Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 13-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
giesse
Starter Motor

Default TX5 Ghia V6 Auto - some questions

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a '94 TX5 Ghia V6 Auto - brilliant car, love it.

But I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1 - Fuel economy in town - there seem to be varying opinions about this. The published figure (I believe) is 11.5l/100km - I'm getting about 12.5-13. I would have expected something around the 11-11.5 figure. I've read figures from 10-13 from different people. It goes VERY nicely, but even driving gently it seems way too much fuel for a 2.5l. Any suggestions on what I might do to improve this? BTW, 98oct premium made NO difference - just cost more!

2 - Can anyone tell me how the heck you get into the dash to change the stereo? There don't appear to be any screws to remove the plastic panel, so I assume there are clips - but I don't want to force it and break something.

3 - The tyres on the car are apparently the same as original - Bridgestone Potenza RE71. They seem to be a nice tyre, but very noisy. The car itself is very quiet, but you can usually hear a lot of road noise which can get annoying. Has anyone found a quiet alternative, or is it just because of the 55 profile?

4 - Cruise control. Mine seems to take a LONG time to kick in when you hit the SET button - maybe 10-15 secs at times. This is odd. You think it didn't work, then eventually it starts to grab the pedal and take over. Is this just mine, or do they all do that?

Thanks for reading my long post!

giesse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
TX5_AX
Low EF

i got a 92 which i believe has the same interrior,
considerd changing my head unit, but at closer inspection found it was going to be a mission, unsure how to go about this, a mate sed it looks like u have to take out the middle console.

i find when my sterio isnt blasting i do get a bit of raod noise, but i got tunes playing 99% of the time.

when i set my cruise control at lets say 100 and take my foot off the pedal it usually slows down to about 96km before the cruise control engages and the pedal goes in and accelerates back to 100. if u set the cruise control and leave ur foot steady on the same speed, u can take ur foot off about 3-4 seconds after and it will continue at same speed.
TX5_AX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
giesse
Starter Motor

Yes, same car, basically.

It looks to me as though there's a fair bit of work involved, but surely someone else on this forum has changed a stereo before.

I've found that the cruise seems to kick in faster if you take your foot off the accelerator and let it pick back up than just waiting for it to take over - although it might just be me.
giesse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 92 TX5 5spd and basically suffered all the problems you mention. Mine was terrible on fuel for a 2.5L! I got it in order to save fuel over the AU I was driving before, but the TX5 was exactly the same if not worse.

Just the nature of the beast I think.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just got a MX6 a couple of days ago and the cruise control is the same
you press the button and think to yourself sh#t its stoped working and then just as your about to press it again BAM off it goes
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post