Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
FPV0002
FPV0002

Default Autonomous cars &a your thoughts?

Evening all, been a lot of buzz surrounding autonomous/self driving cars these last few weeks and their arrival in the not too distant future. I have heard some 'futurist' describing a scenario in which we will no longer need to own a vehicle one day and we will simply command one to come when we need it, take us to our destination and then bugger off and pick someone else up. I would like to hear other car enthusiasts thoughts on the self driving car and what the motring landscape will look like once they are mainstream. I personally love driving and with the exception of the odd slow boring commute in traffic to work would prefer to steer myself. Getting your pride and joy out on a nice day and taking it for a cruise is one of life's pleasures that I always look forward to. I cannot imagine there would be a love for an autonomous vehicle as it would simply be an appliance? I am also a tradesman so in need a vehicle everywhere I go to carry all my gear. What are everyone's thoughts?
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Autonomous cars &a your thoughts?

Agree. Not interested.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Sprint XR8

Self-driving Taxis Will Become the Most Disgusting Spaces on Earth

Quote:
With the entire automotive industry looking toward a future of driverless mobility, commercially owned self-driving taxis seem poised to be on the frontline of tomorrow. However, nobody seemed to realize that these vehicles will eventually become little more than mobile toilets.

Animals are universally disgusting and humans are no exception. While we’ve mastered land, air, and sea, consider the spaces we occupy while we traverse those expanses. Rental cars are returned filled with candy wrappers, spilt soda, and human hair. Uber vehicles are routinely vomited in. The subway is a haven for disease. Airplane interiors experience havoc within the first hour of a flight as the worst of us begin defecating into the seats, too lazy and weak to control ourselves.

Autonomous taxis aren’t likely to endure better treatment. Without a driver present, the urge to have drunken sex will be far too strong — and those odds only increase when you add a second occupant to the equation. With nobody watching, we’ll leave half-consumed hamburgers and cans of sweetened tea on their floors that will roll around and turn the carpet into a sticky magnet for larger pieces of garbage.

Bloomberg speculates the never-ending process of cleaning other people’s filth will cost large firms with autonomous fleets tens of millions of dollars annually. That number swells into the billions when you account for insurance, maintenance, storage, and the accelerated devaluation of such vehicles.

Uber is desperate to make the switch to driverless vehicles as soon as technology allows it, but abandoning the vehicle’s owner could result in unforeseen costs. Since drivers are responsible for their own cars, Uber’s policy is to force passengers who make a mess to foot the cleaning bill. This often results in drivers paying it themselves, especially when there isn’t a standout vomiting incident allowing for easy finger pointing. However, even when there is, it’s notoriously difficult to actually force someone to pay and often times not worth pursuing.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...aces-on-earth/
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

My question is "Who asked for driverless cars?"

When we find that person, we put them in a driverless space rocket and fulfill all their desires.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Guzz226

Just wait until the Government realises they will loose millions in revenue from speed cameras....surely there is an autonomous car tax in the wings.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Just wait until the Government realises they will loose millions in revenue from speed cameras....surely there is an autonomous car tax in the wings.
Governments wont need the amount of tax currently as there will be much less road trauma, roads wont be torn to shreds by overweight vehicles and self directed hoons, less environmental damage to clean up, the economy will do better with more productive time spent not in traffic, no local manufacturers to support.
Win win win for the taxpayer. It wont happen overnight but it will happen.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There will never be vehicles zipping around with no driver or more importantly no one responsible for the vehicle. To say they wont have accidents is BS, how many times has software and hardware failed?
In the 1950s there were going to be flying cars in the future...where did that go.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

It's the end of the world. Aargh.
Was wondering if car companies will even need to sell the vehicles they build as they could just run a taxi business as less people will need to own a car.
Just request a car in an app and wait a few minutes and your off.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Governments wont need the amount of tax currently as there will be much less road trauma, roads wont be torn to shreds by overweight vehicles and self directed hoons, less environmental damage to clean up, the economy will do better with more productive time spent not in traffic, no local manufacturers to support.

JP
Less trauma...hopefully. There is a long way to go before we get to that...it is very easy to trick an automonous car into thinking a stop sign is a 130kmh limit - just takes one rogue individual and some stickers.

I don't share your optimism that GovCo will survive without a major revenue stream though.

Throw in battery cars with less fuel excise and I can see an autonomous tax and an electricity levy given the electrical system is already stretched.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Without a driver present, the urge to have drunken sex will be far too strong — and those odds only increase when you add a second occupant to the equation'

Are a lot of people going to be having sex with themselves in these autonomous cars??????
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

If autonomous is the way of the future we may end up being transported in drab cardboard boxes. If motoring heads the was of the PC there is next to no difference between an Lenovo, Dell or Toshiba. Crack open a PC and they're basically the same cheap computer bits inside.

