Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 31-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default KE Laser brakes

I have an 89 KE Laser and the brakes are s**t. Everything is in good working order discs, pads,linings, lines ,no leaks , wheel cylinders are OK, fluid changed recently,bled properly but they are stil crap. I guess they came like that back in 89 but without spending a bomb I would like to improve them. I have not heard any real good reports about swaping the rears for discs and thats a bit too expensive anyways. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say you could just go some real good brake pads. Lasers dont weigh much anyway so dont think ud really need rear disc brakes. Maybe a different type of brake fluid? Are they adjusted properly. Usually they will get adjusted at services.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Id say you could just go some real good brake pads. Lasers dont weigh much anyway so dont think ud really need rear disc brakes. Maybe a different type of brake fluid? Are they adjusted properly. Usually they will get adjusted at services.
They are lousy to adjust and yes they are adjusted correctly, pads make a bit of difference but my experience is not enough in this application. As for discs the turbo had them on and have known of some conversions but too expensive. I know its only a light car but you only need 2 hard applications and theres not much more left in them.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
boostyb6t

remove the calipers and take the mounting slides out of them. sand this with wet and dry. re-lube with high temp grease and replace seals if necessary. make a huge difference when the caliper can slide properly. go nuts
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
VippiN
What a performer!

You can change over everything from a FWD Turbo KE TX3, bolts straight on and you get bigger everything. Won't break the bank either.
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
Hank the Deuce
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I know its only a light car but you only need 2 hard applications and theres not much more left in them.
That'd be more a function of your pads than anything else... I know what you mean though - my last KC would run out of stop halfway down Bulli Pass if I was using the brakes way back when I lived near there... plenty of pedal pressure and all, but they'd just get hot and stinky and wouldn't pull the thing up. Mind you, they were OK for everything else I ever asked of them...

If you're looking for more than two good stops, you'd be best to speak with your local reputable brake station about something more suitable...