Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Neme
Needav8

Default AU3 XR8 calipers, difference from BF/FG etc?

Been looking at the usual brake upgrades etc.... One option I've seen by chance (for FG owners) is buying new spacers for FG front calipers to let them fit the 322mm rotors....

However, looking at what pics I can find, and my own brakes, I'm wondering what is the actual difference between the calipers?

I ask because when you look at the AU3's factory brakes, the calipers in the front are pretty bloody big, and they look almost identical (casting etc) to the FG brakes I've seen for sale. It's only the rotor that is tiny....

If you can buy a spacer to move the FG caliper out to suit a bigger rotor, what are the odds they work on the AU3 calipers?

Here's mine, crazy small rotor for a big caliper:

These FG calipers that would need a spacer looking exactly the same housing etc?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-BA-B...r/142524134084
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
te5000

Default Re: AU3 XR8 calipers, difference from BF/FG etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme View Post
Been looking at the usual brake upgrades etc.... One option I've seen by chance (for FG owners) is buying new spacers for FG front calipers to let them fit the 322mm rotors....

However, looking at what pics I can find, and my own brakes, I'm wondering what is the actual difference between the calipers?

I ask because when you look at the AU3's factory brakes, the calipers in the front are pretty bloody big, and they look almost identical (casting etc) to the FG brakes I've seen for sale. It's only the rotor that is tiny....

If you can buy a spacer to move the FG caliper out to suit a bigger rotor, what are the odds they work on the AU3 calipers?

Here's mine, crazy small rotor for a big caliper:

These FG calipers that would need a spacer looking exactly the same housing etc?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-BA-B...r/142524134084
When you put the au caliper beside even BA calipers they are physically smaller . The AU3 on top and BA below

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
te5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

The problem is disc size.
AU's run a 289 diameter disc.
Bf/FG have 298.

The adaptor on an AU caliper won't take you to a 322 disc.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

What about the AU vs BA mounting points ? Been trying to find if they are similar on the caliper itself ??
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

To the upright?
Definately yes. Both my AU's have have BA calipers.

To the slide pins on the caliper?
Not sure.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
te5000

You can bolt on ba /f calipers direct to AU3 stubs using ba/f discs. Mounting points are same. AU1 are same mount sizes but different stub axle design.. i run BF 6pot brembos on AU3 stubs/uprights. Another of our cars has the standard ba/f calipers mounted on AU stub / uprights.
If you wish for a dirt cheap upgrade ba calipers and discs drop straight onto AU3

2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by te5000 View Post
Another of our cars has the standard ba/f calipers mounted on AU stub / uprights.
Hi te5000, just wondering if you were referring to a AU1 & if so, can you please share any info on how this was achieved? Any info greatly appreciated!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 AM   #8
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi te5000, just wondering if you were referring to a AU1 & if so, can you please share any info on how this was achieved? Any info greatly appreciated!

cheers, Maka
Probably not, au1 is nothing like au2/3 ba/bf.
Au 2/3 brakes wont go on au1 let alone ba/bf.

Fg goes on au2/3 ba/bf i think by switching left and right calipers.

Best thing for au1 is au 2/3 front end conversion, then brake upgrade.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
te5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Probably not, au1 is nothing like au2/3 ba/bf.
Au 2/3 brakes wont go on au1 let alone ba/bf.

Fg goes on au2/3 ba/bf i think by switching left and right calipers.

Best thing for au1 is au 2/3 front end conversion, then brake upgrade.
You are right mcfly. AU1 are different. The first pic shows AU 3. Then there is ba upright with brembo. Then AU2 with AUpremo brakes (factory fitted). Last pic shows au1 vs au3. 1 on left 3 on right. Note that there is a difference between caliper mount points. Fitting big brakes to au1(like brembo) can go on but they hit tie rods, you have to change to later uprights as well as swaybars.

Last edited by Raptor; 09-10-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Bloody tapatalk, grrr. Put a space btw the images.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
te5000

Quote:

cheers, Maka
No AU1 big brake upgrade is a lot of work. Change upright and swaybar that would include drilling the chassis rail and installing nutserts in the rail to mount the sway bar brackets

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi te5000, thanks for your reply mate. Yeah i know about what fits what & how, i just wanted you to confirm which model in the quote as it was a tiny bit ambiguous & thought you may be referring to AU1.

As a AU1 owner any tips or new tricks to have upgrade brakes are always welcome & handy, I'll be doing the conversion soon. Cant wait!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
te5000

Quote:
Hi te5000, thanks for your reply mate. Yeah i know about what fits what & how, i just wanted you to confirm which model in the quote as it was a tiny bit ambiguous & thought you may be referring to AU1.

As a AU1 owner any tips or new tricks to have upgrade brakes are always welcome & handy, I'll be doing the conversion soon. Cant wait!

cheers, Maka
Typing with a phone sux for me so answers/comments tend to be a little short and a little disjointed. By the way the other pic i put up in this thread shows a t1 te50 with 6pot brembos. It can be done

Old 10-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neme View Post

And just to answer that question here is a pic of the AU 2/3 caliper compared to the 322mm disc caliper out of BF Turbo.

PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

See this => Falcon Brake Dimensions XK-FG (it's in the Tech Resources area)

Slight variation between the models on both master cylinder bore and front caliper piston diameter (x2).

Old 11-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Is there any real advantage to upgrading the rear calipers and discs on my AU2 XR8 to, say, BF items?

I get that they are bigger, but realistically, will I notice a difference? I need new discs and pads on the rear and am thinking about doing the upgrade while I am there.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Any ideas guys?

Oo\===/oO
Old 16-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Is there any real advantage to upgrading the rear calipers and discs on my AU2 XR8 to, say, BF items?

I get that they are bigger, but realistically, will I notice a difference? I need new discs and pads on the rear and am thinking about doing the upgrade while I am there.
There's very little improvement in performance, it's mainly a looks thing - slightly bigger rotor to fill the wheels.
Having said that, it's a very straightforward mod, and quite cheap.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thanks Sox!

Oo\===/oO
Old 17-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've upgraded my BF N/A to Turbo brakes all round (Did the fronts a few years ago and the rears only a few months back) The fronts make a bigger difference, but I think the rears were also worthwhile to upgrade, and they are pretty cheap to obtain from a Territory.

Years ago we upgraded my Dad's AU2 XR to BF Turbo brakes front and rear and it made a massive difference so would highly recommend on an AU.