Welcome to the brave new world of visionary motoring Kim Jong iL style. Good luck with any vehicle modifications, the manufacturers will probably have proprietary everything including wheel nuts.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Tony Mouse car may be feasible in Euro countries where public transport is everywhere, and a drive of more than 100k will result in you falling off the edge of whatever country you are in.
When one can drive you from the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Cameron Corner without getting lost, hitting the local fauna, or loosing its suspension in a bottomless pothole, I will say 'OK, they have succeeded', but not in my lifetime.
I think cars will run out of fuel, be it petrol, gas, lithium batteries, flux capacitors, whatever before Tony Mouse cars are mainstream.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post

JP
It's an awesome scenario. You won't need as many cars as you just lease for the time you need the car. Less road trauma so you don't need as many doctors and nurses, police, ambos or fireies to get people out of car or care for them.

Less physios too.

And autonomous trucking there's a few more jobs not needed.

These guys pay tax. They may not need as much in terms out outgoings but the tax base is about to shrink markedly due to automation.

There will be new jobs to fit in with this but not the sort of jobs which people without a trade or degree will actually get.

To be honest there could be massive social upheaval coming and that doesn't bode well for a nice stable society.

I'm for autonomy and robots when it helps productivity not when it puts people out of jobs.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goodbye trucking industry....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of chatter about autonomous Taxis (or Uber) and I just can't see how it works.
For starters, most countries don't have high labour costs like Australia.
Then, what happens when your auto-uber rocks up and the last passenger has vomited allover the interior?
It would also seem like a cheap way for people to nick parts.

And whilst I'm not about to say "it will never happen" I don't see how you get around the legal issues surrounding liability. (Especially in a country like the USA where suing big corporations is their national sport.)

I can see greater levels of autonomy working for your own car. As long as you are in the drivers seat, you are deemed to be in control, and held liable. And there would be some attraction, especially for daily commuting in traffic.

The other thing that worries me, in all seriousness (and without going all "iRobot") is the question of children and roos. I have collided with a roo twice, both times on my way home in suburbia, so it is a real issue.
If I am driving along, and I see a roo or child by the side of the road, I know to slow right down because bother are unpredictable and prone to stupidity. How do you teach that to a computer? If you program it to detect pedestrians on the verge and slow down every time, you'll never get anywhere.
How do you program it to recognize that the vehicle stopped is full of school children?
And lastly, if god forbid a child does run in front of me, I will swerve and do anything possible to avoid them, even if that means going off the road. A roo? No chance, thats what roo bars are for. Even if you could program a computer to know the difference, Will the vegan brigade insist all cars are programmed to protect wildlife?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Meet George Jetson...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #17
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
There will never be vehicles zipping around with no driver or more importantly no one responsible for the vehicle.
Hate to tell you they already are, not just cars zipping but massive trucks travelling driverless on public roads delivering freight.

http://intellibus.rac.com.au/?gclid=...RoCVYYQAvD_BwE

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/25/driv...ing-truck.html

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #18
GTMOND

I'm so over the whole technology crap, not just cars, but the replacing humans with computer operated equipment.
They just keep coming up with this Sh.t to replace blue collar jobs, so it will be the select few fat cats who become wealthy and everyone else struggles ,because of our desire to replace our base jobs with technology.
I'm sorry, but science and technology design and manufacturing , can only employ so many people. Plus like it or not, not everyone is capable of being a A grade student.
Supermarket self checkouts I avoid just purely on principle as this could well have been one of my kids after school jobs, convenient yes but only real benefit is the supermarkets bottom line.
Anyway back to autonomous cars, well it's pretty clear how I feel.
Science and technology certainly have a place, but not at the cost of the average Joe trying to get a job.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Can't get phone reception out 50km from Melbourne and you think they're going to have driverless cars any time soon

I can't wait to rub one out in a driverless taxi, and then when I'm out of there you're going to sit in the same place
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
Nanoraptor
Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Can't get phone reception out 50km from Melbourne and you think they're going to have driverless cars any time soon

I can't wait to rub one out in a driverless taxi, and then when I'm out of there you're going to sit in the same place
oh. ew. Bet you're not the only one though

Bet you're on camera too and the taxi operator sells the pics on the internet for a little more profit. Never underestimate people.

Interesting times. Be great if folk who truly love driving for the sake of driving get to keep our V8 meditation time. Our unpredictability relative to tens of thousands of automated vehicles may be the noise in the system that helps stop the unintended consequences of so many pieces of code controlling identical vehicles reacting identically...

Imagine a whole country full of automated cars zipping along highways two seconds apart at precisely 100.000km/h and something truly unexpected happens like a small asteroid (as over Chelyabinsk in 2013) and every car is blinded (or even completely confused by the EMP from the burst) for 2-3 seconds.

Unintended consequences in too-rigid systems and boom, the chain reaction could have tens of thousands of fatal crashes across a state in under a minute.

Of course, good programming would have that noise integrated into every vehicle. Vehicles might even have slightly different driving personalities, and while I might trust coders as a group to *think* of all those potential issues and their fixes I don't trust corporations to actually allow individdual ones time to *implement* them well.

We drivers might just save everyone, and nobody would know.

