Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #31
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Great Wall is Back!!!!!

Don't forget a of ford parts are made in China I know for sure the famously made transmission heat exchangers are made in China.
My son-in-law bought a brand new Chinese made Parsun outboard motor and I checked them out and on their own site they say the are made from melted down drink cans.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #32
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brother had one of these as a work supplied vehicle (he was pushing for a hilux). He lived right near the river with only a large steep bank between the yard and the river. We put the boat in (just slid her down the bank) over the edge. A week or so later they shut the weir off so the water went down and we couldn't get the boat up due to the mud. I said no worries went and grabbed a rope and threw it down we lashed the Great Wall to the boat. I jumped in the ute, was in 4wd low. Chucked it in second and launched it (told him to sit in the boat and get a ride up, I said I'd go slow hahahaha) hit boost and then *pop and nothing. We lifted the bonnet and the turbo pipe had popped straight off. It wasn't even tight. We tightened it back up and it went better than before. The company had 2 other great wall utes and they had them tuned after everyone complained. All 3 had loose turbo pipes. Once tuned would tow 1.5t at 140km in 6th on the flat roads around home. Not a single other issue with all three though. His new ute us a triton and is better in every single way, still not as comfortable as the xr6 though
Old 31-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #33
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
That would be it, I don't most people know where their was built
People hated the Korean Daewoo, so put a Holden badge on it - solved.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #34
Chopped
as in chopped

The majority of Australians are patriotic until it comes time to get their wallets out....
Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #35
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1990 View Post
Brother had one of these as a work supplied vehicle (he was pushing for a hilux). He lived right near the river with only a large steep bank between the yard and the river. We put the boat in (just slid her down the bank) over the edge. A week or so later they shut the weir off so the water went down and we couldn't get the boat up due to the mud. I said no worries went and grabbed a rope and threw it down we lashed the Great Wall to the boat. I jumped in the ute, was in 4wd low. Chucked it in second and launched it (told him to sit in the boat and get a ride up, I said I'd go slow hahahaha) hit boost and then *pop and nothing. We lifted the bonnet and the turbo pipe had popped straight off. It wasn't even tight. We tightened it back up and it went better than before. The company had 2 other great wall utes and they had them tuned after everyone complained. All 3 had loose turbo pipes. Once tuned would tow 1.5t at 140km in 6th on the flat roads around home. Not a single other issue with all three though. His new ute us a triton and is better in every single way, still not as comfortable as the xr6 though
That pipe that popes off must be a one of them things that should of been done at the first service, my brothers popped off on Fraser Island.

From what I have found on the new Colorado is that top gear is a bit to high, even when nothing is in the back, sitting on 100KM/H she keeps dropping down to 90 if you don't watch it, so the cruise control comes in handy, even thou it did not come standard with cruise control
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #36
sleepisforthedead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
We have one in our fleet. It is 4 years old and has done 80,000k.

Never broke down and basically did everything asked of it.

The gear box is notchy (getting notchier) and the air conditioning condensor died 6 months ago, took about a month to order in the replacement.

But it's time to say goodbye to it. Not getting another Great Wall.

Air con shop mustn't know what they're doing.. Rodeo ones fit with a small modification and are cheaper to boot
XD - XE Ghia front, Arrow block - 427ci, Howards billet rods, CHI 225's, Active high rise, Transbraked C4 - full manual reverse pattern valvebody, 9" Strange alloy centre 4.11's & spool, 17x4.5 Drag Stars & 15x10 Weld ProStars, Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers F&R, Calvert Racing split mono-leaf springs Caltracs and adjustable shocks, 90/10's and custom springs up front.. all just an expensive pile of parts in a shed.
sleepisforthedead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #37
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i see a whole bunch of Great wall around my area and i have worked out the people who buy then have lost the will to live, they drive slow, don't indicate and can't park to save their life.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I refuse to laugh.

I can't be the only one old enough to remember the laughter, the derision, the jokes about the first Korean cars from Hyundai back in the eighties...the jokes about reliability, safety, made of tin cans, horribly designed, cheaply made, etc...

Some of us here might even be old enough to remember the same laughter and hatred of those funny new Jap cars in the mid to late sixties...much the same stuff that was said about Korean cars a couple of decades later.

Beware what will happen when China gets it's act together...
Not sure why people keep saying this, like it is somehow elucidatory.
Korean cars were really ****. Somebody who bought a Korean car in the 80's wasn't visionary or ahead of their time, they were just a cheap idiot.
Cars built in Japan are still better than those made in Korea, but those made in Thailand are probably on par or worse. Kia don't offer a 7 year warranty because their products are superior to Mazda, but because they need to overcome their poor reputation.

Great Walls are ****. Maybe one day they won't be, but again buying one now doesn't make someone a futurist, just a gullible prat.

