Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #61
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
This is very interesting info to see tested and isnt at hard to believe as it seems. I take it as a game of veliocity vs volume and, in this case, it looks like velocity is the winner. Can I ask what sort of differences were seen? Are we talking 1rwkw or 5rwkw? Just curious as this is something I remember discussing with you guys ages ago about the "restrictive" std AU I6 intake piping and the fact that it wasnt restrictive at all (well, at least to 150rwkw where you tested it).

More info please.. I'm very interested in looking at this in more detail.

I love this.. another AU I6 tuning house that is doing the hard yards for us
Correct but it is unusual to see a small gain or even a loss by inlarging the intake on most engines.We saw a loss of only a few kw at the time of testing.I wan't to revisit this test though with our new tuning tools & I'll document it for all to see.We may come up with something that works with further testing.We even tested an enlarged throttle body on a 150 rwkw AU recently & saw not 1 KW gain.I think that the factory intake manifold design & inlet tract up to the air box is a fairly well designed thing.I will say that at G&D you will find that we don't beat around the bush,if something doesn't work we'll tell you rather than sell an inferior product that doesn't work just to gain profit or looks.Honesty goes a long way,it's been a great recipe for success for us over the last 27 years of buisiness.
G&D PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #62
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
.We even tested an enlarged throttle body on a 150 rwkw AU recently & saw not 1 KW gain.
I was there for that one, and i was hoping for some sort of gain.
Took the T/B straight back with the dyno sheet, the guy who made it gave me a refund, it was sold on the proviso it made some k/w gain and it didn't.
He isn't porting and polishing i6 T/B's any more.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #63
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
We even tested an enlarged throttle body on a 150 rwkw AU recently & saw not 1 KW gain.I think that the factory intake manifold design & inlet tract up to the air box is a fairly well designed thing.
G&D the throttle body on the AU is just as big as many american v8's.

What do you guys think is an attainable figure for rwkws from an inline six.I always believed that the reference was 1 horsepower per cubic inch.In theory we should be getting aroud 245 horsepower/182 rwkws .It seems that most are stuck at around 150rwkws.Something is holding most cars back...

Also I think that throttle body cannot improve on a situation when say the intake manifold may benefit from some extrude porting as well as the the head.What do you guys think?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #64
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

useless the AU the T/B was tested on had some very nice head work already done to it.
The head came from G&D PERFORMANCE.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #65
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thats fine .But if the broadband manifold is not flowing optimally maybe its a bottle neck? The inline six also has 6 throttle plates in the way of each of the intake runners.Even when fully open surely this must create more restriction than over a no butterfly runner.Dont you think?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 12-02-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #66
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Honesty goes a long way,it's been a great recipe for success for us over the last 27 years of buisiness.
Honesty like that will win you a lot of business... mine included. JMM have been exceptional to me... you guys appear to fall into the same exceptional catagory.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #67
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black pig
I might be wrong. But I thought the idea of freeing up the induction side is to get more air through the heads easier/faster. And so, if you don't open up the exhaust side with an effective set of extractors and a low resistance exhaust system to clear the extra gas faster, then I doubt you'd see much benefit from a better induction pipe.

just a thought

b. pig
I've got a pod & K&N filter in the shed which I might refit but I don't think they filter the air as well. The only difference I felt with the 3" intake pipe was when the pod filter was fitted the motor was hitting the rev limiter faster while the gears were held.It might have gave me a few rwkw if I had of fitted it but their a pest to remove if you want to test filters on the dyno.
While some might remove their filters for a few more rwkw on the dyno it's not how you would drive the car normally so I would not do it. I think giving a run over the 1/4 mile to really see if the intake fitted with different a/filters alters any times i.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #68
rodderz

Would there be any gain from swapping the battery and airbox around so that the cai can travel a more direct route from the drivers side directly and more straight into the t/b?

Could be a lot of mucking around for the gain (if any) and exhaust manifold heat might be an issue too?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #69
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Thats fine .But if the broadband manifold is not flowing optimally maybe its a bottle neck? The inline six also has 6 throttle plates in the way of each of the intake runners.Even when fully open surely this must create more restriction than over a no butterfly runner.Dont you think?
I dont believe the bbm is a bottleneck at all. Working backwards from the VE values and actual AFR in my current tune the efficiency of the BBM is actually 102%! Remember that although there is 6 throttle plates in the runners, there are 12 runners in the BBM. Dont worry about them restricting you.

