Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #91
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Re: 476kw LS9 HSV GTS-R....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
170k is laughable. More expensive than an M4, C63 etc.
If it sells then it isn't laughable. If FPV made an FG-X GT-HO with the 5.8L Trinity pumping out 493kw and all the requisite chassis upgrades to handle the power, we all here would be circle jerking something fierce. And so we should be, just like Holden fans will be. This will be the best and final car ever made in Australia.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #92
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
If it sells then it isn't laughable. If FPV made an FG-X GT-HO with the 5.8L Trinity pumping out 493kw and all the requisite chassis upgrades to handle the power, we all here would be circle jerking something fierce. And so we should be, just like Holden fans will be. This will be the best and final car ever made in Australia.
Exactly.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #93
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last hipo aussie v8. It will sell for whatever they ask, and collectors will get their money back and then some in 30 years, just like they did on GTHO's.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #94
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The last hipo aussie v8. It will sell for whatever they ask, and collectors will get their money back and then some in 30 years, just like they did on GTHO's.
It still hasn't happened with the VS GTS-R as you can now buy them for half the original outlay.

What something will be worth in time is such a fickle thing I'd hate to be gambling my money on it.

And giving almost all will be garage queens unlike most of the well used race bred GTHO's you'd have to think there will be too many pristine examples locked away to help push the collectability price up.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #95
f6_mark

[QUOTE=LoudPipes;5852654]It still hasn't happened with the VS GTS-R as you can now buy them for half the original outlay.

They were 76k when they were new or 86k if you ticked the blueprint engine option. I would love to know where I could get one for under 40k.
f6_mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #96
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That new green colour on the GtsR looks sick!

fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #97
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
It still hasn't happened with the VS GTS-R
It wasn't the last.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #98
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I would buy one if I was a "cashed up" bogan, rather than just the relatively povvo bogan I am.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #99
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
It still hasn't happened with the VS GTS-R as you can now buy them for half the original outlay.
Have you seen any selling for half the original price ie sub 40k?

If you have or know of one for that money PM me please
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #100
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These ones went last year, for quite a bit more than $40k...

https://www.australianmusclecarsales...-build-no.html
https://www.australianmusclecarsales...modore-77.html
Old 13-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #101
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
Have you seen any selling for half the original price ie sub 40k?

If you have or know of one for that money PM me please
Surely there are only a handful of fools lining up to drop nearly six figures on these over rated things? Save a house desposit and pick up the better looking senator instead.
They were/are nothing special to warrant the asking prices for them in recent times. A **** factor rear wing, stand out colour and carbon fibre bits... And power level the same as that on a base model BMW 540i or MB E420.
Their asking prices (same as EB, EL GT, BF Cobra) have ridden on the wave of the boom for the classic Bathurst legends... Something the GTS-R isn't.

Fair to say that Aussie muscle started to up its game with the AU and VT series 2, to now where the VF is a viable alternative to some of the Euro stuff. Safe bet HSVs send off model will be more sought after than everything post Group A before it.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #102
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Surely there are only a handful of fools lining up to drop nearly six figures on these over rated things? Save a house desposit and pick up the better looking senator instead.
They were/are nothing special to warrant the asking prices for them in recent times. A **** factor rear wing, stand out colour and carbon fibre bits... And power level the same as that on a base model BMW 540i or MB E420.
Their asking prices (same as EB, EL GT, BF Cobra) have ridden on the wave of the boom for the classic Bathurst legends... Something the GTS-R isn't.

Fair to say that Aussie muscle started to up its game with the AU and VT series 2, to now where the VF is a viable alternative to some of the Euro stuff. Safe bet HSVs send off model will be more sought after than everything post Group A before it.
I had a VS Senator. I was a bit of a VS tragic hence I like the old GTSR.
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #103
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
I had a VS Senator. I was a bit of a VS tragic hence I like the old GTSR.
Me too. I was a kid when the old man had VN-VS, and have a soft spot for them. But $70k plus for the GTSR, stupid money, no justification behind it.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #104
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT
Exciting times at HSV for the moment until the commodore is gone, will be interesting to see the performance times..
I'm sure HSV will claim some BS time, but in reality there's a fair chance it will just be a wheel spinning nightmare off the line. I would expect in the real world that times will only match the GTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
A close friend works at a HSV dealership in inner Melbourne. He pulled out a 2 page list of people who had handed him deposits for one last time I saw him. There was over 30 names, he said only the first 4 will be getting one if they're lucky. I'd definitely buy one! Same goes for a W427 though.
Just like the W427, they had hundreds of deposits but ended up only selling half what they planned cause they all baulked at the 120k asking price. If this is 170k watch the same thing happen here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #105
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when someone in our then-suburb bought one of those GTS-R's brand new.

His house would have not cost that much more (I suppose maybe double that of the GTS-R).

