Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #61
madmatty
dipstick

Default Re: Autonomous cars &a your thoughts?

the greatest driving exprience in the future will involve a playstation or similar.
drive or race even in any car on any road in total safety and comfort.
sad but true
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #62
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Will autonomous cars be the death of the car industry as we know it? Where's the motivation for performance or individualisation in a car you aren't driving?
It's a possibility, but you can always stand your ground and refuse to use them. Plus plenty an oil tycoon have a magnificent collection of classic cars that won't be converted.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #63
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #64
vdmruss

As someone who does quite a bit of software engineering as part of my work, I really do not see self-driving cars a possibility anywhere in the near future. It's also quite irritating that everyone is jumping on this bandwagon, with tons of (often hilarious) comments coming from people that have never written a line of code.

I've posted this video in another forum before. I am aware that Tesla's offer very rudimentary autonomous features, however it highlights the primary issue with self-driving cars.

The fundamental problem is that we simply do not have true artificial intelligence. Sure we have systems that can mimic AI in some ways, but these systems still go as far as the programmer(s) that designed them. A computer program is still just a bunch of subroutines no matter how complex and will always operate within the boundaries of its design. I often find this point a little hard to explain. How will autonomous cars handle chaos, unpredictable, unexpected and random events, sensor failure....

For anyone interested, look up "Moral Machine" and Trolley Problem. Autonomous cars face a lot of challenges.... sticking a bunch of sensors and lidars onto a car and mapping out the environment is just a small part.

I definitely would not want to be part of a team that was tasked to write code that handles real life autonomous driving scenarios.

vdmruss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #65
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is spooky, if you are concerned about driverless cars, then you need to beware of the front seat passenger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtX-qVUfCKI

Peter
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #66
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

^^^ Creepy alright, the passenger female robot can go back to the lab & stay there permanently lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #67
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmruss View Post
As someone who does quite a bit of software engineering as part of my work, I really do not see self-driving cars a possibility anywhere in the near future.
I get what you're saying but there is a fundamental flaw in dismissing ideas because current technology isn't there yet and can't support it.

There's no point saying "so wait for the technology to be built and then try again" because it works the other way around. Currently-impossible-ideas drive technological advancement, not the other way around.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #68
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue.