Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #61
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nerve damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Does anyone know the process/or if nerve damage is treated? I took myself to hospital today and turns out I've done something to the nerves in my left elbow that's made me lose the function of my left hand and wrist. Worst thing is I'm left handed. They said its nerve palsey. I have a referral for phisio, but that sounds odd as I 100% cannot lift my wrist or spread or open my fingers. I can however make a weak fist and lower my wrist.
Sounds like damage to the ulna nerve where it goes around the elbow (funny bone). The nerve tries to jump the medial epicondial every time the elbow is bent, creating elbow pain when doing things like washing the car but it also creates numbness and weakness in the hand. The numbness is usually the whole pinky and the inside of the finger next to it and weakness in the pointer.

This can be fixed by an operation called an ulnar transposition where the nerve is relocated to inside the elbow but full recovery can take up to two years depending on the amount of nerve damage prior to the operation.

Nerves regenerate very slowly at around a millimeter per day so being over 300mm from the fingers to the elbow the process can take some time.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #62
.:4:.
Kicking back

39 days it took to get movement back in my fingers. I have been back at work for 3 weeks and whilst still very weak, I have about 90% movement back and see slight improvements daily. Hand writing is the biggest killer. Did a course on Wednesday and my notes started legible then went down hill. Not sure how the examiner could read my test, maybe that's how I got 100%, he couldn't be bothered asking my what I wrote....
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #63
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like you guys have definitely had a rough time of it... glad you're feeling better at least a little now, I can understand your frustration.

I've had a neck injury I sustained at work coming up 3 years ago which just hasn't settled, leaving me with chronic pain in my neck and down my right upper arm and hand. Today a doctor tried to test my reflexes and found I didn't have one or it was heavily reduced when tapping me on the tricep/elbow of the affected arm. For the past 3 years I've always *felt* like my right arm is a bit "off". There has been burning and tingling in my hand/pinky finger and my upper arm has atrophied and is smaller in diameter than my left despite being the dominant arm.

The reflex has been present most of the time but has played up on occasion. So now I'm thinking there is something wrong with the nerves in my arm.

I've seen a neurologist who has suggested a nerve conduction study. She suggested it only as she felt it wouldn't change management. Has anyone ever had a nerve conduction study done?

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #64
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonian View Post
It sounds like you guys have definitely had a rough time of it... glad you're feeling better at least a little now, I can understand your frustration.

I've had a neck injury I sustained at work coming up 3 years ago which just hasn't settled, leaving me with chronic pain in my neck and down my right upper arm and hand. Today a doctor tried to test my reflexes and found I didn't have one or it was heavily reduced when tapping me on the tricep/elbow of the affected arm. For the past 3 years I've always *felt* like my right arm is a bit "off". There has been burning and tingling in my hand/pinky finger and my upper arm has atrophied and is smaller in diameter than my left despite being the dominant arm.

The reflex has been present most of the time but has played up on occasion. So now I'm thinking there is something wrong with the nerves in my arm.

I've seen a neurologist who has suggested a nerve conduction study. She suggested it only as she felt it wouldn't change management. Has anyone ever had a nerve conduction study done?
I had nerve conduction studies done. Before I get to that, your situation sounds like its not exactly fun. With what I had done I still had the full sense of touch, no pain, just a complete lack of function. The nerve conduction study consisted of the electrode test on my good arm as a base line. They place the pads in various areas of (in my case) your arm then administer electric shocks to stimulate nerves. As an electrician I have copped much worse in the field so it wasn't unpleasant to me. Yes your arm will flinch or your hand will open or close or jump but it's all measured by some fancy machine. Then they do the bad side as a comparison. Same procedure. In my case there were the same results. The test was done again on my bad (left) arm and it was consistent so it was not damage as such I'd just managed to knock the nerve out cold. Apparently most patients hated the shock test which I found to be not terrible, but the next one I didn't like. Dunno what it's called, but they use a probe that's a needle that's really thin and then jab it into (again in my case) all the muscles in the affected arm. The needle probe I couldn't feel, but the shocks in all the muscles from my left shoulder individually tested to my left hand made a useless hand that simply didn't work turn into a useless hand and functional arm hurt. It was a fun hour and a half drive home in a 6 speed manual.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #65
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

