Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Huawei

Any one use one of these phones? From what I've read, these days they are a pretty good device.

I've always shopped in the shallow end of the pool as a mobile phone is just a convenience device for me, not a 'must have' possession. only ever been on the lowest plans but it seems more and more, the minimum spend is going up if you want to be catered for on a plan.

i'm with virgin mobile, have been for years and don't want to change.

my phones were always nokia until the smartphone era, then a sony for a bit until microsoft came back, and for the last couple of years a microsoft windows phone. now, through lack of support and the phone becoming glitchy, i'm in the market again, and the only real option is a couple of lesser known brands. (i don't do apple products).

just curious as to any feedback on these devices. i only call, text, take photo's and do a bit of browsing so any phone will likely satisfy my needs.

the particular phone available is a Huawei P9. i liked my windows phone as it was something different, but they are pretty much gone (again) so now they all look the same.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 AM   #2
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Huawei

They always made good modems. I've have a U8300 for seven years now, $26 network unlocked. Pretty good for calls, has a light, micro SD card, camera, and so on. Fits in your hand - which is good and bad, bit too small if you are texting all the time, but then I'd need something tablet sized. Battery life is still surprisingly good.
http://phonesdata.com/en/smartphones/huawei/u8300-1300/

Probably should've been relegated to landfill years ago (sorry, recycled) - but hey it still works.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I'm also with Virgin and also have a long Nokia history and also had to dump my Nokia Windows phones (Lumia 625) too for the same reasons as you and after reading various reviews (e.g. https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/revie...-phone/618784/ abd https://www.cnet.com/au/products/mot...5-plus/review/ ) went for a MotoG5Plus. I've had it two weeks and so far I'm happy ..............although I am still ****ed with Microsoft for withdrawing support for Windows phones. Note the MotoG5 plus max memory card capacity is 128GB not 256GB as quoted on some sites but I find 128GB more than enough.

Last edited by aussiblue; 12-08-2017 at 05:50 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

havent had any dramas with my 640XL. Of course Microsoft don't make phones anymore lost lots of money on that venture. If your a nokia fan look at their non-smart phone selection.
https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/all-phones
even bringing the 3310 back...the 3310!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I have a Huawei P8 lite that I have had for about 2 years now. It really is a great phone.

Got it free when the wife and I signed up a shared data plan. Was going to have the wife's old iphone 5, but when I got offered this, I couldn't really say no.

It even came with a free scree replacement within the first twelve months, which I took up at the end of the twelve months. The whole process really was pretty easy, with Telstra giving me a free loan phone whilst my phone was away.

The interface is great, it rarely glitches, I don't feel restricted to using itunes like I would have to with an iphone, and there's a plethora of apps available fr it through google play.

I really can't fault it and would probably get another one in the future, even if I had to pay for it.

I had never heard of Huawei before I got the free one, but I soon discovered they are the largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world. No wonder it works so bloody well.

Edit: Oh, and the battery life is great! Easily outdoes the iphone and the wife's Sony, so that is an added bonus. I can go three days without a charge with about 2 to 3 voice calls a day plus lots of app and text usage.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Thanks for the feedback. Even though any phone will suit my needs I still like to have a reasonable device. Been looking at reviews of the Huawei P9, and there isn't a lot of negativity around. The biggest thing complained about is the emotion user interface (emui) that Huawei put over top of android. I read it's kind of like a clone of ios software. Android users don't like how it changes all the app icons and stuff.

Coming from a Windows phone it would be a whole different experience anyway so it doesn't bother me. I had an android Sony a couple of years ago so the basics haven't changed.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I had never heard of Huawei before I got the free one, but I soon discovered they are the largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huawei

same. never really take any notice of the 'not so mainstream' players in australia.

since being forced to look at some slightly different options i've been doing lots of googling over the weekend, and Huawei really is a well established brand. sometimes because things aren't as popular in australia, we can often get the wrong idea.

also, all too often, anything out of china is automatically dismissed as being inferior.

having discovered all this, i'm much more comfortable now about possibly choosing a Huawei branded phone than i was 3 days ago.

there is a samsung galaxy a5 available under the same plan bracket, which most reviews have as being a better phone, but me being me, will probably go with the Huawei P9 just to be different. Other options are Sony xperia xz, Oppo R9 and a couple of others i can't remember. I'll make a final decision once i see them live in store and have a bit of a play. I had a Sony before and they get pretty good reviews.
Old 14-08-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out

http://phandroid.com/2016/04/29/huawei-p9-first-things/

And

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/be...-huawei-phone/

Sent from ASUS ZE551ML ^_^ using Tapatalk
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I've found best for me is to buy a phone outright Ebay Samsung s4 $250 up to s8 $800 then pick the plan that suits your usage.
https://www.spintel.net.au/products/mobile

Right now I'm on a s4 with a cheap plan but my next phone I'll jump straight up to the s8 with the bigger screen.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This phone is a rebranded Alcatel Shine Lite, normally $180, but has been on sale for $119 until 3/09/17. Will work fine with virgin, and going by your phone needs, will be more than enough.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid.../optus/x-sleek

specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_shine_lite-8377.php
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

To give you an idea when something does goes wrong with this brand of phone.

Our daughter's phone turned into a brick. Sent it away thinking that it would take 6 weeks.

Sent it in on a Monday and got it back on the Friday. Not only had they fixed it but used the current spec hardware, thus effectively getting back an upgraded phone.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
This phone is a rebranded Alcatel Shine Lite, normally $180, but has been on sale for $119 until 3/09/17. Will work fine with virgin, and going by your phone needs, will be more than enough.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid.../optus/x-sleek

specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_shine_lite-8377.php

It may look similar but it's not the same phone.
Old 15-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It may look similar but it's not the same phone.
why do you think its different?

doesnt matter really, i didnt initially see further down you were looking at $400-$500 phones. The first post sounded exactly how i view phones & what i need them for so i posted a budget example which has more than enough hardware to get by. However if your looking at taking awesome photos in any light, then cheap phones wont cut it.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
why do you think its different?

doesnt matter really, i didnt initially see further down you were looking at $400-$500 phones. The first post sounded exactly how i view phones & what i need them for so i posted a budget example which has more than enough hardware to get by. However if your looking at taking awesome photos in any light, then cheap phones wont cut it.
i think its different because the hardware is different. different specs etc.

sorry for any confusion. i wasn't really after suggestions on a phone. i mentioned i was on a plan with virgin and had no intention of changing. of the selection of free phones available on the $40 plan, one was a Huawei, and i was just after some feedback/reviews on this brand.

it doesn't really matter now. i picked up my new Huawei P9 yesterday.