Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
REDDYZ

Default SVT Upgrade

I bought SVT UIM & LIM kit from US long back but couldn't hook it up for several reasons. It was a complete kit with UIM, Throttle body, LIM, SVT 19LB injectors with fuel rail and regulator, gaskets, nuts, bolts, air box extension hose, etc,.

Throttle cable was missing which makes the rest useless without it. Took a while to find one and then couldn't find time to do the upgrade. I was confused for sometime whether to go for full upgrade or just UIM. Thanks to Dave for leading me in this issue. I decided to go for full upgrade but in stages. Then there was a leak which I initially thought the sump or timing cover gasket leaking. Luckily it was rocker cover. So, to do rocker cover gaskets UIM has to come off so I thought this is the best time to hook up SVT kit. Then, had problem getting rid off the excess sticky carbon buildup inside SVT UIM. With not much choice gave it for acid clean. Outcome was great.

However, as some of you already know that I had to sacrifice the black matt finish paint on the manifold which had halted my upgrade plan again. I had two options to repaint the UIM. 1). Use paint stripper and repaint 2). Sandblast and repaint. As Dave suggested I opt for sandblasting and the result was unbelievable. UIM has become literally brand new inside out with acid clean and sandblast.

With this result I have decided to do this job properly and professionally. So, instead of normal paint I chose powder coating. Since rocker covers are gonna come off to replace the gaskets, I decided to get rocker covers power coated as well.

I thought since am doing this by myself I will share it here so that others will know what's involved and if they want they can do it by themselves as its not as hard as it looks like. Here we go...

Tools you would need is a 1/4 or 3/8 drive rachet with 7, 10mm sockets, flat head screwdriver. Thats all.
This is only to replace UIM with throttle body. LIM replacement is complicated and need more tools and skills. First I will upgrade UIM and see the outcome of clean UIM and then slowly I will replace LIM, injectors, MSDS extractors, etc,. MSDS wasn't in my list but I recently noticed that pre-cats are the main culprits behind high engine bay temperatures and want to get rid of them and add another cat somewhere far from the engine bay if required. So, I added MSDS in the list.

1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Remove plastic duratec cover by undoing three 7mm bolts and remove PCV hose off rocker cover.
  3. Undo the clips all around air box to release air box.
  4. Unplug wiring connections from TPS, IACV, MAF, Air charge temperature sensors.
  5. I missed numbering and jumped from 4th to 6th. So, at this point there is nothing to do... you can take a break if you like.
  6. This is the same PCV hose that was removed from rocker cover mentioned in 2nd point. So, leave it as it is. Its easy to remove from rocker cover. But there will be another hose on the opposite side to this one, which runs from rear rocker cover. Remove it from this end coz you cant access the rocker cover until you take the manifold off.
  7. Loosten the clamps and separate the hoses from IACV valve and throttle body which would separate the air cleaner cover, MAF, hose that runs between MAF and throttle body all in one piece.

8. Separate vacuum lines from manifold

9. Undo six 10mm bolts holding UIM agains LIM.

Then, lift up the plastic lock tab that is holding the cable to the bracket and split open and seperate the metal clip holding the cable end to the throttle body. ***This is for Cougars with manual Transmission only****. The ones with automatic transmissions are much simpler and don't require to replace throttle cable.

Now the final thing to do before UIM comes off. This looks complicated but its very easy and you need not apply any force at all.

Gently lift up the manifold with your left hand and you will notice that the hose in section 'A' will separate on its own and with your right hand slide/pull the top end of the separated part to the side which will separate section 'B'. They are held against each other by weight of UIM and design so no need to apply any force to undo them. Do not try and undo from section 'C'.
FYI, 'D' is the other PCV hose I mentioned earlier in point '6' that runs from rear rocker cover.
Did you notice 'E'? after so many kms surprisingly the throttle body looks unbelievably clean inside and outside. Well this surprise didn't last long. You will know soon what am talking about.
This is how the setup looks after UIM is off.

Anway, UIM can come off now. That's it. If you think this is simple you can do it on your own. If your kat is manual, you will need to replace throttle cable which is again simple if you know how to do it and I will tell you how soon when I get to that stage. I can replace it now but I want to replace test the new UIM, throttle body and make sure they work, before I remove the stock throttle cable. Tomorrow, I will take out rocker covers and send them for sandblasting and eventually powder coating. At the moment I planned to go with black matt finish for rockers and UIM to keep them authentic. Any other colors will make them look different and not authentic. Hopefully I will get rocker covers off tomorrow.

Yogi

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post