Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #331
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Ecoboost whats the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I'm still surprised a little 1.4 petrol FWD Volkswagen Tiguan has a higher tow rating than a Ecoboost Falcon, really Ecoboost should have been all the benefits of a large six without compromise - 700kg reduction in tow rating is a compromise.
obviously due to the ecoboost getting the baby zf gearbox. it will still tow most things with ease. the maximum unbraked towing capacity is now only 500kg i believe. maybe different states have different rules.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #332
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To tow with a BMW you get the X5..Benz its the Gelander Wagon ...
IF Ford had the F150 here, you could tow 3500kg or the F350 5000kgs!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #333
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
which was? i don't think anyone was claiming ford were on the same pitch as bmw. the point being made was a car that was traditionally a 6cyl was still being accepted even though its a 4cyl. a situation that is now applicable to ford and falcon.
Yes, and I was saying how good the 4 cylinder turbo is in the BMW, quoting performance and economy figures, then comparing it to the Falcon's. I then added that while the Ecoboost was a good start, more needs to be done to get it inline with the likes of BMW etc. A perfectly valid argument and conversation.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #334
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whether people tow or not, it can still be a selling feature. Australia has one of the highest rates of vehicle towing in the world, many car companies like Volvo, BMW, VW and Mercedes go to the expense of accrediting vehicles bound for Australia and not bother with much larger US or European markets, even Subaru has modifications done in Japan for Aussie cars and the only reason the hybrid Camry has a tow rating at all is because of the Australian market. Heck even Mitsubishi re engineered the entire rear end of the 380 to tow as the base US Galant doesnt.

I'm still surprised a little 1.4 petrol FWD Volkswagen Tiguan has a higher tow rating than a Ecoboost Falcon, really Ecoboost should have been all the benefits of a large six without compromise - 700kg reduction in tow rating is a compromise.
Just because a car can tow a certain amount, doesn't mean it can, or you should, lol. New Colorado has a 2.8 4 cylinder diesel with 132kw/470Nm, but has a towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes. Would you really want to tow 3.5 tonnes with it? The Navara ST550 with the 3L V6 which has 170kW/550Nm only has 3 tonne towing, and that's about all you'd want to tow with it too.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #335
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm still surprised a little 1.4 petrol FWD Volkswagen Tiguan has a higher tow rating than a Ecoboost Falcon
I'm surprised that this thread is so long.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #336
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
I knew someone would mention this.

Apples for Apples then:

G6 Ecoboost = 179kW/353Nm, 0-100km/h = 7.1s, mid 15s quarter mile @ 90mph, 8.5L/100km - 1674kgs.

528i = 180kW/350Nm, 0-100km/h = 6.3s, mid 14s quarter mile @ 98mph, 6.8L/100km - 1620kgs.

The BMW also tows 2 tonne compared to the Ecoboost 1600kgs (not that anyone really cares about this).

I'll wait for the obligatory dribble about how much more expensive the BMW is etc. My point was to illustrate to the people talking about the Falcon being on the same pitch as the BMW 5 series, that it is not. And also to illustrate that while it's a good start for Falcon, this engine, there's still a lot of work to be done with transmissions and weight reduction.
It has NOTHING to do with comparing BMW to Falcon. It is about comparing the buying habits of I6 BMW customers to I4T BMW customers. Falcon has now taken this same approach, lets wait & see what happens. Anyone trying to compare spec's of BWM to Falcon has completely missed the point!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #337
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

But you said you did when you shopped the 5 against the XR6T. And it's spelt BMW, not BWM. It's in all of your posts...
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #338
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Who cares about BMW's?

Ford now have Falcon that is now an option in for fleets with cylinder limits, has cheaper rego in some states.

sheesh...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #339
leighm

A pretty pointless move, just should have put the Territory diesel in it. The dev was already done, would have cost a lot less and achieved far better fuel economy without the stigma of a slow 4 cyl in a big car.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #340
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #341
prydey
Rob

time to hop off. getting dizzy
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #342
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
But you said you did when you shopped the 5 against the XR6T. And it's spelt BMW, not BWM. It's in all of your posts...
Yeah, I suggust you go back & read them & the posts that my commetns are in referrence too.. Dont confuse 2 different posts in reference to 2 different things in 2 different topics!! Stop trying to cause crap for no reason!!

You you dont like EB4 or Falcon or Ford, dont but them... Like seriously!! Ford has released a top of line product & some people are just never happy..

Last edited by Joe5619; 03-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #343
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighm
A pretty pointless move, just should have put the Territory diesel in it. The dev was already done, would have cost a lot less and achieved far better fuel economy without the stigma of a slow 4 cyl in a big car.
Guess what ..... so was EcoBoost The rest of the reasons are spread though out these pages

If after all these pages peoples cant work out what the point is ..... they wont be getting the point.

What's it all about????

CHOICE

Don't like, don't buy.
Just really really really such a basic concept to understand

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 03-06-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Closed Thread