Biggest restriction for my engine has been fuel. My injectors are running at #21 at the current fuel pressure and are hitting 95% duty cycle with afr's between 12.2 and 12.8. I helped out on another MS2 install the other week and so far that engine is following the same trend.

I played around with larger throttle bodies a while ago as well. Going from stock TB to ported TB lost 1rwkw.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #70
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Have you any experience in flash tuning the AU VCT engine, as I am getting one soon and would like to know what sort of performance increase i can expect along with a 2.5 exhaust and pacemaker comp headers.
Old 14-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #71
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Have you any experience in flash tuning the AU VCT engine, as I am getting one soon and would like to know what sort of performance increase i can expect along with a 2.5 exhaust and pacemaker comp headers.
Not as yet but I'm sure that we'll see similar gains,maybe a bit more low end.I'm sure casper could shed some light on this,he's seen it first hand.
Old 14-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #72
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

I think these cars will show some serious potential now the flash tuner is being used. I suppose much of this stuff is still unchartered territory, yet a huge market is availible.

A happy customer is a good customer, well done to the lucky customer and the G and D boys, this is what its all about.
Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #73
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

I'm eager to see proven results for a I6 with a cam. I know thta my fuel map is ИИИИty down low and expect to get a vast improvement (when I can afford it) down there, but I'm also interesed in what I can get up top. Planning a trip to the east coast later this year, might need to save a bit extra spending money and come get a tune, seems you boys are getting the extra special results that noone else here in adelaide is able to.
Well Done and I'm keen to see more as time progresses.

https://****boxrally2015.everydayher.../martini-rally

Ford Courier XLT Crew Cab, 160rwkW+ AUII Forte Family Sedan is now the Race Car!!!
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 11:14 AM   #74
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Not as yet but I'm sure that we'll see similar gains,maybe a bit more low end.I'm sure casper could shed some light on this,he's seen it first hand.
You'e right about the gains. Although I havent seen an actual edit tune done to a VCT the concept of fuel, spark and timing is all the same (its just that an edit appears to be able to do more with limiters etc as well and is easily avaliable) as most other ECU Tuning systems. Most VCT's will pick up around 8-10% peak power but thats not really the main story. The mid to top end rpm's (2500-4500) pick up the lions share of any improvements with the power coming on much earlier and reaching 90% of peak significantly earlier. Torque is greatly improved too.

So, to look at the dyno graph on an tuned VCT will show some improvements, driving it will blow your mind, it will feel like a different car.
Quote:
Given that the AU edit is still very new and the VCT not a common engine there will be few that will know what they are doing with the edit tuning of it at this point. I'm pretty sure Glenn at G&D is one of the few with significant AU edit tuning experiance at this point and certianly one of the very few I would trust to do that sort of work on my car. Edit tuning, if done wrong, can do expensive damage. If you are going to get it then make sure its pro's like G&D.

Old 14-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #75
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Given that the AU edit is still very new and the VCT not a common engine there will be few that will know what they are doing with the edit tuning of it at this point. I'm pretty sure Glenn at G&D is one of the few with significant AU edit tuning experiance at this point and certianly one of the very few I would trust to do that sort of work on my car. Edit tuning, if done wrong, can do expensive damage. If you are going to get it then make sure its pro's like G&D.
Thanks for the reply, given that I will not be getting the car until the end of the financial year (fathers old company car) there may have been some more development work done on the VCT engine. If not, then given I am quite close to G&D geographically I will be happy for them to do some R&D when the time comes. I am hoping for around 150rwkw from an AU1 5 Speed XR6 VCT, so hopefully this is possible without a cam change (are there even change over cams?), or head work.
Old 14-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #76
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here is an idea of how a VCT engine with similar mods will respond to a better set of maps. Albeit , its not an edit but it will give you an idea of how the VCT responds to ECU improvements. Dont focus so much on peak power , but the increase lower in the rev range , which is where the VCT's cam advance comes into its own.

Oh , and there are other cams available for the VCT motor , developed by another I6 performance house , JMM.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #77
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, given that I will not be getting the car until the end of the financial year (fathers old company car) there may have been some more development work done on the VCT engine. If not, then given I am quite close to G&D geographically I will be happy for them to do some R&D when the time comes. I am hoping for around 150rwkw from an AU1 5 Speed XR6 VCT, so hopefully this is possible without a cam change (are there even change over cams?), or head work.
Should be easily acheivable using the same formula.Look forward to the day we see your new beast in our shop.
Old 15-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #78
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I must say I'm looking forward to seeing some VCT edits myself. I'm still a bit of an edit sceptic but it took the BA's almost a year to get it right so I'm assuming in a few more months the AU edit will be fully understood and some interesting numbers comong out. Keep us informed Glenn.

