Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
FinoFalcon
Starter Motor

Default PS3 or XBOX 360

Hey people, I'm just after your opinions on what you would rather buy, a Playstation 3 or an XBOX 360.

I would love a PS3, but you can get very good 360 deals at the moment. I'm just concerned whether the 360 will be superseded in a couple of years.

Thanks guys

FinoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

PS3 for me, hopefully Ill have one around or just after christmas, see how they hold their price.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Xbox 360. Got one myself about a month ago and its good fun, especially Test Drive Unlimited. Waiting to get a steering wheel for anniversary off my partner hehe .
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
TuMor
its not a!

Xbox 360 pretty much has the market. Ive got one, xbox live is awesome. Only reason id get a ps3 is because it can run f@h really fast (protein folding for cancer research). lol

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
krt10
eskyman

i got a xbox 360. its alright, dont play it much. when forza 2 comes out i will be though
Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the ps3 isnt cheap enough for me to buy nor is xbox 360, for what they are worth a good upgraded PC would flog them both put together (well maybe if you didnt spend it all on 2 video cards)

as for the machines themselves, ps3 craps on xbox for graphics gameplay and well games are usually the same for both consoles bar 1 or 2.

xbox has xbox live, havent looked into what PS3 has.

if they had a USB host, divx/xvid/mpeg4/mp3 playback i may look at one.

id wait it out personally until they come with 2 controllers some games and decide which way the disk format will go.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Rapid Tornado

I've got a ps3 and personally it's a much better product then the xbox. Basically you can plug video/digital camera's into it and play around with the pictures (havent done this yet myself).

The ps3 has the blu-ray disc, and now in video stores im already starting to see movies on blu-ray being released.

The ps3 is backwards compatible to both the ps2 and ps1 the xbox 360 isnt.

The actual console itself looks awesome really sleek looking with a flip up compartment at the front (next to the cd drive) where you plug all your devices and cards,etc.

If you can wait I would as there is no range of games.The only reason I bought mine straight away is because my ps2 crapped itself ages ago so I had nothing to play my ps2 games on.Not to mention xbox doesen't get gran turismo.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

I'll always back the Sony brand, and will be buying a PS3.

But the XBox 360 has had plently of time for developers to get the most out of it, hence at the moment the 360 has better graphics.

Give the PS3 12 months and it'll be "SLIGHTLY" better than the 360... It's a personal choice really. At the moment the PS3 is quite behind the 360 with the developers trying to work out the way to make the best out of the 3CPU Cores...

But definity get a PS3 just for the blu-ray alone. Blu-ray will take off and HDCD will fall out like the VCR Vs... (Forget the name) back in the day.

Sony just has too much power in the entertainment industry to let Microsoft's format win.
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

PS3 kraps all over the 360. The 360 is nothing special
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
ProjectXR

I got a 360, i rekon its pretty good. the only reason i would get a PS3 would be because of the new Gran Turismo
ProjectXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
BLDNUT01

i have the ps3 with NFS carbon and Motorstorm its a mad game its a great console plus if you look at the ps3 as a blu ray player as well then i guess you can justify the price (i did the harvey norman 20mth intrest free thing) the other thing you have to wait for more games to come out if you want to get online and play other ppl then go for the 360 there is a new model 360 coming by the end of the yr called the "elite with a 120g hdd and hdmi app it is going to have a smaller cpu so its more reliable
Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
Cruise

Nintendo Wii I say (yes i like to be difficult)
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ps3 is the most overatted gaming system ever.
I was excited about it's release and couldn't wait to get one.

I played 3 different games on it and all I can say is CRAP

The xbox360 shits all over it. I'm glad I bought one.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
all4ford
XW 351

My mate bought a PS3 the other day and it is good but its not as good as everyone is saying. The graphics were so suppose to be life like. Some games are only slightly better than PS2. Other games are better. I'm sure the PS3 will be a lot better when it gets some decent games out.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
My mate bought a PS3 the other day and it is good but its not as good as everyone is saying. The graphics were so suppose to be life like. Some games are only slightly better than PS2. Other games are better. I'm sure the PS3 will be a lot better when it gets some decent games out.
Remember, the PS3 is JUST out and not many companies can use its full-potential YET. Did you remember the first games that was out when PS2 was released? compare those games to today's PS2 games. Now let's wait 2-3 years and revisit this thread.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
xrobx
Slammin'

Value for money? Xbox 360. Power that won't be used? PS3.

The PS3, as others has said, is easily the most hyped up system ever. I've only seen one game, don't get me wrong. But it's nothing **** hot, and it's an absolute fad. The only thing going for it is Blu-Ray which in all honesty is hyped up as the next feature it has.

