Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
Bombers Rule
Starter Motor

Default New Headunit installed (almost) rear sensors and antena

Hi i installed a new chinese headunit over the weekend. bought the unit about 18months ago and just been sitting in my garage. Anyway when I pulled out the old unit there were two cables on the bottom left of the unit. I figured one was the antena and I need an adapter to connect it. I just ordered one off ebay

now i need an adapter for the reverse parking sensors. can someone advise what type of adapter to get.
I still need to finish mapping the steering wheel controls but should be no problems. It is also wanting me to be connected for google maps to work. any idea on how I can get maps working offline. Unit is running andriod 5.1.1 Lollipop.

Noticed today that it connects bluetooth to my phones [apple and android] but microphone from above driver head (ceiling light console) is no longer working. Any ideas how to get it working. Finally, I wanted to take out the glove box to run the gps cable up the side trim on the left hand side and not sure how to get it out.

Car is Mondeo MC tdci Wagon 2010. Great car bought it in may 2015 with 141k and done another 60K in it. Tow a small pop up camper trailer with it. Get 800-900km per tank driving it to around town and to work. replaced timing belt at 195km.

Got a few dints and plenty of carpark dints in the door. any ideas on easy ways to fix these.
Attached Images
File Type: png dvd-mondeo.png (14.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Bombers Rule; 12-03-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: car model
Bombers Rule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: New Headunit installed (almost) rear sensors and antena

Hi Bombers, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your experience installing the replacement head unit, good to hear it's mostly going well. I've been tempted but shied away from that kind of upgrade due to the level of integration with the car's other systems (Convers+, parking sensors, etc) - I don't want to lose anything I currently enjoy with the factory Sony unit, even if I would get these other cool features...

Can't help with the adaptor for parking sensors, sorry.
Regarding the microphone, I think these replacement units normally have one built-in (does it have a hole labelled MIC?) so it may not be possible to take an external input from the stock one.

For offline maps, here are instructions from Google, do these steps work?
Download areas and navigate offline

I also have a couple of dents and dings in my car and have been looking at ways to fix them. Have a search for paintless dent removal or PDR on YouTube, there are good videos of the techniques to push and pull dents out of body panels without needing to repaint. It's not easy but looks achievable. You can buy PDR glue pull kits off ebay to do it yourself inexpensively. I've been intending to give it a go but have been holding off until my schedule clears a little, otherwise it's likely I'd order it and then it would sit in the garage for 18 months ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
bananasnblow
Starter Motor

offline google maps work a treat. Rear cam might be an idea? Why connect rear sensors to the headunit, as this is managed by Convers+ or am I wrong? What brand model is your unit?
bananasnblow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Bombers Rule
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananasnblow View Post
offline google maps work a treat. Rear cam might be an idea? Why connect rear sensors to the headunit, as this is managed by Convers+ or am I wrong? What brand model is your unit?
Thanks for the feedback. Sensors working fine not linked to headunit.
Have ordered an adapter cable for the arial connection to the new headunit. Will download Google maps and work with that for offline use. Have IGO sd card provided but not working at the moment.
I need some time to connect to my home network and ensure the firmware is the latest.

Overall very happy with unit. Will post some pictures after I get it put back in.
Cheers
Bombers Rule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
bananasnblow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombers Rule View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Sensors working fine not linked to headunit.
Have ordered an adapter cable for the arial connection to the new headunit. Will download Google maps and work with that for offline use. Have IGO sd card provided but not working at the moment.
I need some time to connect to my home network and ensure the firmware is the latest.

Overall very happy with unit. Will post some pictures after I get it put back in.
Cheers
Re firmware, be sure you use the right one - I bricked mine flashing the wrong firmware.
bananasnblow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post