Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
whitesoarer

Default Steering rack queries

Hi guys, ever since owning my Ghia it's had heaps of slop in the steering, and wears the outside edges of the front tyres even after an alignment. I took it to a steering and suspension joint and they diagnosed it as a worn rack - they can supply and fit a new (reco?) one for $675, not including wheel alignment.

Can a rack be worn even if it doesn't leak or make any strange noises?
And is $675 a decent price to have it replaced?

cheers

whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Steering rack queries

Not disputing what they say but if there's somewhere else you can go for a second opinion then do it. I had a "heap of slop" in my steering a while back and it turned out to be the steering intermediate shaft (runs basically from the bottom of the steering column to the steering rack (Engine bay side)) They are unavailable new and AFAIK are not available aftermarket so you'd have to find a good one at the wreckers.

Personally, i find $675 (plus a wheel alignment) a bit rich - there's places on Ebay that can do totally recon racks for around $300 exchange - does it take $300 to fit?? But then, my rack is starting to leak and the answer I got when I asked was around $550 fitted and that was with a wheel alignment.

So yeah, all I can say is do a bit of ringing around and see what you get.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

$675.00 is way too much - pretty sure i paid around $300 fitted but that was a cash job and i was sure the reco rack was $200????

Get a second opinion as XR6WAG recommended

Copy post in my build thread:- http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ck#post3399182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Steering Rack was leaking so got a new one

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

As said get a 2nd opinion. As stated the intermediate shaft gives you play I your steering ie you have to turn a fair bit before wheels actually move. Wearing of tires also sounds like it cOuld be camber related

Price seems expensive if they were including new power steering lines or intermediate shaft replaced it'd be good price. They are easy to fit yourself just need a wheel alignment after
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
whitesoarer

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah I thought $675 was way too steep. I took it to another mechanic, not a suspension place this time, and they reckon it's the intermediate shaft. They also found play in one of the camber kit bushes and refused to do an alignment until it's replaced. This could explain why my front tyres are wearing so unevenly. The suspension place missed this entirely, and went so far as to say that the front end was fine.
Old 22-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
whitesoarer

Just letting yas know I got my Ghia fixed and you guys (and the mechanic) were spot on, it was the intermediate shaft. They couldn't get a new one (don't make them anymore) but sourced a good condition 2nd hand one and wow, the difference between old and new is night and day. They also replaced the front upper control arm bushes and the car feels almost as good as new. I'm over the moon with how it drives now

Last edited by whitesoarer; 22-12-2011 at 12:13 PM.