Unhappy Re: Nerve damage

Quote:

I would definitely be asking for a MRI it's the only way to find the issue..didn't see I had a piece of disc and bone compressing the spinal cord.. It's not worth putting up with, I did for too long and could have been paralysed easily in one fall. Go MRI for sure
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #66
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchanDry View Post
I would definitely be asking for a MRI it's the only way to find the issue..didn't see I had a piece of disc and bone compressing the spinal cord.. It's not worth putting up with, I did for too long and could have been paralysed easily in one fall. Go MRI for sure
Thanks. I've had an MRI back when i first hurt myself, which showed a disc bulge at C6-67 with nerve root impingement on the central and left sides but interestingly the right side was fine. Perhaps i'm wired back to front as it would explain a lot of the symptoms i'm having.

I've since had a second one as I'm about to get a neurosurgeon's opinion but i haven't seen the results yet.

Old 15-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #67
Kicking back

After a month back at work, whilst most days I see minor improvement, but still I have off days like today. The wrist and hand are to the point where I can go all day and its fine (still not as strong as it used to be, but it only takes 3 days for muscles to start to break down, so I've got 6 weeks of deterioration to work through), I can also back it up day after day. Yesterday wasn't exactly labour intensive lifting wise but I was working by myself and had a few fiddly jobs but the hand was up for it. Today though was not a good day. 5:30 am start on site, but I had to pick up a trailer mount boom lift. Whatever, simple. What later on proved to be the problem was whilst the 1435kg trailer was well under the towing rating of the ute, with the jockey wheel as low as it could go, it's still higher then the tow ball on the ranger. Yes the ball has been flipped to the tongue is a high as possible. Getting the trailer on wasn't hard, fold the jockey wheel and the hitch is on. Getting the trailer off to use it (we were changing street lights so it was on and off all day to level the outriggers) the first time with the down weight the apprentice and I lifted it and realised someone had to fold the jockey wheel and also pull the hitch because being a silly American hitch you can't leave it up. 2 hours in my hand and wrist were toast. I couldn't even put a nut on a bolt with my left hand but had to hold the light fitting with my right. So under a degree of instruction I got my apprentice to do the work and I just supervised. All good and well, but the degree of difficulty to make the 90 minute trip home in stop start traffic was almost as high as when I couldn't use it, driving a manual. Worst part of all is its 5:30am tomorrow and I have to do it all again.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #68
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing I've learned with my issues is that you can improve as quickly as you can deteriorate. Don't get too down on it, tomorrow might be a completely different story.

Old 15-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #69
Kicking back

Quote:
The thing I've learned with my issues is that you can improve as quickly as you can deteriorate. Don't get too down on it, tomorrow might be a completely different story.
Its just a learning curve and an experience of a few months from a different perspective. To be honest I went back to work prematurely, but I was boored. The best rehab the doctors told me was simply to use it, and they agreed that work (I work with my hands) would give the best result.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #70
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its just a learning curve and an experience of a few months from a different perspective. To be honest I went back to work prematurely, but I was boored. The best rehab the doctors told me was simply to use it, and they agreed that work (I work with my hands) would give the best result.
That's great. Well that should give you the confidence that even on a bad day, you can still get your work done

Old 15-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #71
Kicking back

Quote:
That's great. Well that should give you the confidence that even on a bad day, you can still get your work done
A good tradesman never blames his tools. I to a degree rely on my apprentice who may not know everything (I don't expect him to, that's what doing an apprenticeship is for) but takes direction well and is coordinated. After the new phone cord I bought that not only charges my Samsung but also the work iPhone, the apprentice is one of the best tools I have. And he's not the biggest tool in the car. He's alright.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #72
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My own update. I was due to see my neurologist for a second visit on Wednesday. Unfortunately her rooms rang me the day before asking to cancel it as she was sick. Really not great as my neck has been a bugger for the last week. Anyway hoping to reschedule it really soon, but on the bright side I am seeing a surgeon for the first time next week. I'm at the point where if he offers a surgery, ill take it...