Quote:
The ps3 is backwards compatible to both the ps2 and ps1 the xbox 360 isnt.
Uhm, yes the Xbox 360 is. They both use software emulation so the original games run like sh!t. (I've tried it, emulation is useless like tits on a bull)

Microsoft seem to have the rights to a lot more things too. (Obviously, MSN Messenger which is being released on the Xbox this month). The PS3 is going to lose out this generation. They just took too long for nothing.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
Also I assume the TV you use will change the picture aswell.

Gran Tursimo, enough said.

And those who have brought either console are not about to bag their $500+ purchase are they.... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
Microsoft seem to have the rights to a lot more things too. (Obviously, MSN Messenger which is being released on the Xbox this month). The PS3 is going to lose out this generation. They just took too long for nothing.
And Sony cant make a chatting program because??...Plus who the hell wants that, you will then need a keyboard for your console, and that just goes against everything a console stands for.

I want something that plays games and thats it, stuff the rest of the stuff.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Also I assume the TV you use will change the picture aswell.
The tv does make a difference, how ever i was playing it on a new samsung 32 inch HD LCD TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I want something that plays games and thats it, stuff the rest of the stuff.
So you want an X-box 360 then? As for graphics, the PS3 is not ahead. Like has been said, maybe in a couple of years it will be awesome. But now, other than a blue ray player, its got nothing, but an overpriced price tag!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #19
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't you need a Blu Ray capable TV as well if you want to use it?

Polyal if you want something that plays games and that's it, you're much better off with a 360 IMO.

None of the consoles really jumped out at me, but considering I don't find Grand Turismo a good game, i'll probably end up going with a 360 anyway. Seems you can get good deals on them nowadays.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #20
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

What is it with everyone going on about Gran turismo? Its the most over-rated game ever!

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #21
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
What is it with everyone going on about Gran turismo? Its the most over-rated game ever!
That's what I thought, haha.

I did find it funny though that they used a screen shot from Project Gotham Racing (off xbox36) to promote GT on PS3.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #22
MattyJ

I've got a PS3 - i'm no geek when it comes to consoles, but the the PS3 is brilliant.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #23
AussieJason

The PS3 is overrated. Ridiculous price tag, blu-ray is still an unknown issue, dodgy backwards compatibity, no rumble and average games.

For the price of a PS3 you can get a 360 and a Wii.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #24
gozza

360 ftw.....Pefect Dark was a launch title and its graphics are quite brilliant...There are games that look ordinary but i blame the developers for rushing them out.....Ive seen 2 ps3 games being played and they did not impress me

Forza 2 sounds really good....You can put your cars into a wind tunnel to test downforce lol...
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #25
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I'm actually thinking a Nintendo Wii is looking more fun.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #26
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I'm actually thinking a Nintendo Wii is looking more fun.
They get boring quite quick. I was playing one a while ago on my projector, was pretty cool. But its a novelty kinda thing that wears off.

The choice between ps3 or xbox 360 ? I've got a 360 .. the graphics on both consoles are great and are pretty close, if anyone tells you one us much better then the other they are full of crap. Both on HD look very similar and both are great. Xbox 360 has live which is pretty cool, you can chat to friends whilst playing against them online and send picture messages or voice messages and crap. I might get a ps3 eventually, just to try the games that Xbox doesnt have.

Also if you want HD DVD, buy a 360 and get the HD DVD drive. At the moment its like $250 but soon you can get it cheaper.

I recently bought Condemned for 360, damn thats a cool game. Pretty violent, horror style CSI game. Can't wait for Forza 2, anyone have that official 360 steering wheel ? Is it any good ? It's about $180 and I wanna get it for Forza 2.

cheers martO
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #27
gozza

I have the Microsoft wheel.....You will have to make a bench or table to mount it on for best enjoyment lol......I have only played TDU with it and it was crap on that.....But its aparently going to be great for Forza 2.....The Forcefeed back in TDU was crap...another developer thing i think.....

I'll let you know when i get forza if you want haha
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

can get the hd dvd drive for less than 200$ delivered now.

i will be getting a 360 when forza2 comes out.. bluray and hddvd dont interest me as my tv can only output 720p anyway.
1k is too much for a console imo
Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #29
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I think a lot of people won't notice graphical improvements on any modern console because they're still using farking ancient TVs! I plugged my 360 into my 19" Samsung LCD via VGA and ran it at 1280x1024 and it looked really really awesome! Standard TVs do no justice to modern game consoles, seriously, the difference is amazing on a decent LCD or Plasma. **** old TVs, **** them now.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #30
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a ps3 and I think its great - the graphics everything, I played call of duty 3 the other day online (big mistake) died about 20 times and only managed to kill 2 people. Will be very interesting to see waht Blu ray looks like (I went to a store and they showed me the difference, it was very impressive - but as others have said then you need the right tv)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post