floor is a good technique.

A typical DMM has an impedance in excess of 10 megaohm so injected current is bugger all. A lot of modern units have continuity test settings with an audible tone correspinding to the resistance which speeds things up a bit.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post