Old 15-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #73
Kicking back

Quote:
My own update. I was due to see my neurologist for a second visit on Wednesday. Unfortunately her rooms rang me the day before asking to cancel it as she was sick. Really not great as my neck has been a bugger for the last week. Anyway hoping to reschedule it really soon, but on the bright side I am seeing a surgeon for the first time next week. I'm at the point where if he offers a surgery, ill take it...
Thats an annoyance. In my experience neurologists typically have pretty long waiting lists. It was an 8 week wait to see the guy I saw, but through a few favours from various people, I got a next day consult and a week later tests done. It was my boss who pulled the favor and his dad is friends with people. I hope you don't get stuffed around and have to drop everything due to a cancellation but they manage the situation well and get you in asap.
Old 15-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #74
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats an annoyance. In my experience neurologists typically have pretty long waiting lists. It was an 8 week wait to see the guy I saw, but through a few favours from various people, I got a next day consult and a week later tests done. It was my boss who pulled the favor and his dad is friends with people. I hope you don't get stuffed around and have to drop everything due to a cancellation but they manage the situation well and get you in asap.
Yeah the initial appointment I got in pretty quickly, but that was only due to luck and being on a cancellation list. They said she would do a makeup day for her cancellations so hopefully it's not too long a wait.

Old 19-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #75
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I have a double header on Wednesday. Seeing a Neurosurgeon and the follow up with a Neurologist. I've dubbed it neuropalooza or neurovision.

Will update once i've seen them both.

Old 19-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #76
Kicking back

Quote:
So I have a double header on Wednesday. Seeing a Neurosurgeon and the follow up with a Neurologist. I've dubbed it neuropalooza or neurovision.

Will update once i've seen them both.
Nice mate that seemed pretty quick to get in. Hopefully you get conduction studies done in a timely manner, and action not long after. I still dont own life at 110%, but it still beats what seemed an eternity with what at the time I would consider a disability.
Old 19-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #77
burnz
VFII SS UTE

ulnar nerve been serviced last week, my arm would give Arnold Schwarzenegger a run for his money... a little black thou.. a little blood seeping threw the super glue, stings a lot when the arm is straighten..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #78
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
ulnar nerve been serviced last week, my arm would give Arnold Schwarzenegger a run for his money... a little black thou.. a little blood seeping threw the super glue, stings a lot when the arm is straighten..
Its an interesting experience having someone else effectively drive your body, whilst I wouldn't consider the shocks pleasant, they weren't terrible and definately didn't register on my pain scale. It's certainly an experience, that's for sure. Nothing worthy of making the bucket list.
Old 19-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #79
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
This was a nerve conduction study?

Old 20-06-2017, 02:10 AM   #80
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
This was a nerve conduction study?
the study was just electro shock therapy ha ha

I've had day surgery, glued together when 20+ stitches would be... black swollen lazy arm... only just driven my car yesterday since last Tuesday 13th..
Old 21-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #81
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So had my two appointments today, with the first an initial appt with a neurosurgeon and the second a follow up with a neurologist.

The surgeon seems to be doing the works. Another MRI of the neck showing flexion/extension, plus an MRI of the brachial plexus nerve, a nerve conduction study of my right arm and an X-ray of the neck... I'm getting that all done on the same day in early July.
It will be interesting to get the results.

The neurologist simply referred me onto a chronic pain specialist. Probably long overdue.

Old 26-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #82
leesa

Sorry to hear of your troubles .:4:., though I am glad to hear that you've made a lot of progress.

I just wanted to add that learning to play the piano might help you gain better dexterity and strength in your non-dominant hand, if you're interested in building it up. I was already semi-ambidextrous prior to playing piano but found it still helped a lot and I can now comfortably write, use a mouse or tools with either hand.

I'd even recommend it for people without injuries as it's a form of insurance if you do ever injure your dominant hand, you can just switch to your other.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #83
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles .:4:., though I am glad to hear that you've made a lot of progress.

I just wanted to add that learning to play the piano might help you gain better dexterity and strength in your non-dominant hand, if you're interested in building it up. I was already semi-ambidextrous prior to playing piano but found it still helped a lot and I can now comfortably write, use a mouse or tools with either hand.

