Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default Ebay radiator experiences

My XR8's heater tap just started leaking and it looks to be the original one. Crumbled apart as I removed it. The radiator looks original too (Ford logo) so I'm thinking I'll throw a new one in at the same time. It's not leaking yet but the plastic tanks are probably brittle and ready to blow after 17 years.

There are tons of radiators on ebay from $100-150. Are they worth it or will it be worse than the original one I'll be taking out? Interested to hear any experiences with these, good or bad. Cheers

I like the look of this one, at least it has caps on the ports and the tabs are crimped around the hose necks (some others aren't). http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radiator-...53.m1438.l2649
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ebay radiator experiences

Familiar story and I'm in the same boat currently so I will be keen to see the replies in here.

As for the heater tap, my AU Ghia's one has been dripping occasionally so I picked up a cheap ebay one this time. I remember replacing the one on my TE50 after it crumbled up like old cheese, that was a few years back though. Anyway, the build quality of this ebay one seems quite good actually, comparable to the Genuine Ford I bought last time IMO but I will have to fit it and see (planning for this weekend)...

I've been looking on ebay at the aftermarket radiators. From what I've read, aluminium is 'better' than copper so that's good as most on ebay are aluminium. Beyond that, I suppose purchasing from an ebay store that appears to be radiator specific (rather than a seller or all types of items) is probably a good start.

That's all I've got so far.

Did you see the kit on there for the radiator, top and bottom hoses and a cap for $130ish? I will be replacing my cap at the same time, they don't last forever either.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Hi I'm pretty sure that that ebay one is what I bought last time (2yrs ago?) for my TS50, as its a 'one size fits all' radiator for 6 or 8.

The issue with most leaks I've had in the past is leaking through the seal between the plastic header and the alum. core

As I said mines been in there for 2 years now and had no issues whatsoever. For the price I am more than happy.

As a side note I recall being a genuine one many years ago now for the cost of $400 IIRC, and it was exactly the same as the ebay ones.

So I would recommend them.

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive bought a cheap radiator from ebay for my falcon, and it was fine the time i owned it. I assume your looking for someone who's fitted & owned a cheapie for a few years & held up fine, then report back here. Problem is theyre generic no name stuff, from sellers who are sourcing different ones from all over the place, & who may or may not be running an ebay store anymore... so good luck getting a definitive answer.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

I ended up buying one from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-Q...72.m2749.l2649

It looks pretty good, came well packed and shrink wrapped. Brand is TBAP. Crimping job looks decent as in the pics, I noticed on some others they haven't bothered crimping the fiddly bits near the hose necks. Popped it in today and it fitted properly and isn't leaking, so no nasty surprises. I found some small leaks on the old one once out so good to have it done.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post