Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WA rego etc

Have a daughter starting new life in WA, her car is currently registered in my name in SA
When she goes to change ownership and register it does it need inspection or anything?.....if so bye bye little Carnival.")
Old 20-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
xa_jg66

Default Re: WA rego etc

My understanding is an inspection will be required because she has not owned the car for more than 2 years. Had it been in her name it would just need a transfer into WA rego.

ED XR8 SPRINT: Cobalt Blue, Manual, Premium Sound.

Previous Fords:
Blueprint 2003 GT-P Manual
Lemans Red 1992 EB XR8 Manual
Cardinal Red 1993 EB Fairmont Ghia 5L 5 speed conversion
Lemans Red 1992 XR8 Auto
Silver 1991 EB Fairmont 5L auto
Poly Green 1994 ED XR8 Sprint Manual
White 1995 EF XR8 Manual
1976 XC Fairmont 351
xa_jg66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't transfer it into her name yet!!!!!!!!

If it has had SA rego in your name for more than 12 months, just transfer to WA rego while still in your name (no inspection needed if you have owned it longer than 12months). Then transfer into her name at a later date (no inspection needed, may not even have to pay stamp duty - don't quote me on that last bit).

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licen...interstate.asp
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if a car is living in SA then it has to be registered within 3 months.

Can someone confirm this.
If the same applies in WA we are shot the van wont pass inspection.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
ESPJG32

Hi Mate

Have a discussion with Licensing in WA in 2009 I bought a new FG Gt in Bris, had it lic there as the stamp duty was half what was in WA trucked it to WA and was told that as long as it was under 12 months old - no inspection - took the plates in and put our private plates on it no issue - that would indicate that over 12 months would require an inspection - yes I believe the 3 months rule applies in WA also.
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post

If it has had SA rego in your name for more than 12 months, just transfer to WA rego while still in your name (no inspection needed if you have owned it longer than 12months). Then transfer into her name at a later date (no inspection needed, may not even have to pay stamp duty - don't quote me on that last bit).

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

However, Dept of Transport might need you to sign paperwork in Perth?

Although, how hard would it be to put it through an inspection?
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets put it this way, ex hubby got in one of his sh**y moods and tried to alter the front body work with his car. Front end has major damage to bumper, wheel arches (both) and side steps both sides.

I am not putting any more money into it and she wont have the $$ to get it repaired. So hopefully she can fly under the radar, her new partner is a good good man so maybe he will work something out.
Old 21-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

In that case, see if there's the relevant form on the WA DOT web site that you can download, print and sign before your daughter brings the car to Perth.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 21-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
stock1991
Limited supply

WA closest neighbour , is SA
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Opps she is already there.

I have sent email to WA Dept transport outlining without giving details, interesting to see what they say.

Of course if it stays in my name, Iam libel for her consistant parking tickets.

Thinking along these lines....wonder if I keep it in my name but change to WA address they may get curious about not changing licence when in reality I am still in SA>
Old 22-07-2017, 01:17 AM   #11
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to email, all info is in the link I put up. No need to change to WA address, they don't care unless you stop paying your rego. Just download the form (or get your daughter to fill out the form), post it to you, sign it, send it back to her, job done.
Old 28-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post

I'm not understanding this 12 months thing.

My sister went and lived in Victoria for a while and when she came back in ~2005 her car had to go back over the pits. Despite being bought new in WA originally.

Have they changed the rules?

I'm reasonably sure she didn't pay any stamp duty. 'Twas a long time ago...

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
HBWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

My sister went and lived in Victoria for a while and when she came back in ~2005 her car had to go back over the pits. Despite being bought new in WA originally.

I'm reasonably sure she didn't pay any stamp duty. 'Twas a long time ago...
if she proved she's had it since new and paid the relevant stamp duty in every state the cars been regoed in it just need a id check
ps its 16 months now of ownership (it a loop hole alot are using to get cars that are perfectly safe and legal over east regoed in wa and our stupid laws)
71 xy wagon
05 xr8 RTV
69 f100 ambo future skid pig
HBWC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

It changed in the late 2000s.

Eastern states cars tend to go through 12 monthly checks anyway.

And, with the mining boom developing (at the time), Dept of Transport resources were getting stretched.

There were lots and lots of people moving to WA from over east, creating an excessive demand for inspections.
www.cabloid.com.au
Old 28-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Not up on WA specifics.

But most states require you to register the car in the state it is garaged, (even the town in QLD), though in reality this hardly ever gets checked so long as rego is paid in the "plate" state and it is not un registered nobody really cares. I have cars from several states outside my business owned by employees.

If there is a reason for police to check things, accident, tickets etc, you may just get another fine...though saying I only moved last week usually works on this as well.

But Tonz will be liable for tolls, camera tickets etc as the registered owner.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #16
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #17
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister moved to Sydney for 4 years, took her WA regoed Corolla. Each time the rego papers came through I just forwarded them to her. She got pulled up a couple times and she just said she was going home in a couple months and they left it at that. They don't care unless you do something wrong, they haven't got the time to chase it up.

From their website:

A vehicle may be licensed in Western Australia without requiring an examination, if:
  • It is a light vehicle. (i.e. tare weight/aggregate weight less than 4,500 kg), and
  • Proof of the vehicle tare weight/aggregate weight is provided, and
  • It is currently licensed in another Australian State or Territory, and
  • It is currently licensed under your name either;
    • For a continuous period of at least 12 months, or
    • If it is less than 12 months old and you provide proof that you are the first licence holder from new, and
  • The vehicle has an approved immobiliser fitted (unless it is a motorcycle, trailer or caravan), and
  • The vehicle is unmodified, or has been issued with a valid modification permit, or has a modification that does not require approval, and
  • It does not require an annual examination, and
  • It is not conditionally licensed (ie) the vehicle must be fully compliant with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) and must meet the requirements to be licensed as a Class A vehicle in Western Australia without any conditions.
Old 29-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
It changed in the late 2000s.

Eastern states cars tend to go through 12 monthly checks anyway.

And, with the mining boom developing (at the time), Dept of Transport resources were getting stretched.

There were lots and lots of people moving to WA from over east, creating an excessive demand for inspections.
That explains it. Thanks.

They're all heading back now..

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #19
flightstrike

Didn't need an inspection for my '10 FG in W.A about two years ago. Registered as per jstanovics' post.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post