If Toyota could build one of their state of the art factories in China, train the workforce to their standard, with Japanese supervision and QA/QC. Then no doubt the product would be of the same standard. (Although they haven't yet quite managed it in Thailand.) Problem with that is that Chinese have long memories and understandably still hate the Japanese with a passion.

We also have to remember that Australia is a very small market for most companies. Often what we get is simply a tarted-up version of the same junk they sell in Asia. They COULD make a better car, but why bother when they can make more money selling junk.

The other problem is resale. Unless you plan to keep your car for at least 10 years, this has to be a factor. Which means it doesn't matter if YOU think Great Wall is the duck's balls, what matter is that the market thinks they're rubbish.
5 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #39
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Technical conbtributions 

I saw one of these new "Great"walls today on Forester Rd, I think the new main office is nearby, at least they have tried to improve the styling of the last ones, Still not the best looking, but better looking than some other cars on the road.
Sam1112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #40
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Needed a vehicle whilst on site, and the bloke from Cube said here borrow mine. I didn't even realise what it was until I climbed out wondering what on earth this POS was.

Trying to select 3rd gear was pot-luck. 1st was managed by shoving it over into the passengers lap before going forwards, whilst 5th required the opposite. But trying to hit 3rd would yield any of the three.

The clutch did nothing for the first 6 inches of travel, then suddenly engaged. The throttle pedal had only about half an inch of travel, which was ok because foot to the floor is the only usable position. The diesel engine was completely gutless until 2,500rpm when it suddenly kicked in and surged, and 3,500rpm was threatening to shake the teeth out of my head.

And the steering? A full eighth of a turn before suddenly lurching in a new direction.

There's no question the Hilux remains over-priced, but why would anybody choose a Great Wall over something like a D-Max?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #41
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Needed a vehicle whilst on site, and the bloke from Cube said here borrow mine. I didn't even realise what it was until I climbed out wondering what on earth this POS was.

Trying to select 3rd gear was pot-luck. 1st was managed by shoving it over into the passengers lap before going forwards, whilst 5th required the opposite. But trying to hit 3rd would yield any of the three.

The clutch did nothing for the first 6 inches of travel, then suddenly engaged. The throttle pedal had only about half an inch of travel, which was ok because foot to the floor is the only usable position. The diesel engine was completely gutless until 2,500rpm when it suddenly kicked in and surged, and 3,500rpm was threatening to shake the teeth out of my head.

And the steering? A full eighth of a turn before suddenly lurching in a new direction.

There's no question the Hilux remains over-priced, but why would anybody choose a Great Wall over something like a D-Max?
Cube or Qube? Anyrate my manager just got a dmax that's one of the higher end ones and its pretty nice. It's nicer then my pov pack single cab ranger, but in saying that the ranger is slow but easy to drive and the trim is pretty good considering it was 16k cheaper brand new.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

And I think that sort of question sums up why the Chinese car makers haven't taken off in this market. There just isn't enough price difference between something like a Great Wall and an established, well known brand. Why buy a experiment from the Chinese when for not much more you can have a Nissan or Mitsubishi with a dealer on every corner and generous warranty?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #43
flightstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
When Chinese cars become as good as Japanese cars then more people may like them.
A work mate bought a Great Wall SUV few years ago. After owning it for a year I asked how it was going and he said he was sick of taking it back for warranty work. Nothing major, just little things falling off it. Door handle was one of the things I remember him saying.
The only other car I have driven that the door handle has come off was American, and 7 years old.
The girlfriends SY Territory has had 3 door handles replaced.....

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #44
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
People hated the Korean Daewoo, so put a Holden badge on it - solved.
When I first saw the Daewoo in the mid 90s (I think they were the Daewoo Cielo and Daewoo Mussolini 4WD) , I thought they were either made in China , or made in North Korea. The styling was just atrocious, and they disappeared from the roads after a few years, indicating the quality ...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #45
IanC

You would have to have a huge discount to buy a Great Wall new but it might be ok secondhand when they will practically have to pay people to take them away.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #46
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all.. . I actually know someone whose boss bought a Great Wall a few years ago as a farm vehicle for him to use. Chris hated it even though he tried very hard to use it and it was brand spanking new ..Enough said..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #47
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR815 View Post
Aussies don't want chinese rubbish.. they want reasonable value and that is why they go to Nissan and Mitsubishi.. a few grand more gives so much more. Chery has packed up and left too.
37,000 people in Australia don't agree with you.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #48
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
They can't be much worse than the Ranger my work have given me...