I'd even recommend it for people without injuries as it's a form of insurance if you do ever injure your dominant hand, you can just switch to your other.
I do most things right handed anyway, thanks for the suggestion but I was already 1 step ahead even before I did my hand. I started playing percussion 23 years ago. Not just drum kit but but percussion in general, including a little bit of piano. It's always been too time consuming moving things around to suit being left handed so I've always just played drum kits that are set up for right handers.
Old 29-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #84
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chronic pain specialist's rooms got in touch with me for an appt on 31 July. Although it won't fix the cause it might at least ease the symptoms...

Old 29-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #85
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Chronic pain specialist's rooms got in touch with me for an appt on 31 July. Although it won't fix the cause it might at least ease the symptoms...
more likely test then recommend surgery...
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #86
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't be suprised if they insult you by saying its treatable with anti depressants. Nothing wrong with anti depressants but suggesting the pain is psychosomatic when the patients history includes a broken spine and severe trauma to surrounding muscle groups, is a little insulting. I take no pain killers as they just don't work. Each person needs to find their own solution. Mine is stretching, massage and exercise. I still have 'bad' days but probably no more than anybody else.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #87
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Don't be suprised if they insult you by saying its treatable with anti depressants. Nothing wrong with anti depressants but suggesting the pain is psychosomatic when the patients history includes a broken spine and severe trauma to surrounding muscle groups, is a little insulting. I take no pain killers as they just don't work. Each person needs to find their own solution. Mine is stretching, massage and exercise. I still have 'bad' days but probably no more than anybody else.
Yeah, the worst part of the medical industry is that kind of crap. I'm the same re: massage, exercise etc. but for me they are just hour to hour, bandaid fixes and i can't sleep at night. Anti Depressants i've already tried/am on due to the fact that the one I'm on helps with nerve pain slightly. I'm at the point where if a doctor or physio or surgeon appears useless/unhelpful ill just try another one. I'm fortunate that being in the medical industry myself I can tell when i'm being misled or having my time wasted.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #88
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, the worst part of the medical industry is that kind of crap. I'm the same re: massage, exercise etc. but for me they are just hour to hour, bandaid fixes and i can't sleep at night. Anti Depressants i've already tried/am on due to the fact that the one I'm on helps with nerve pain slightly. I'm at the point where if a doctor or physio or surgeon appears useless/unhelpful ill just try another one. I'm fortunate that being in the medical industry myself I can tell when i'm being misled or having my time wasted.
Agree with every point you've made. I am old enough to know when someone is pretending they're on top of it. One of the problems I have found with many GPs is the lack of knowledge on common ailments and their solution is whatever the computer matches up when the symptoms are entered. Then there is those who refuse to give any pain relief beyond over the counter codeine. Speaking of codeine, any truth to the rumours we will need a doctors prescription to get anything with codeine init from 2018?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #89
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Agree with every point you've made. I am old enough to know when someone is pretending they're on top of it. One of the problems I have found with many GPs is the lack of knowledge on common ailments and their solution is whatever the computer matches up when the symptoms are entered. Then there is those who refuse to give any pain relief beyond over the counter codeine. Speaking of codeine, any truth to the rumours we will need a doctors prescription to get anything with codeine init from 2018?
Yeah apparently. It's annoying these days that people can't be trusted with their own health and know what works best for them and their pain. Speaking of which I went to the doctor recently and had a talk about pain relief for those nights when sleep is almost impossible due to the pain. Because mine is chronic pain he has always been reluctant to prescribe anything with codeine or opioid based in it due to the risk of dependence. I totally get that and the last thing i need is a prescription drug problem, but I can't go on like this.

However he prescribed a new drug for me called Palexia which is similar in properties to Tramadol/Tramal but without its notorious side effects. So far it's working well and he said he is happy for me to take that regularly.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #90
ScotchanDry
Family XR8s in Grey

Back at work.. had 3 disc's removed from my neck, one plus some bone was compressing my spinal cord, all good after 6 weeks no income (self employed) walked 8 klm at 5.30 am going pretty good... Testing here new photo upload sites hope it works. POSTIMAGE
https://s26.postimg.cc/fxwkgfvux/FB_...9735797224.jpg
ScotchanDry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post