Old 15-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #79
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
I must say I'm looking forward to seeing some VCT edits myself. I'm still a bit of an edit sceptic but it took the BA's almost a year to get it right so I'm assuming in a few more months the AU edit will be fully understood and some interesting numbers comong out. Keep us informed Glenn.
The good thing is that all the software glitches that have taken up most of the time with the BA have been sorted.This has fast tracked the AU software.It is a pleasure to use & gets results.If there are any track orientated guys out there that wan't to see their AU run well into the 13 sec bracket we beleive we have the required knowledge & tools to do it.We'll back anyone who invests in us all the way from our dyno to the track.G&D have a big year planned for Ford.
Old 15-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #80
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
The good thing is that all the software glitches that have taken up most of the time with the BA have been sorted.This has fast tracked the AU software.It is a pleasure to use & gets results.If there are any track orientated guys out there that wan't to see their AU run well into the 13 sec bracket we beleive we have the required knowledge & tools to do it.We'll back anyone who invests in us all the way from our dyno to the track.G&D have a big year planned for Ford.
Music to my ears, expect to see me in July this year, roll on the VCT
:sm_headba
Old 15-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #81
Stav
Smile

The edit is good Micky..G&D seem motivated enough to do it right!!

It has come a long way in recent times.

Old 16-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #82
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Music to my ears, expect to see me in July this year, roll on the VCT
:sm_headba
Look forward to it.We need to see some 13 sec AU's.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #83
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G&D, do you have any agents, associates in Adelaide that you could reccommend for the tuning of the edit? Whilst mine has been done, it was the tuner's first AU and I am not convinced I am getting the maximum potential from it. Thanks, Duane. :
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #84
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
We'll back anyone who invests in us all the way from our dyno to the track.G&D have a big year planned for Ford.
Returning customer phone calls would be a good start though.. been over a month and I still havent recieved a call with quotes and to organise a date to get my car in there..
too long in my opinion, my car is now booked in elsewhere..

but good luck to you over the year.. hopefully will see some mopre fast falcons coming out of your workshop
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #85
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Returning customer phone calls would be a good start though.. been over a month and I still havent recieved a call with quotes and to organise a date to get my car in there..

but good luck to you over the year.. hopefully will see some mopre fast falcons coming out of your workshop
ouch.

:
Old 17-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #86
SpoolMan

Quote:
Hi Stiddy, were you coming for a visit from Sydney?

Old 17-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #87
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Hi Stiddy, were you coming for a visit from Sydney?
Yep I was planning on staying in Vic for another week or so after the Aufalcon BBQ day so the car can get the estimated $4500 worth of work that was discussed with one of the guys at GnD.. or maybe even before then..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #88
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

It's been a while since I've been on the forum and it's good to come back and see that G&D's commitment to the AU is still strong and that they are getting impressive results.

3 questions:

1) How much is the AU box fitted. Is it still at the $595 mark?
2) What changes are their to induction noise? Because I know the BA's picked up a nice little roar with these boxes on but I'm curious whether there is any noise change to the AU16 with the box fitted.
3) Can I book the car in for a Saturday?

Cheers!
Krissy.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #89
G&D PERFORMANCE

Quote:

1000 apologies.We had a major hard drive failure & lost much data including quotes in progress & customer info recently,I'd say that yours was in this lot.We strive to keep our customer relations to an extremely high level.It kills me to read this as you would've been a perfect track ambassador for us & we would have appreciated your buisiness.It would be crazy for us to neglect you.We have a few new options now that could have benefited you too.

Sorry mate
Glenn
Old 18-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #90
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL_AU6
3 questions:

1) How much is the AU box fitted. Is it still at the $595 mark?
2) What changes are their to induction noise? Because I know the BA's picked up a nice little roar with these boxes on but I'm curious whether there is any noise change to the AU16 with the box fitted.
3) Can I book the car in for a Saturday?

Cheers!
Krissy.

1. Yes the box is $595 fitted with pod filter

2. I assume there would have to be a change in note / induction noise. There is on the AU 8's

3. I'm pretty sure you can book it for a saturday. They dont work every saturday but the will if they have to, And I SAY THEY HAVE TO for the sake of us FORD FANS!!!!!

KEV...................

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT