Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Kiteboarder
Starter Motor

Default Focus LWMKiii genuine towbar install

Hi all,

I recently got a genuine ford focus towbar off a LW MKii from the wreckers to fit my LW Mkii 2013 year focus. I installed the towbar, the wiring loom with the 12 pin plug as well as the controller module. I pluged everything into the control module, all the cars lights still functioned correctly so I assumed I was good to go, and then I connected a trailer.... Its an LED trailer and the lights flash rapidly, I have tried the ford connector for LED lights and that has stopped the flashing but the trailer lights still don't function. I get no signal through the 12 pin plug, the mulimeter shows 3-4V and 0.1A. Any input from the indicators or brake ect doesnt change this reading.

Any ideas? Anything I have missed on installation?
Kiteboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Focus LWMKiii genuine towbar install

Let's step back a bit.

I believe it's actually a 13 pin plug (the alternate being a 7 pin).

Power for the plug is sourced from the module itself. There is a Blue/Red feed wire into the module that provides power so check that you have 12V there. It's power source is Fuse 26 in the engine bay junction box.

I'm not sure whether the trailer module has to be configured in WDS but the fact that you are getting some response would suggest not.

A quick check is to read the voltage on Pin 9 or 10 as they are both straight 12V feeds.

Diagrams below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13PinEU.JPG (29.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg LW_Trailer_Module.jpg (56.8 KB, 11 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Kiteboarder
Starter Motor

Thanks for the reply Russel,

I have gone over the module with the multi meter again. I can confirm that I get a constant 12V feed from the blue and red wire.
I have the flat plug type that has 5 large pins up top and 7 small pins down below.

The module is a Trailer tow module AM5J-19H378-AC

The output pins on the module only show about 5v in a pulse.

What is WDS?

Its as if the module is being sent a signal telling all lights to flash as something isnt set up right...
Old 18-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

WDS is the Ford diagnostic system used to analyse and configure the various electronic modules in modern cars.

Can't really think of anything else.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Is this a sedan or hatch? I have attached below the wiring instructions for both anyway for your reference. Yes the towbar module needs to be programmed to the vehicle using an IDS (WDS was the old diagnostic machine and IDS is now being relaced with FDRS).

https://www.fordforums.com.au/attach...1&d=1547776424

https://www.fordforums.com.au/attach...1&d=1547776424
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LW2 Focus Hatch Towbar Wiring.pdf (1.18 MB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf LW2 Focus Sedan Towbar Electrics.pdf (1.20 MB, 21 views)
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Kiteboarder
Starter Motor

Thank you so much GTLEGEND, this was exactly the information I was after.
This confirms that it is all installed correctly and more importantly step 14 confirms what I thought, it requires a reprogram of the IDS. After speaking to 2 ford dealerships the third one I spoke to said they can do this for me! Yay.

Thanks again for your input and resources it is greatly appreciated.
Old 18-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

No problem, glad to help. Which dealer helped you in the end?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post