*wishful thinking*

Last edited by Nanoraptor; 13-08-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Nanoraptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
radler

Fable has a time of the humble horse and cart...

No carbon tax back then, but people could easily step on things in the dark .... sort of like dog crap, but on a larger scale .... and things were measured in 'horse power' .... or as some prefer 'chasing ponies...

But on a serious note ... electric driverless cars .. has the potential to change world economics with less reliance on middle easten oil ...

Ross : n/a fgx xr6 - manual
radler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
There's a lot of chatter about autonomous Taxis (or Uber) and I just can't see how it works.
For starters, most countries don't have high labour costs like Australia.
Then, what happens when your auto-uber rocks up and the last passenger has vomited allover the interior?
It would also seem like a cheap way for people to nick parts.

And whilst I'm not about to say "it will never happen" I don't see how you get around the legal issues surrounding liability. (Especially in a country like the USA where suing big corporations is their national sport.)

I can see greater levels of autonomy working for your own car. As long as you are in the drivers seat, you are deemed to be in control, and held liable. And there would be some attraction, especially for daily commuting in traffic.

The other thing that worries me, in all seriousness (and without going all "iRobot") is the question of children and roos. I have collided with a roo twice, both times on my way home in suburbia, so it is a real issue.
If I am driving along, and I see a roo or child by the side of the road, I know to slow right down because bother are unpredictable and prone to stupidity. How do you teach that to a computer? If you program it to detect pedestrians on the verge and slow down every time, you'll never get anywhere.
How do you program it to recognize that the vehicle stopped is full of school children?
And lastly, if god forbid a child does run in front of me, I will swerve and do anything possible to avoid them, even if that means going off the road. A roo? No chance, thats what roo bars are for. Even if you could program a computer to know the difference, Will the vegan brigade insist all cars are programmed to protect wildlife?
Those autonomous trucks in the pilbara can do just that. If something wanders into its lane it will panic stop if it's within a certain distance. They also predict oncoming traffic interactions and slow up if it deems it a risk to coming into its path.

They will even stop if a tumbleweed less than a foot in diameter gets into their path.

Are they better than a manned truck. No. Do they move more than a manned truck? Yes just cos they don't need to take a **** or change shifts.

Do they work well on long hauls yup but in tight spots they suck.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoraptor View Post
oh. ew. Bet you're not the only one though

Bet you're on camera too and the taxi operator sells the pics on the internet for a little more profit. Never underestimate people.
#faketaxi
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good for brain dead idiots that would rather look at Facebook 8 hours a day rather than drive, but I'd prefer to drive myself 90% of the time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
There will be new jobs to fit in with this but not the sort of jobs which people without a trade or degree will actually get.
Once driver-less vehicles are normal, that's hundreds of millions of people out of a job world wide. There is not going to be hundreds of millions of jobs for "autonomous vehicle programmer" or "autonomous vehicle maintainer"
Bring on the new industries that don't exist yet, because we need them before there is an unemployment crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
It's an awesome scenario. You won't need as many cars as you just lease for the time you need the car. Less road trauma so you don't need as many doctors and nurses, police, ambos or fireies to get people out of car or care for them.
How will there be less cars? Sure less cars in private hands, but there will be theoretically more cars on the road. Once I'm finished driving for the day my car stays inside my garage, if my lift home was just a driver-less taxi once it drops me off it will be back out on the road hunting for the next passenger. So not only will you have all the regular commuters, but you will also have the empty cars driving around heading to the next job.
But since the unemployment rate will be like 40% with many jobs automated, no one will have jobs to travel to or have any money to travel around or spend on leisure activities. So yes there will be less cars on the road I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
I'm so over the whole technology crap, not just cars, but the replacing humans with computer operated equipment.
They just keep coming up with this Sh.t to replace blue collar jobs, so it will be the select few fat cats who become wealthy and everyone else struggles ,because of our desire to replace our base jobs with technology.
Business tax rate will be 70% because they will have to help support the millions in centrelink lines.

On the plus side once self driving cars are among regular traffic I hope they are easy to identify from a distance. I will need to know so I can push in front of them at merge lanes. The computer will err on the side of caution and let you merge to avoid a crash, plus I won't feel bad cutting off a computer.

Last edited by Ben73; 13-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #26
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Good for brain dead idiots that would rather look at Facebook 8 hours a day rather than drive
That's their goal, to take away your enjoyment.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #27
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm not a fan of taking jobs away from real people

plus can i tell my autonomous car to do a skid?
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #28
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Hate to tell you they already are, not just cars zipping but massive trucks travelling driverless on public roads delivering freight.

http://intellibus.rac.com.au/?gclid=...RoCVYYQAvD_BwE

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/25/driv...ing-truck.html
Not some remotely controlled or monitored vehicle with a team of engineers sitting behind PCs.
I am talking totally stand alone and relying on its own systems and able to navigate all scenarios.

Never going to happen.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #29
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

If the car can drop me at the pub, and pick me up when I have had a skinfull I might be interested then

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #30
XWGT