What????. No takers on this one lol.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #49
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
37,000 people in Australia don't agree with you.
I wonder if another 37,000 el cheapo's will buy this piece of cheap junk that'll litter the trade yards in a few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UQ-F7Ubvk ...C'mon Australia , we deserve better...or do we ?
Then Mahindra from India...Rubbish from the dump of the world exported here for us suckers to buy.
Feast your eyes on this crap from the land of the bad tempered cricketers. Good curry ..Crappy cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvPKOscj53I

Last edited by roddy1960; 14-08-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #50
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I wonder if another 37,000 el cheapo's will buy this piece of cheap junk that'll litter the trade yards in a few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UQ-F7Ubvk ...C'mon Australia , we deserve better...or do we ?
Then Mahindra from India...Rubbish from the dump of the world exported here for us suckers to buy.
Feast your eyes on this crap from the land of the bad tempered cricketers. Good curry ..Crappy cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvPKOscj53I
It didn't stop Australians buying Japanese crap in the 1960s or Korean Crap in the 1980s. The Chinese will improve in the coming decades. You probably have house full of Chinese made electronic appliances like most people.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 09:10 PM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Brother does not want rubbish but could not afford the others.
People are paying way to much for 4x4's it's a rip off.
They are if they're buying a hilux or ranger.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #52
.:4:.
Kicking back

Most they great walls I see around are not private buyers but companies that no doubt get them on leases. I was speaking to a handyman who had one for 24 months as a company car and his only complaints were 1st gear was too long and the brakes were rubbish. The ranger my company Supplied me is over all a much nicer care in base model form but it obviously was a bit more expensive as a single cab with a tub over a tray back single cab great Wall.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #53
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The Japanese, and to a lesser extent, Korean car makers rose to the top when consumer expectations towards safety, reliability and build quality were lower. Nor did they have the intense, instant scrutiny from the internet and media. So in a way these companies had time to get their act together to the point where they are now industry benchmarks. The Chinese companies are trying to do the same thing its just that consumer expectations are much higher and not tolerable poor scores across important criteria.

As mentioned, unless its significantly discounted to cover the resale shortfall, don't reward or fund the Chinese development process. And whilst the argument could be that we already support a wide range of Chinese made goods, the iconic iPhone for example, but a car is a vastly more complex product and it takes decades to hone those skills.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #54
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It didn't stop Australians buying Japanese crap in the 1960s or Korean Crap in the 1980s. The Chinese will improve in the coming decades. You probably have house full of Chinese made electronic appliances like most people.
Maybe , maybe not..It's cars we're talking about though not TV's or mix masters with greatest respect.
The cheap price , so that people can say they bought a 'new car' is probably behind the bulk of the sales I suspect.
Bottom line for those who really think about what they're buying should be faith in getting the job done.. Just on the review I added alone the Great Wall Steed has made some inroads compared to the previous models but the reviewer suggested that it may be better to spend an extra 10 grand for a Mitsubishi or something that would offer a lot more scope .
I agree that Great Wall should get better over time but whether they actually will is probably not certain by any means just yet.
Well known brands tried and tested in this market sector even as moderate kilometres second hand would be more appealing to me for the moment I think if I was looking for a Dual cab vehicle .
I hope anyone buying a Steed or similar do so with both eyes wide open and don't just get lulled by the bargain basement price..
Old 15-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #55
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, yeah it did.
There will always be idiots who buy cheap rubbish.
Logically, anything has the potential to be a great buy, at the right price.
The problem at the bottom-end of the market always seems to be vehicles that are absolute junk, but priced only marginally cheaper than something halfway decent.
But Japanese manufacturers did not start to dominate until their quality improved, so too with Korean.
Logically, Chinese manufacturers will get there eventually, and every vehicle on an Australian minesite will be made in China. Its just unfortunate that by then the rest of you won't be able to afford cars anyway because there won't be any jobs left.

But again, if you were talking about buying shares in the company, then absolutely go and buy some Gheeli stock. Your grandkids will thank you. But don't waste your money buying their products.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #56
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...THIS IS HILARIOUS ...Watch it and keep a straight face I dare you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClV2eQuj8VM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8LlRR5vltU

What if the Zing Ping Eagle or similar appears one day at something that looks like a Falcon...Ya never ever know what the Chinese will copy next.
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-08-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 19-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #57
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next year china will build close to 30 million vehicles.
Australia will build none. Guess who the idiots are.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #58
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yeah, yeah it did.
There will always be idiots who buy cheap rubbish.
Logically, anything has the potential to be a great buy, at the right price.
The problem at the bottom-end of the market always seems to be vehicles that are absolute junk, but priced only marginally cheaper than something halfway decent.
But Japanese manufacturers did not start to dominate until their quality improved, so too with Korean.
Logically, Chinese manufacturers will get there eventually, and every vehicle on an Australian minesite will be made in China. Its just unfortunate that by then the rest of you won't be able to afford cars anyway because there won't be any jobs left.

But again, if you were talking about buying shares in the company, then absolutely go and buy some Gheeli stock. Your grandkids will thank you. But don't waste your money buying their products.
Well there must be plenty of idiots out there, Syndrome comment is very true.

It is manufacturers like these that has caused the demise of our car industry, think about it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post