In today's perspective, that's sort of like owning a $1m house, and having a $500k car.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #106
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

One was spotted today in tow on the way to Lara for some testing id say, i cant find the article though, but there was a picture in it.
Edit- found it
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...g-with-no-camo

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #107
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
One was spotted today in tow on the way to Lara for some testing id say, i cant find the article though, but there was a picture in it.
Edit- found it

I think that's the Gen F 3 Clubby and not th GTS r
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #108
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
I think that's the Gen F 3 Clubby and not th GTS r
Well there you go, i dont follow em too closely so assumed it was. It actually wasnt the article i found. There was a white car with camo on the rear being towed.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #109
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Until the VT2 HSV the GTS-R was top dog for power for four years in the HSV world. Thats a long time. Imo it's got the best interior and the best engine Holden created in that decade. Never mind Euro power numbers because they're nothing a like. Strokers were the **** and still are.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #110
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Edit- found it

They don't test Holdens in Lara.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #111
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
They don't test Holdens in Lara.
Oh well where ever it was going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Well said, saying 170 will be laughable is just stupid in my eyes. Last one ever, last of the breed blah blah.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #112
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Edit- found it

The rear bumper looks very Civic Type-Rish.
I like it but not in that colour though.
Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #113
cro142

A lot of would-be "investors" are going to be badly, badly burned in buying last Falcons and HSV's for future profits.

Even if they get more than they paid, it can still easily be a major loss after counting costs and inflation against other better investments.

Even a GTHO bought in 1971 for $5K and sold for $500K today would struggle to match a similar property investment. If you count paying no rent for 45+ years, then the GTHO is a dead loss. I bought my first house in 1972 for $6,600, now it's worth $500K.

It is unlikely any future aussie car will perform as an investment as well as the HO has done - this happened for special reasons, probably never to be repeated.

Buy one of these last cars to flog and enjoy for a few years, then sell it for 40% of what you paid, and you will be in front compared to mothballing it and getting no pleasure from it.

Ho Hum.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2017, 01:57 AM   #114
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Fools don't have that sort of money.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #115
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Edit- found it

That's a different style 'vent' on the front guard isn't it?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #116
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
A lot of would-be "investors" are going to be badly, badly burned in buying last Falcons and HSV's for future profits.

Even if they get more than they paid, it can still easily be a major loss after counting costs and inflation against other better investments.

Even a GTHO bought in 1971 for $5K and sold for $500K today would struggle to match a similar property investment. If you count paying no rent for 45+ years, then the GTHO is a dead loss. I bought my first house in 1972 for $6,600, now it's worth $500K.

It is unlikely any future aussie car will perform as an investment as well as the HO has done - this happened for special reasons, probably never to be repeated.

Buy one of these last cars to flog and enjoy for a few years, then sell it for 40% of what you paid, and you will be in front compared to mothballing it and getting no pleasure from it.

Ho Hum.
Yeah you make valid points, but
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #117
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post

Ho Hum.
Yep and if you left that money untouched in a term deposit for 45 years you would have even more.

Buying cars in the hope that they will make money over time is nothing but a folly. Most if not all would also need a full rebuild/restoration in that timeframe too.

The only ones who will make money are the manufacturers themselves.

The only car I can think of that would give good gains is the Phase 4...good luck with that.

PS. You must have had a small house, in 1972 we paid $17,000 for 3 bedrooms in the Perth nthn suburbs.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #118
cro142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
PS. You must have had a small house, in 1972 we paid $17,000 for 3 bedrooms in the Perth nthn suburbs.

Yep, it was a small house in outer Brisbane - 9 squares of high-set Fibro 3 bed, base quality spec house. Basically a dump, even when new. The same type of house sold for $17,000 about 12 months later when inflation started to hit.

Nonetheless, that little dump is now worth $500K - mostly location and land value.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2017, 11:03 PM   #119
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Yep and if you left that money untouched in a term deposit for 45 years you would have even more.

Buying cars in the hope that they will make money over time is nothing but a folly. Most if not all would also need a full rebuild/restoration in that timeframe too.

The only ones who will make money are the manufacturers themselves.

The only car I can think of that would give good gains is the Phase 4...good luck with that.

Speaking of investments , if someone bought 5000 bitcoins in June 2009 (about $0.50 worth) they would be worth 4,000,000 right now.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #120
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not sure if posted before but just saw this on fullboost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhD73M-rxZs
stock 479kw makes 337rwkw thats about a 30% drivetrain loss
still a great number but along way off the flywheel number
i know its got bigger driveshafts and bigger diff but still

speaking of investments they are only worthwhile if you actually sell the thing, keeping a car as an investment is crazy. i'm keeping 2 of my toys until i die, the first is my 1of1 BA GT that maybe i could double my money in 10 years maybe not and the other is my wes cooley GS1000S, i could sell and triple my money now but i want to use them and enjoy them. if i have a 479kw GTS-R in my garage i'd go crazy if i couldn't drive the wheels off it
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: